What do you aim for?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
On big game that is. What is your favorite shot.
Mine is a double lunger.

YOU?

I like heart /lung shots. If the angle is right and I can get a double lunger, it's my favorite also. head shots on small game,varments, and such.

I try for the heart. If I'm off a bit it usually takes at least one lung and/or breaks a leg. Sometimes a fellow ends up with a combination shot that takes the heart, lungs and breaks a leg. That tends to work real well...

Have to admit to making a high shot once and breaking the mulie's spine with a .45-70 Marlin. The bullet didn't even hit the spine, passed through, about 3" below the spine, but still broke it. Had to finish that one with a second shot, but at least the deer didn't go anywhere. Made the high shot because of intervening brush that I had to shoot over.

Also - ahem - have brained a couple of mulie bucks. Probably not advisable, but it worked out real well in both cases. The antlers are on the wall, and the meat tasted mighty fine. Hard to ruin any meat - but... It is a real easy shot to mess up and inflict a nasty wound - like breaking the deer's jaw... I don't advise it as a general purpose shot - but it drops 'em like lightning.

Still, the heart shot is what I strive for and recommend. Regards, Guy

I like the high lung shot, will almost always drop a deer on the spot.
For bears, I like to take out a shoulder.

JD338

Well, I do a lot of stick chucking for elk. Heart and lungs all the time, I avoid the shoulders like the plauge.
Situation depending upon the rest and under 150yrds the neck ! Have yet to have anything take a single step afterwards.

I like the shoulder shot on all big game animals. Drops them right now and no tracking is neccesary. You usually end up getting a little bloodshot meat every now and then, but like someone once said, "a little meat is better then no meat."

On meat deer, I try for double lung. If I can't get it I usually pass. On a trophy I'll try for a shoulder, as it gives me the largest target and I'm not as worried about loosing meat. Hogs are a different story. As opposed to right behind the shoulder, as with deer, I shoot them right in front of the shoulder or a raking shot to get between the shoulders.. Most of a hogs heart/lungs are between the shoulders, unlike a deer, where the lungs extend considerably behind the shoulder. I used to make head shots, but having seen animals with terrible long suffering head wounds, no longer take these. capt david :) :) :) :)

I hunt in very steep bushy or dense timber. I like to instantly put down an animal. I like to break both shoulders and take out whats between them. usually drops animals on the spot.

For Bears and other animals that can bite, the shoulder is my favorite. For anything that is edible Lungs or heart.

If possible I try for the top of the hart, it severs the arteries and obviously both lungs.
It gives me margin for error when a holdover is needed.

I normally use a low velocity caliber so meat damage is minimised if I hit bone.

There is an exception to my rule! ELK!!!!!!!!!

With modern hunting pressure being what it is I always go shoulder in order to imobilize. One of my troops ahot a 5x5 here in Wyoming through the lungs with a 30-06 and 180 Corelocts factory. The bull ran over a small hill and layed down and another hunter shot it in the neck and tagged it before we got there. What a POS!!!!! :evil:

This is all to one's opinion. I have used various shots in the past but for the last 4 years I have been exclusively lungs on deer. The deer seem to bleed out better and you recieve less blood shot. Though, you do have to occasionaly break through a shoulder when the angle is required.

At long range in small clearings where tracking would be difficult I prefer the base of the brain right at the spine. They die instant but bleeding the meat becomes difficult and the deer will have more of a game taste.

If it is a big bull elk I aim first shot for a shoulder, ssecond shot heart or lungs, if you hit them in the shoulder first they can't go far (as you know a lung shot they can go a long way) I use a sako 30-378 or a browning 300 win mag both good stopping power , but if you ever lost a good bull you would understand my thinking (got from some friends that guide elk hunts) if hunting just for meat head and neck if possible, mule deer LUNGS all day just my opinon thanks and good luck

Back