Well, prep work is about done...

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Took 5 rifles to the range yesterday---

1: My father's M70FWT in 7mm08 (FN-made rifle)
2: My father's M70FWT in 6.5x55 (Classic)
3: My 264WM
4: My pre64 30-06
5: My Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70

This wasn't load work, these needed to have zero's fine tuned and final adjustments made for hunting season. Dad was struggling with his two at the range to get a good zero on them, so I said I'd take them and dial them in for him.

7-08 Results
Shot it at 200 yards, took about 6 shots to get it about zero'ed up at 200. He had some loads made with the black lubalox CT Ballistic Tips, and some with "regular" BT's. I zero'ed it up with the regular BT's, which were shooting about 2-2.5" at 200 yards. Not bad. I shot the CT's and they went into a nice little triangle of about 1.5". Wow. OK....and that was about 2" off from the "regular" BT's. So...rezeroed with the CT's, shot again, landed 2 right at an inch apart, about a 1/4-minute left of point of aim and dead on for elevation. I called it good and put it back on the rack. Velocities averaged out around 2600fps and they are 140gr BT's. Not a screamer, but he's killed a fair number of deer with this load and it's done well to put deer down fast.

6.5x55 Results
Also went to 200...this one was a pain in the butt. I also noticed the "Conquest" he has on it had very different turrets than any Conquest I've ever seen. I looked at the ocular, and saw "Diavari". It's one of the US-made Diavari C's, 3-9x36. SUPERB scope....not that his 3-9 Conquest on the 7-08 is "bad," but the Diavari was pretty nice. Downside, the turrets suck. They are not easy to twist, and it's easy to get screwed up on clicks, as it's tight to turn, then it'll go and go more than you want. It also seems to be overly responsive to clicks, meaning it was moving more than I anticipated. I was all over the paper on this one, "bracketing" the target and walking in from both sides till I got it to give me a decent triangle group of 2.5-2.75" at 300, about 1/2-minute right of POA and good for elevation. Called that one good. Speeds averaged at 2800fps for a 130AB. Should make quick work of whitetails if he uses it.

264WM results
Didn't rework the load here, just wanted to verify zero. It was hitting about 8" left and a little high, so I worked it back in where I wanted it. I didn't really shoot for groups, but when I did shoot consecutive shots with the same scope setting, they were staying within an inch at 200. Got it lined up just a HAIR right of POA (less than a click on the scope) and about 2-2.25" high at 200. This gives a max mid-range rise of 2.75-2.8" at 150 yards, and 1.8-2.0" low at 300 yards.

I ran the chrony on this load, as there is very slight resistance on the bolt lift, and I know I need to back it down next year, but I have no shooting left to do other than one or two to verify when we get to SC in 3 weeks, and then whatever deer I shoot with it. Anyway, the three shots I ran over the chrono read 3326, 3325, and 3316. Now, the chrono was in bright sun, and Dad's 6.5 ran 2890 until the sun went in the clouds, then it read 2775-2825. If the same pattern holds, the 264 would be running 3225-3250. Dang. That's cookin'.

pre64 results
This rifle is not my most accurate, but dang if it doesn't seem to be my most reliable. First shot went high left. It hasn't been shot in nearly a year, though. Next shot went PRECISELY where I aimed (at 200 yards). 3rd shot landed 1.5-2" from first, again, at 200 yards. Done. Smacked some steel at 300 for fun, put it on the rack.

45-70 results
Also didn't need load work. I'm running the loads I got from the seller when I bought it a while back, which is a decent charge of H4198 and 350gr Hornady Flat Points. Chrono gave me 1890fps for speeds.

Took a little fiddling on the scope at 100, but I made the final adjustment and thought "that should be about right". Aimed for the point of a diamond on the target, and the center of the hole the bullet made was right at the tip of the diamond. Wow. Done. When I did shoot two consecutive shots with no scope changes, they landed about 1" apart, center to center, at 100. Zero'ed at 100, as I don't plan to use that rifle in anything but thick stuff, but I shot it at 200 to check drop, which is 12-13", about what I expected. Smacked some steel at 200, and put it up on the rack.

