What am I missing?

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
I posted this on another forum, but it's been too long since I've been here and I need to get back on here more often, so I figured it's a good one to ask here, too.

Ok, long story, but I recently came into a few handguns, so here's my lineup now---

GI 1911A1 (WWII vintage, but non-collectible), 45ACP

Glock 23 Gen 3, 40S&W

Springfield Armory XDs, 9mm

Smith & Wesson Model 57-1, 41 Mag (6" barrel)

Ruger 22/45, 22LR

Ruger Security Six, 357 Mag (4" barrel)

Smith & Wesson Airweight (forget the model off the top of my head), 22LR

Smith & Wesson Model 637 (I think?) Airweight, 38Spcl+P

So, I have a bit of a mix there. I've never been much into wheelguns, although now having 4, they seem to be growing on me.

All of them have some form of attachment for me, sentimental or otherwise, except for the G23, which seems to be the lone handgun dangling out there as something that could get sold/traded and not be missed much.

Question is....

What "voids" in that line of 7 remaining guns would be fun to fill? What am I missing in my handgun selection?

I have some thoughts, but curious what others see as possibilities. I figured I'd trot the G23 out at a gunshow or two, maybe take it to one or two of the local shops, see what they'd do on a trade deal toward something else.

So....what do you think would be a good list of handguns to look for to augment my existing lineup?

I really am not looking for long guns at the moment. I know that sounds like blasphemy, but I've got so much stuff to do (hunting/gun related and just in general with life/kids/house/work) that I'm not sure I'd be able to do much justice to any more long guns, EXCEPT that I need a lefty hunting rifle for my oldest daughter. If the right opportunity came along to flip the G23 toward something she could use, I'd jump at that.

Curious what some ideas might be out there. .... :)

nothing really unless you have some kind of specialty pistol in mind.

I'd get a Sig P226 or P229 if I were you and then a 10mm like a Colt Delta Elite. Another to consider is a 1917 revolver by Colt or S&W.
Of course a Kahr PM9 or Ruger LCP would make a nice addition too or a Colt Mustang.
You should have another .41 Magnum too. Might I suggest a Model 58 to go with your Model 57? Of course you would be remiss to not include the classic cop gun, the S&W Model 10. :)

Let me know when I can assist you again as I love to spend other people's money given that I've already spent mine, my wife's, and the kids college fund. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I can't believe I got it in writing no less that FOTIS advocates no purchase of a firearm in this situation.

That may be a first?

:)

And my thoughts are actually on a Glock 21 and adding in mags/barrel to run 10-mil.

If you get a glock 21/41, I would suggest the 460 Rowland over the 10mm. That is my preferred bow hunting sidearm. Cartridge is compatible with your 45acp dies and components. New recoil spring, barrel, and muzzle brake are the only upgrades needed. Turns your glock into a 45 magnum. Longshot and AA9 are good powder choices in that cartridge.

If you get a glock 21/41, I would suggest the 460 Rowland over the 10mm. That is my preferred bow hunting sidearm. Cartridge is compatible with your 45acp dies and components. New recoil spring, barrel, and muzzle brake are the only upgrades needed. Turns your glock into a 45 magnum. Longshot and AA9 are good powder choices in that cartridge.

Exactly!
Perfect!

(Although I do like my 10s) :grin:

OK, ok, ok, that is just kinda weird enough to get my interest. Off to the gym, but then to google for some research later. :)

You have nothing with more power than a 41mag. I'd suggest one of the super magnums. My personal favorite is the 480Ruger.

Now here's an interesting thought....

The 460 Rowlands info lead me to Rowlands' site. There is a conversion for the Glock 19 to 960 Rowlands, which gives 357 Mag performance from a G19 (9mm). My understanding of the G19 to G23 relationship is that a 9mm barrel and proper mags make a 23 into a 19. Sooooooooooooooo............

I wonder if I could get some G19 mags and a 960 Rowlands conversion and just make the G23 into a 960 Rowlands? Now THAT might be interesting!

I also like the idea of a G21 to 460 Rowlands conversion.

I'm warming up to the idea of a big boomer revolver, but not yet. I'm not "there" yet on that idea.

Yet.

Or......you could just do it the easy way and stick a 357 Sig barrel in there. You can zoom some 9mm bullets with the Sig. 13 gr or so iirc of AA#9 and you're 1350 or so with a 115,
Underwood has some of them running 1400+
Figured I hadn't added enough variables for you yet :lol:

Yeah, but what fun is that? More fun to get the weird compensator and be able to say "960 Rowlands" when asked what it's chambered for. ;)

I dunno. Just kicking ideas around. Who knows what'll happen till the dust settles. Lol

If I wanted to do this in steps, I guess the thing to do would be to get a G20 and enjoy the 10mm for the time being. Then if I decide I need "cool factor," I can drop Rowlands parts in and get some G21 mags and we're off to the races.

Actually, I'm real impressed with FEWER handguns.

I have made all my using handguns either 1911's (or something that works and feels about the same) or S&W double action revolvers. I can transition back and forth between the various handguns without a problem.

If I added a Beretta, Sig, Kahr or Ruger to the mix, it would throw me.

I tell my handgunning students: "Pick the gun you want for self defense. That's the first one. The most important one. Then pick something else very much like it for practice." So a lot of them get a 9mm, .40 or .45, and also a .22 that works, looks and feels almost the same... For instance my .22 even fits in the same holster as my .45 carry gun... Or the revolver enthusiasts in my classes get a .357 mag, and feed it mostly .38's, or get a .22 that matches...

Three good guns, that work and feel about the same. A .22 target handgun, a .38/.357 for carry, and a .44 mag for bear country would be a good example.

Then buy or handload about a gazillion cartridges and set to work wearing out those guns. By the time you do, you'll be one heck of a handgunner!

Fewer guns. More range time. Get some instruction from a qualified handgun instructor. Much, much better than buying yet another handgun...

My two cents.

Guy

A S&W 629 Classic 44 Rem Mag would be a nice addition. You could also sell off a couple and get yourself a Kimber 1911 45 ACP. (y)

JD338

Back