What chambering would you use?

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
If you were to build a rifle for nothing more than long range shooting at targets only what chambering would you build off of?

Probably a 6.5x47, 6.5 creedmoor, or 6mm XC. No reason to beat yourself up to punch paper. Either of these will work well out to 1000 yards

The 260 Rem, 6.5x55 or 6.5 Creedmoor are what I would look at. I use a Savage 260 Rem for just that and also use it for predators and deer.

May sound like a broken record, but one of the efficient 6.5s such a 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington or 6.5X55 would be just ideal for that purpose.

...I got a 6.5 Creedmoor, but I also figgered on using it for speedgoats, mule deer, & varmints...

Ill be the odd one here. Take a hard look at the 6mm. They are top dog in the LR shooting circuit right now. Push a 105 hybrid at good speed and you have a serious winner with minimal recoil.

My next build is going to be a 6 Creed or a 6x47 Lapua. The 243 pushing a 105 hybrid or a 115 d tac is another good choice, but hot on barrels.

Yes it is a broken record :mrgreen: but the 6.5 family is just what the doctor ordered!!!

Blessings,
Dan

I am a 6.5mm fan but the more I shoot my 6's the more I like them. I would probably go 243 AI or even a 6mm AI twisted tight for 105's and 115's.

I may have just gotten lucky but both my 243's are the easiest rifles I have to find a load for.

But then there is the 6.5 SAUM that seems to really be just above super awesome.

Same here, 6.5 CM, 243, 260, 6x47, 6.5x47. Anything in that 6-6.5 class seems like a lot of fun and easy on powder.

I'm thinking my good ol' "Green Machine" Rem 700 may use up the present Krieger .308 Win barrel about the time I exhaust my supplies of .30 cal match bullet through it...

So... Despite having a near 20 year record of success with it, the time may have come to re-barrel to something other than a .308 Win! Good grief! Am sure it's going to end up doing dual duty as a varmint & target rifle, so will likely go with one of the warmer 6mm's or a mid-level 6.5mm...

Green of course. :mrgreen:

Guy

Bill,

Tough to beat the 6.5mm for long range shooting.
What distances are you looking at?

JD338

Be interesting to see what you go with.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That is what I do, I have a 6x47 and a .243 AI. I will therefore suggest a 6mm. If your just shooting then one at a time off a bench a 6 br is fine. If your shooting a match where a magazine is employed don't go with the 6br.

Gotta be different here...6 Dasher or BRX :) . I see more LR matches being won with these calibers than any others. Brass is easy to fire-form and the added 100-150 fps over the 6BR will help in windy conditions. Our state 1000 yard F-class match was won with a 6 Dasher, beating all the 7 and 30 caliber rifles on the line. That doesn't usually happen in windy conditions like we had this year. A BRX was second followed by a .284 Shehane. There were a few 6.5's calibers used, but they weren't competitive on a windy day (some of it was due to who was driving I'm sure). Top 8 spots in the 600 yard state match this year were Dashers or BRX.

One of the little 6BR wildcats is hard to beat for accuracy and light recoil in the LR game.

Back