As of right now, my only two deer rifles (except my old 1917 sporter) out of commission are the Whelen and the 300H&H. I think the Whelen has some bedding issues I need to tweak, and the 300H&H needs a spacer for one of the action screws (needed this in the old stock, too, just forgot when I put the new stock on it). I think I can get the 300 back in the fight pretty quickly. The Whelen, I don't know. Most likely not in time for SC, but I'm hoping it's good for the PA rifle season after Thanksgiving. If I can get those two back online, I'll actually have EVERY rifle ready to "grab and go" for hunting season, which has NEVER happened before, lol.

My load development over the summer focused on my 300WSM, 270 Win (a pre64), and my father's fwt 30-06. The last session with them saw them all aat 0.75-1.2MOA at 300 yards. I have the 270 moving a 150PT at 2960. The 300WSM is moving a 180PT at a QL-projected 2850, BUT...I never got a chance to chrono that, and based on real world observed drops, it should be getting more like 2950fps. Either way, it'll kill deer nicely. That one did 3.6" at 300, but 2 were an inch apart and third I figured out was due to operator error. Future shots didn't "stray" like that. Dad's 06 had been shooting 3-5" at 100....got that one to give me 2.8" at 300 with a 165BT at about 2700. Drops align with the velocity estimate, but didn't get to chrono that one either. It's tough to chrono when I'm not the only one at the range.

Looks like my SC hunt will be with the 270, the 300WSM, and the 264WM. 270 gets first at-bat till it kills something. Foul weather will bring out the 300WSM, and the 264 is there for longer reaching stands (there's a few where 300-325 is possible). I have the 270 at my usual 200 yard zero. Doesn't make 300 yards impossible AT ALL, but the 264 is literally point and shoot to 300-325 yards, no range data needed.

Sorry for the lengthy post...but that's what I've been up to all summer. ;)

Always a joy to work with old friends, verifying that they still do what they've always done. Good and satisfying report, Tom.

Thanks, guys.

Best part of the work was getting my father's stuff up and running for him. He's at the point that loading and range work are tedious for him, I think, so it was good to get them all sorted out for him.

Didn't forget it. Just haven't finished it. I think I buggered the bedding. May be a quick fix. I wanted to get the rest ready for action and then problem solve it. If my theory is correct, and if I get time to do the fix, it may be good to go and get proofed at the range on Sunday. It's not often that I'm that lucky, but I think it's close.

Tom putting in the time and effort always pays off in the end :wink:!
I am glad you are ready for what ever is coming up.

Blessings,
Dan

I had one of the old Diavari C Zeiss, 3-9x36 scopes. My son has it now and it is still going strong after 30 years. His is mounted on a .300 WSM Browning which shoots really good groups. The turrets on those old Diavari's are a little flaky compared to the newer Diavari V/VM's but the optics are nothing to be ashamed of.

That's alot of rifles! Man, with all them other rifles Tom, you could send me that old 300. I'll take good care of it. Who wants to monkey around with that old tapered case anyhow.. :lol:

SJB358":n5n2aovm said:
That's alot of rifles! Man, with all them other rifles Tom, you could send me that old 300. I'll take good care of it. Who wants to monkey around with that old tapered case anyhow.. :lol:

Man, the generosity on this site just brings tears to my eyes.

I'm surprised you didn't offer to partner with Scotty as you did when I first acquired that 300...

:lol:

Well, I witnessed how parsimonious you can be with sharing your toys, Tom. Figured you'd find some excuse not to permit a genuine, qualified and beloved rifle crank make your firearm shine. However, you just might slip up and let the young Marine shoot it.

Tom,

You had a busy range day. Sounds like you are set to go.
Are you running the 130 gr AB in the 264WM?

JD338

tddeangelo":2kxo1z4y said:
Hmmm......I think Scotty took a hit in that comment....

:lol:

Not a thought of attack. Gentle and kind, that's my motto. 8)

I think you should come to my house and do load development. That's outstanding results.

Jim, 140AB in the 264, 130AB in the Swede.

Elkman.....can I proof the developed loads on elk? :)

And thank you...it was a lot of loading bench and shooting bench work, but...I'm a better shooter, and I learned a lot along the way, as one always does when doing such things.

Back