What are your best coyote tricks?

I would leave the chicken and bacon at home. Unless you know it to be legal to bait in your area. When a coyote smells you, it's over. They will be out of the area, fast. Like Coyotetrapper was expaining...your set up will provide you with success. Coyotes will (much of the time) circle down wind. You just need to kill them before they get there. Because once they get down wind of you, it will be over.

Your best education will come by being out in the field. You will be able to read the coyotes body language after some experience. You will know when they have decided to commit, and when they are not interested. You will also know the moment that they get nervous on a call that they had commited to.

I have talked to others about the trapped bunny or kittens or puppies in a cage....They all had one thing in common....They could never call in a coyote with a mouth call and were desperate. It's poor practice, and I think it was an attempt at humor in this thread. No hard feelings here.

Any methods or tricks for yote hunting in heavy cover?
The coast range of Oregon is thick to say the least but there are some cuts and what I call open timber but the underbrush is still pretty tall.

One popular way to hunt coyotes here in MI is over a road kill deer carcass.
I've never done it but some are pretty successful at it.

JD338

Bullet, can you please post a pic of your PVC howler when you have time so I can get a better idea of what you're saying. Thanks!

For the thick stuff, I'd get an e-call that you can put 50 (or so) yards away from where I would be setting up. Or if you only have a mouth call, don't call so often. Do a very short series and wait a longer period of time. Don't give the coyote a chance to pin point you, keep them guessing. And stay very still. Hopefully they will step into the cut to search for the dying rabbit and you will have your chance.

Colin":369qd7w1 said:
For the thick stuff, I'd get an e-call that you can put 50 (or so) yards away from where I would be setting up. Or if you only have a mouth call, don't call so often. Do a very short series and wait a longer period of time. Don't give the coyote a chance to pin point you, keep them guessing. And stay very still. Hopefully they will step into the cut to search for the dying rabbit and you will have your chance.

Yup, sometimes they come in on the sneak.

JD338

Oh my goodness! While the aforemention gentleman did actually SAY that he did that. I was very clear about not suggesting that I had or that anyone should. The offending post is removed. CL

Thanks for the advice Colin, I've tried calling a few times and never had any luck. Most often, I just shot yotes if I see them near the farm and have time to go home and get a rifle or if it's during hunting season and I've got one with me afield. This is a particularly important bit of information since we are not legally allowed to use electronic calls in Alberta.

JT.

Colin":1vfaqfz7 said:

I will give that a try. I have a fox pro That I have tried a couple of times.
I have always seen fresh scat and urine after I moved on and assumed they spotted me before I seen them.

YoteSmoker":39vuodfc said:
Bullet, can you please post a pic of your PVC howler when you have time so I can get a better idea of what you're saying. Thanks!

I don't have one right now, last fall gave the last one I had to my friend Mickey in Clifton Arizona for him to try. If I have time in the next month or so I will ask Bob Fare if he will make me another one. Will be on road starting Friday and gone till the end of the month, but will try and get one.

Cloverleaf, No worries buddy, I think you've posted enough on here that we all know you are an ethical guy....

jtoews80, keep in mind, I am no expert in calling the thick stuff. I am in central California and 90% of my calling is in very open country. You will learn a lot, just being out there with your call. So without the option of an e-caller, I'd get yourself a good hand call (there are tons available) and keep your calling to a minimum. Don't give up too quickly. Out here (in the open) I give up after about 30 minutes. I'd give it at least 45 minutes calling every 10 minutes or so for only about 1 minute. Again, keep them guessing. The idea is...if you call continuously, they will probably come right in and sit in the thick stuff to check out the area. You likely will not even see them. If you call sporatically, the coyote will only have a general idea where the sound is coming from and will, most likely, step into an opening to see a little better. I've actually cut a coyote shape out of cardboard and painted it, his name is Jim-Bob. This decoy has worked well about 50% of the time. Time in the field will tell...I've called areas thick with sign and nothing has showed. I've also called areas with very little sign and called in 5 on one stand. Don't get frustrated. Keep after it, and you'll be able to pattern them to a certain point.

We went out and spoke with the land owners last night. The coyotes have killed three of their dogs :evil: , and carried off another that escaped. The buried the remains of one, 4 feet down, the coyotes returned, and dug it up for another meal :!: . The yotes have eaten at least a another half dozen other dogs in the area, some of them snatched within feet of the houses in broad daylight :shock: . Hopefully this brazen attitude, and the good pointer's I've received here can translate into some cool coyote pics.

Antelope_Sniper,

Sound like the landowners have a real problem with the yotes. Had a local farmer call me last week up almost begging me to come over and try to kill the yotes that got five of his goats. No luck so far :evil: Good luck to you!

Antelope_Sniper

Coyotes have been known to go into a dog's backyard and taunt them into a chase. One yote goes in and gets the dog to pursue. The coyote leads the dog right into a waiting pack.

If you can, set up in your friends backyard and use an e caller with pup distress sounds. Since they know where the food source is, you can feed them some lead.

JD338

JD338":du0rqcxb said:
Antelope_Sniper

Coyotes have been known to go into a dog's backyard and taunt them into a chase. One yote goes in and gets the dog to pursue. The coyote leads the dog right into a waiting pack.

If you can, set up in your friends backyard and use an e caller with pup distress sounds. Since they know where the food source is, you can feed them some lead.

JD338

That is what is happening in my back yard.
I would love to set a couple of traps or shoot them but I live in the city limits, across from the high school and on the edge of town.
Maybe in the evening with a bow would do the trick.

old #7,

Coil trap and a bow should do the trick. Then just S.S.S. :wink:

JD338

I would pull out my spring traps and run a shot line, but leg hold traps are illegal here in Colorado. It is however, legal to bait coyotes and bear, but not anything else.

I don't want to catch my dog. Or the neighbors dog.
A wrist rocket with a 45cal lead ball sounds like a fun evening

old #7":1178rso2 said:
JD338":1178rso2 said:
Antelope_Sniper

JD338

That is what is happening in my back yard.
I would love to set a couple of traps or shoot them but I live in the city limits, across from the high school and on the edge of town.
Maybe in the evening with a bow would do the trick.
OR a crossbow for more range!

Back