Weatherby vanguard submoa?

My vanguard shoots sub MOA in 257 Wby. .53 in. It was not a "sub MOA" version. But--- The trigger was terrible. Rough, creepy and hard. A new Timney fixed that problem but there's a $100 spent. I went ahead and put a Boyd's pepper laminate, thumbhole stock on it and had it glass bedded. It shot the .53 in. group before I did any of that though. It's a real nice rifle but I wish they made it in a 26" or at least a 25" version.
Would I buy another Vanguard?
That would be a caliber sensative decision. It's a real nice, accurate rifle but I believe Wby should of demanded a better trigger from Howa if the Wby. name was going on the rifle. As far as the sub MOA rifle. I believe it is way overpriced. Especially since you get the same "junk" trigger.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I just got a vangard in .300 WBY and the thing shoots awesome with 180g NBT's and RL-22. My load work up produced a .7" 3 shot group at 100 yards so I figured for a back up rifle/load this would be plenty accurate, even with that shitty trigger...Well I got a timney from a real nice guy who sent it to me free of charge. After I installed the trigger, my next 2 groups at 100 yards were .250"-.350" for 3 shots. I am very surprised to say the least! For a $400 rifle, the thing shoots pretty good. About that 24" tube though... Only getting 3075fps from the 180g bullet. Guess I can live with it since the rifle is averaging .5" MOA.

Dont know if I would pay the extra money for the sub moa version. Hell I cant think of any rifle besides 1 savage that I owned that I couldn't get 3/4" group at 100 yards with its preferred reloads.

How is the stock? does it feel soft in the forend section?

forgot to mention that yes, the factory triggers were TERRIBLE. both of my vanguards are also sporting new & wonderful timney triggers. this bumps the price of a vanguard up another hundred bucks, which for the money, puts you at another price point altogether. for the extra cash, the vanguard isn't quite the same value. i agee entirely that weatherby should have a better trigger if they're putting their trademark on it.

Back