What 25 caliber (.257) cartridges do you own or want to own?

I currently have a Winchester 1894 (1902 vintage) in .25-35 WCF, a Remington Model 700 in .25-06 and a Springfield 1903 Custom in .257 Weatherby Mag.

Of those the .257 is my least favorite, the barrel is pretty much toast. When I do rebarrel it’s probably going to be for something bigger although I haven’t decided for sure just what yet.

The old raucous lever action .25-35 is so much fun to shoot! And it shoots decent enough for being 120 years old.

The .25-06 is easily my favorite. An excellent long range deer and antelope cartridge, I’ve also killed a pile of coyotes and a couple of elk with it too.

Would like to add a Savage 99 in .250-3000 if anything someday. My Dad has one and she’s a beaut. Haven’t ever fooled around with the .257 Roberts but I have heard nothing but good things!

Slimfinn, I like that Tikka. That's not a rifle you would run across every day of the week. Really nice. I'd be happy to stumble across something like that for sure.
I called her my baby for many years, nicest and best shooting rifle i had for a long time. I've come across one other heavy barrel tikka like it, was a 595 in 223 at a gun show a few years back but had to leave it there.
I will still compare any rifle i buy now to it accuracy wise. my wife(then girlfriend) even killed her first deer with it 25 or so years ago

The only 25 that I have right now in my XP100 25 Creedmoor and I love it. I have had a Ruger M77 257 Roberts and the 257 JDJ both handgun and carbine length. I have loaded for a Browning A-bolt 25-06 that my cousin had and it was a great shooter though it only had a 22' barrel.
I would love to have a Ruger #1 in 25-06 and a lite and handy bolt gun in 250 Savage. With the new heavy bullets I also wouldn't mind an XP100 fast twist barrel in either 25-284 or 25 WSM.

I gave my custom Ruger 77 257 Roberts AI (that wrote about in my first post) to a family that lost all of their guns in a house fire years ago.
My most compact is my Pachmayr Dominator in 25 Creed. It has a 14" barrel. I shot my first ever Axis with it. The 110 AB @ 2726 fps worked great.
mbPJTYzl.jpg

When my 7mm SAUM barrel was totally roasted (looked like a shotgun barrel the first two inches), I didn't cry but was emotional about trashing it. It was my son's favorite XP-100, as he took this buck a long ways away when he was in high school.
D1mKjAXl.jpg

My 7mm Dakota XP-100 did everything the SAUM could and more, so I decided to go with a 25 PRC, and Chuck rebarreled it, as he built it to begin with.
MVK6Rygl.jpg

I have only shot the 131 grain BlackJacks through it (3168 fps), and they do quite well.
Lym81QFl.jpg

Michael Deloach built me a switch barrel rear-grip specialty pistol with Kauger Arm's single-shot action, and their Black Widow Stock. I have two fast 25 caliber barrels, that both have Cortina's Tuner Brake on them. The two barrels are chambered in 25-284, and another 25 PRC. I have not even put a scope on this set-up yet.

I have a Remington Custom Shop XP-100 in 250 Savage, that has been shot a little bit, but with these other 25's, I will rehome it soon

I currently have a Winchester 1894 (1902 vintage) in .25-35 WCF, a Remington Model 700 in .25-06 and a Springfield 1903 Custom in .257 Weatherby Mag.

Of those the .257 is my least favorite, the barrel is pretty much toast. When I do rebarrel it’s probably going to be for something bigger although I haven’t decided for sure just what yet.

The old raucous lever action .25-35 is so much fun to shoot! And it shoots decent enough for being 120 years old.

The .25-06 is easily my favorite. An excellent long range deer and antelope cartridge, I’ve also killed a pile of coyotes and a couple of elk with it too.

Would like to add a Savage 99 in .250-3000 if anything someday. My Dad has one and she’s a beaut. Haven’t ever fooled around with the .257 Roberts but I have heard nothing but good things!
I have been thinking about a Winchester 1894 in 25-35, and have been watching for one of the newer Miroku production rifles. Should be a great rifle hunting deer in the brush, where a quick handling rifle would shine!

