What do you aim for?

On deer I used to aim for the heart/lungs and it works ok. If it's an easy shot I scope the head to idenify the right one and let it go where the neck meets the shoulder. That drops them right there.

I am going to shoot the next one in the shoulder if I have a tough enough bullet loaded unless, again, it's an easy shot.

I usually try for the front of the lungs so that I hit both lungs and apply a lot of shock to the heart. As of yet I have only one run, and it only went 15 to 20 feet and piled up.
:) :grin: :lol: 8)

We were hunting cows, but ran into 6 bulls. The biggest was a monster, but we couldn't shoot. I always shoulder my rifle for practice in these situations and found a nice bullseye right above the shoulder on his neck. He was about 80 yards and looked awesome through my 4x scope.
I've taken many deer with neck shots. Less mess when cleaning out. Have since gone back to the vitals as it gets them bled out better.

I learned Jeff Cooper's "school solution" from him at Gunsite. He liked to divide the forelegs with the vertical crosswire, and put the horizontal wire one - third of the way up the body. This gives you an automatic way to handle different angles. JC also would put the horizontal crosswire halfway up the body if the animal looked "far".

For dangerous game shoot to break the off-side shoulder.

For leopard shoot into the center of what you can see (they are very fast).

jim

Depends on what I have for a shot. I have taken neck shots and double lung shots. I typically aim for just behind the front shoulder but have had that spot covered so I had to shoot a little higher and above the shoulder. My first deer was a neck shot. The shoulder was behind a tree and I had a steady rest and was on the neck. Maybe a little excited too. Dropped him in his tracks. :grin:

On bears I agree about taking out the shoulders I don't want to track a wounded animal with big teeth and claws. Everything else I aim for double lung and/or heart shot. I will take a quartering away shot as well aiming for the off side shoulder area but not if they are at such an angle I have to aim behind the rib cage. I'll take other shots as well but these are the ones I prefer.

I too prefer the (slightly) quartering away shot. I aim for the off side shoulder.

As I have stated earlier, high lung shot and shoulder shots on bear.
I always try to aim for my exit hole.

JD338

elgklokke_111715f.jpg

In my opinion a high lung seems to take them off there feet faster than a heart shot. So when available thats my first choice second choice is the heart.
Joe

Double lung, two years ago on a scandinavian moose bull with 170 gr Solid Base in 300 wm it ran 15 m and it was down, with roe deer I got best success with double lung, with a heart shot they like to run :arrow: :roll:

shrpshtrjoe":20ylpcx8 said:
In my opinion a high lung seems to take them off there feet faster than a heart shot. So when available thats my first choice second choice is the heart.
Joe

++1

Thats my favorite shot. They never get up. :wink:

JD338

Head or neck, preferably just below the ear. If not, a high shoulder shot plumb with their front leg about 2/3 up from the brisket (1/3 below their back). Puts them down in their tracks.

POP":1d679fs0 said:
On big game that is. What is your favorite shot.
Mine is a double lunger.

YOU?

Center of the vitals "the only ethical shot" because it gives the most room for error. Heart, aorta, lungs, they are all in there even liver if the hits what back from the mark.

Down in the south we have a lot of thick brush and woods, So we practice on neck and head shots for does and heart lung shots on bucks.

Use the right bullet-speed combination @ 3300+ ft./sec. it realy does not matter where you hit the shock is thr killer!!!!! :eek:

break the shoulder hit everything between and out the outher side, the animal falls over. if you hit a little back you still have a heart/lung shot, a little forward a neck shot. - bear,elk, deer

if a useing a small accuarate gun like a hornet or 22-250 all head shots-deer

Back