What animal do you consider the most difficult to hunt

Well- the one that has eluded me and is still on my bucket list is a coyote called in with a mouth call. Not jumping one while pheasant hunting or bumping into one while driving along.... Set up a stand in his back yard and call him in. I dont want to an electronic or remote call either. As close as I would get to a wolf, anyway. CL

Lol,
Thanks Cheyenne, well I was exposed to alot of it by Alaskas "top ten most Wanted Guides", so I certainly
had lots of good ( or bad , however you want to look at it) instructors !!!
As for trapping April, I have not actively trapped now for 3 years, age has softened me up in many ways,
I caught a female fisher in a 220 Conibear trap, three winters ago, that somehow almost beat the trap and was only half in it,
She had been that way for a couple of days, before I got back to that trap................ the jaws crushed one side of her but she could still breathe but just barely, her will to live was something I cant discribe.....it was not a good situation, and right then at that moment, I knew for sure I was done trapping; it upset me so much that after 45 years of trapping; I just decided to hang em up.......
I loved trapping and the trapline lifestyle, but honestly I didnt need the fur; or the money, And at this point
in my life, taking something elses life, has become a much diferent deal , than back when I was 20 years
old.20171223_011845.jpg

Elkman":2bsc4qdd said:
For me a shotgun is similar to a club, I am effective with one at arms reach, much beyond that however, I am useless. Now back to the subject, I didn't think about Chukars, when I answered this post. When I lived in Boise the Chukar season started a couple of weeks prior to the beginning of elk season. Sooooo every year under the guise of "hunting" I would go forth to the Snake River Canyon to test my fitness level and to see if my shooting skills had magically improved since the previous season. At that time I was averaging 1/2 box of shells per Chukar. After many years of this facade I decided that I could test my fitness level much closer to town, and would not be required to carry a shotgun, so I gave up Chukar "hunting".

I'm shooting my shotgun a little better than that on chukar & pheasant anyway. :)

But ya, those rascals naturally inhabit the highest, toughest ridges... It's WORK to get wild chukar!

Guy

Have been thinking about this post, and for me, likely the toughest hunts have been backpacking hunts into the mountains, for mule deer.

Very high effort involved, and usually end up eating tag soup. But, it's an incredible hunt. Park at the trailhead. Heft the ol' backpack with camping and hunting gear onto my back, and either solo or with a buddy, head up, and up, and up... Into the wilderness area, seeking to find a big mule deer buck in his summer home... Our "high buck" season here in Washington is 15 - 25 September, and can be a brutal hunt, but can also be quite rewarding.

I remember grinning, as I was on a high ledge, glassing... because I was looking down, way down, at mountain goats!

Hiking out with both a buck, and the camping hunting gear is a real feat. Usually takes a couple of trips.

Horses are real popular for these hunts, for a reason. But, I backpack. Or at least I have. I think the last time I got serious about backpacking in for the high buck hunt, I was 55 years old. Time to do it again before I get too danged old! :grin:

Guy

I have been hunting Elk for almost 50 years & a herd bull Elk would top my list. Also a bull Moose
Moose has never crossed my path when I have had a rifle and tag in my hands :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Most difficult here, on a tag easy to get. Cougar-Mature Mule deer in the lodge pole- Mature Black tail. In that order. The deer are easy to understand the difficulty. Cougar is a Calling or spot and stalk hunt here. No dogs, so you have to actually learn how to hunt the cougar.

baltz526":7rbtm8nz said:
Most difficult here, on a tag easy to get. Cougar-Mature Mule deer in the lodge pole- Mature Black tail. In that order. The deer are easy to understand the difficulty. Cougar is a Calling or spot and stalk hunt here. No dogs, so you have to actually learn how to hunt the cougar.
I bet a cougar without dogs is a very tough hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baltz526":16j5twz8 said:

Cleveland48":kvrrqm3r said:
baltz526":kvrrqm3r said:

It can be a challenge. Not impossible, but it will require some effort. In the snow, not so challenging, just physically demanding at times.

Ya, I have not been serious enough in going after cougar. No dogs for cougar hunting here in Washington either. I've seen a few in the wild, over the years, but never have managed to even take a shot at one.

Perhaps this winter? If nothing else, it's a great excuse for a hike in the hills. Go say hello to our local mule deer herd, and try to find the critter that's hunting them...

Guy

An excellent idea. I have a spot off the summit near Tollgate I snow shoe for exercise. I've cut tracks there twice. So far the snow machines don't have enough to get in there, might work.

You guys will probably laugh, of the game I've hunted....the lowly turkey has humbled me the most. Wild pigs also, which will make half the country laugh as well! Those two critters have taught me more about hunting than anything else. Turkey's seem so stupid that they are somehow actually very smart? Pigs, it doesn't matter how hard you hunt, how often you hunt or how good of a hunter you are. If they aren't there, then they aren't there! May as well hunt for Zebra in Saskatchewan!

desertcj":1e1484lw said:
You guys will probably laugh, of the game I've hunted....the lowly turkey has humbled me the most. Wild pigs also, which will make half the country laugh as well! Those two critters have taught me more about hunting than anything else. Turkey's seem so stupid that they are somehow actually very smart? Pigs, it doesn't matter how hard you hunt, how often you hunt or how good of a hunter you are. If they aren't there, then they aren't there! May as well hunt for Zebra in Saskatchewan!
I hear you on the turkeys! Nothing makes me pull my hair out more than turkeys lol.

Back