What brand to buy?

Bigwheels

Beginner
Sep 17, 2006
I'm thinking about getting another rifle.(I know so what else is new.)But since Winchester no longer makes my favorite M-70.What to buy?I want something with a 3 position safty like my Winchester,& a bolt action.These are my criteria.I'll worry about the caliber later.Thanks for any input.

Remington has a mauser action and it is bound to be a hit. May be worth looking into....... :grin: BTW it is a model 798 ansd 799

I think the Ruger M-77 has the same safety as the winchester, I have never shot a M-70 so I can't tell you the pros and cons of the two guns, but I have spent a fair amount of time behind a ruger. I don't think you will be disapointed

Are you sure Winchester doesn't make your favorite M70? They closed the New Haven, CT plant but they still make a GREAT rifle. They offer the new CRPF (controlled round push feed) and the infamous CRF (that's the claw extractor with positive feed, etc. The pre-64 type). The Ruger M77 Mark II isn't the same as the Win. The Ruger's safety is mounted on the receiver; the Winchester's safety is mounted on the bolt. Another advantage of owning a Winchester is the ease of changing the firing pin incase something ever happened (.999999% of the time nothing will ever happen). I own three Winchester's in three different bolt types. I have the CRF in a .338 Win Mag (great gun), a 30-06 in the push feed design (my favorite gun) and a .223 WSSM in the CRPF (killed a many of coyotes with this guy). GO WINCHESTER!!!! I put Timney triggers in all 3 set at 2.5 pounds and LOVE IT!!! Good luck, I'm still a proponent of Winchester even through their transition period. I know Olin owns them, but the design remains the same.

I would go find a winchester before they are all gone, it will be about a year before the out of USA guns even get here,so I would get one now because once they show up the price will go up even more on whats left just go check the price on a model 94 goig way up there good luck, and the wssm are a good one to look at I have 2 and love them both 223,243 once you get a good load setup (not longer than any gun) they rule

Killdeernow.Are you saying that you can still get new pre-64 claw extracter crf win mod 70's. :shock: Where?Please explain... :grin:

Bigwheels, One of my rifles is a Kimber and it has a 3 position safety, controlled round feed, and other attributes that give it a model 70 touch, plus it shoots very accurately and as of this year comes in a load of different calibers.

Bigwheels,

The following was extracted directly from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester ... ms_Company:

The End of an Era
On January 16, 2006 U.S. Repeating Arms announced it was closing the New Haven, Connecticut plant where Winchester rifles and shotguns were produced for 140 years.[1] Along with the closing of the plant, the Model 94 rifle (the descendant of the original Winchester rifle), Model 70 rifle and Model 1300 shotgun would be discontinued.

A New Era
On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. Browning, based in Morgan, Utah, and the former licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Company, are both subsidiaries of FN Herstal.

If you go to http://www.winchesterguns.com/request/catalog.asp and fill out the appropriate fields, they will send you a catalog for free.

As far as I know, they will be made in the USA until the end of 2008. It has something to do with a Union agreement made through the transition from CT to UT (paraphrasing an article I read on http://www.americanfirearmscompany.com/).

There are many CRF (pre '64 type) model 70s to choose from. Good luck.

Back