Wet Tumbling ?

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Anyone wet tumbling? I currently use southern shine media with dawn dish soap, and a dash of lemishine. I've read about others using car wash/wax but don't know what brand is best.

I've been wondering, could you use purple power or simple green since they're both degreasers?

What works for you or what do you use to wash / clean your brass?

6.5_sWv":155vyxtu said:
I currently use southern shine media with dawn dish soap, and a dash of lemishine.

This is exactly what I use. I switched from pins to the media chips , no more shaking pins out of cases.

I just started wet tumbling last year. Love it.

I'm using Lyman Turbo Clean, and it works pretty well.

I use dishwasher and some citric acid plus steel-pins.
They look like new afterwards.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Lol. I use what’re is laying around.

I’ve used blue coral car wash, turtle wax car wash, Walmart car wash,

Always with lemishine. I find the tumbling is very forgiving to variation.

Did a batch of 45/70 last night. 1 hour and they looked fabulous!

So my routine. Deprime, anneal, size, trim.
Then I tumble them. Gives me a consistent clean neck tension. The whole cycle took less than 2 hours last night. I annealed half, into a metal bread pan, set it on the concrete floor to cool. Did the other half, went right into FL sizing with the cool batch, measure, trim, tumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler and use the stainless steel pins. Brass looks like new, inside and out.

JD338

noslerpartition":1xzlb72h said:
Before every reloading

Plus 1. Same. Further I try to keep brass in lots of 50 so I’m consistent within a batch. Same annealing session. Same tumbling session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbires":3uij11iw said:
how often are you guys doing this ?

Once in awhile. I don’t have the patience to do it every firing myself. But every so often it’s nice and especially to see defects.

I use the FA tumbler, a squirt of dish detergent and Lemi shine as well.

thanks guys . I don't have a wet tumbler set up . how are you guys drying your brass ?

I have the corn cob vibrating Lyman , that I seldom use . I do like nice looking brass , and have thought about getting a wet set up . I'm not sure I'd take the time to do a wet tumble .

I dry the outside with a towel, then either leave them on the heating for some time (winter) or put them in the oven at 90°C.
For me, it is a very simple way to get as new cases.
Actual time involved is rinsing the cases to get the detergent and citric acid off, getting out the pins with a magnet and then lots of waiting.
I reload for hunting and some practice.
So I end up with maybe 100 cases at a time.

Not a lot of effort

I lay it on a baking sheet and put it outside if it’s warm. If it isn’t warm enough outside I put them in the oven on low temp for 30 minutes.

I bought a cheap Salton dehydrator at WalMart and use that to dry my wet cases. Works beautifully.

DrMike":qtjv0unn said:
I bought a cheap Salton dehydrator at WalMart and use that to dry my wet cases. Works beautifully.

Oh man! That's a good idea as well!

I bought a cheap Chinese tumbler lees than 100 bucks.
Works with about 100 308.
The polishing balls were crap, bought some steel pins and I am happy so far

SJB358":zciqv0qv said:
DrMike":zciqv0qv said:

Oh man! That's a good idea as well!

About 1/3 the cost of the dryers sold on various ammo sites. Works like a charm and with the ability to have five trays, I'm able to keep multiple cases separated during the drying process.

Back