I gave my custom Ruger 77 257 Roberts AI (that wrote about in my first post) to a family that lost all of their guns in a house fire years ago.
My most compact is my Pachmayr Dominator in 25 Creed. It has a 14" barrel. I shot my first ever Axis with it. The 110 AB @ 2726 fps worked great.
mbPJTYzl.jpg

When my 7mm SAUM barrel was totally roasted (looked like a shotgun barrel the first two inches), I didn't cry but was emotional about trashing it. It was my son's favorite XP-100, as he took this buck a long ways away when he was in high school.
D1mKjAXl.jpg

My 7mm Dakota XP-100 did everything the SAUM could and more, so I decided to go with a 25 PRC, and Chuck rebarreled it, as he built it to begin with.
MVK6Rygl.jpg

I have only shot the 131 grain BlackJacks through it (3168 fps), and they do quite well.
Lym81QFl.jpg

Michael Deloach built me a switch barrel rear-grip specialty pistol with Kauger Arm's single-shot action, and their Black Widow Stock. I have two fast 25 caliber barrels, that both have Cortina's Tuner Brake on them. The two barrels are chambered in 25-284, and another 25 PRC. I have not even put a scope on this set-up yet.

I have a Remington Custom Shop XP-100 in 250 Savage, that has been shot a little bit, but with these other 25's, I will rehome it soon
Beautiful axis deer Ernie!
From what I have read, the 25 Creedmoor is the same as the 250AI. I have the 110 gr AB for mine...just have to develop the load for my rifle.
You certainly are achieving great things with your various hand rifles! Building great memories too!

Too bad we cannot use them for hunting here in Canada, or I would be interested in your XP in 250 Savage :(

My Grandpa carried a .25/35 on his saddle for years he thought it ok for elk if you were hungry. A true cowboy he rarely dismounted to shoot and would simply ride up to a deer he had shot and throw a loop around it, dragging it back to camp, his feet never touched the ground. One of my cousins kids sold it on gunbroker a while back.
What a flood of memories.

All really nice .25's guys! You know what I've got.... "Aggie" short for aggrivation. Currently she's really living up to her name.

And a "new" one also in 250-3000 Savage. I'll post more on this one later. Just finished most of the work today. CL

Attachments

• tcleaning 2015.JPG
    tcleaning 2015.JPG
    500.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Gary's 99 2.JPG
    Gary's 99 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • Gary's 99 3.JPG
    Gary's 99 3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Beautiful axis deer Ernie!
From what I have read, the 25 Creedmoor is the same as the 250AI. I have the 110 gr AB for mine...just have to develop the load for my rifle.
You certainly are achieving great things with your various hand rifles! Building great memories too!

Too bad we cannot use them for hunting here in Canada, or I would be interested in your XP in 250 Savage :(
Thanks!
It would be very frustrating to not be able to hunt with a handgun. I do hunt with revolvers, but shooting and hunting with the specialty pistols, is my true passion when it comes to guns. I don't have a good pic of my Custom shop 250 Savage XP-100, but here is a pic of my Custom Shop 6 BR.
zUdxNasl.jpg

All really nice .25's guys! You know what I've got.... "Aggie" short for aggrivation. Currently she's really living up to her name.

And a "new" one also in 250-3000 Savage. I'll post more on this one later. Just finished most of the work today. CL
Pretty Skookum, Troy. The old Savage looks quite interesting.

Some nice rifles fella's. Like those quarter bores. Across the board they provide a lot of bang for your buck so to speak. There's really not a bad one. For me and my opinion the Roberts in a long action sits at about the perfect spot for speed and low recoil, but smaller than that in the 250 Savage sure is a sweet cartridge, and of course larger as in the 25-06 has been a dandy that has a well deserved reputation. The Weatherby kicks it up a whole other notch if you desire.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard .25-06 Rem I bought for pronghorn. I love it. I swapped out the Nikon 3-9x40 on it for a Vortex Viper 6-24x50. I would really like to pick up a .257 Wby at some poin
YES YOU DO!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656077239975.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656077239975.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 9
Back