what do you recommend for a 300 WBY MAG

Venado

Beginner
Jun 4, 2005
just got a 300 wby mag and i would like to know the perfect ingredient for that Cal. its a mark 5 ultra light weight 26" fluted barrel
i have a 7mm rem sendero and it gives me a group of less than an inch at 200 meters(im from mexico) with 67 gr. RL19 140GR sierra BT i will like to have my 300 with that same group.

thanks

Well, it appears that you will get varying opinions on this.

As opposed to Jon, was not happy with the 200 grain Accubonds in my 300 Wby Mag at all. I tried and tried but could not get them to shoot. I tried different powders, different seating depths, etc. No go, lousy groups.

The same rifle shoots the 180 grain Nosler Partition in 3/4 inch groups day after day. It also shoots as well or better with the 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter. I load Wby brand brass, Fed 215M primers, and a max load of RL 22 behind either bullet and the gun and I are both happy.

Have fun with the new gun, R F

This response is for your 7mm Sendero. I too have a Sendero in 7mm Remington magnum and I've found that the Sendero is even more accurate with the heavier bullets. Try some of the 160s, my pet load shoots under an inch at 300 yards and I've even had some Federal factory 175s shoot into 3.5 inches at 500 yards.

Brad

Venado":3d58chqz said:
just got a 300 wby mag and i would like to know the perfect ingredient for that Cal. its a mark 5 ultra light weight 26" fluted barrel
i have a 7mm rem sendero and it gives me a group of less than an inch at 200 meters(im from mexico) with 67 gr. RL19 140GR sierra BT i will like to have my 300 with that same group.

thanks

Please post your results with the ultra light. I am very curious about its accuracy. I have never ever seen or heard a WBY Ultralight (like the SBGM) in 300 WBY only shoot accuraqtely.

i use 180 grain ballistic tips and they shoot great,but currently im trying to work up a load with the 200 grain accubonds,im using H1000 and federal 215 primers so far ive loaded 82-85 grains going in half grain increments and all of them have shot good but no one hole groups yet,inch and a quarter is my biggest group so far.

finally i tried my rifle with weatherby ammo. 150 gr. SP and worked perfect 1 1/2 inch group at 200 meters not to bad the only problem is my arm boy it kicks, today im ordering the accubrake.
im going to work on some loads to try an close that group and i just wanted to let you know this rifle is just for hunting season i think its a very good group for 1 shoot a year .jaja

any way when i get that group i´ll let you guys know

thanks.

200 gr acubond
72gr IMR 4831
Fed no 215 primer
This load has killed 4 elk/4 deer for me never needed a second shot
Range was anywhere from 100 to 600 yards.

Imr-7828 has worked well in both .300 wthbys I have tried it in. One shoots 85 gr under a 180 Partition and mine can only handle 82 gr - so start low and work up to the max in your rifle. I haven't tried the new short cut version, but it should work very well.

my .300 wby liked the 180 accubonds with 83.5 grains of IMR7828 behind them. That is max for my gun. This was shooting 1/2 inch groups last weekend. Same load shoots just over 1 inch groups with 180 Partitions. Haven't shot any 200's yet but will when I have time.

I have had good luck with the 150 AB's using 86 grns of H4831. It shoot right at 3380 fps. I have tried the 165 Partition, and ballistic tip, as well as the full line of 168 grn bullets.

I have two 300 WBY's, both for over 15 years and have been very happy with them and 180 and 200 grain partitions. I have gravitated to the 200 gr for most of my loads as i get great groups and decent velocity. After reading about the AccuBond I picked up some 200 gr. My parition load is fed 215, rem brass, 82gr 7828. It will shoot 1.25 inches all day at 200 yds and clocks at 3070 fps with and extreme spread of 16 fps. I dropped down to 80 gr and worked up in .5gr to 82 gr which is near max in my rifle, the AccuBond won't group at all. I've played with seating depth, as my usual load is magzine length, so I can only seat them deeper which is problematic as it intrudes into the powder space too much.

Anyone ran into this? Any suggestions? I'll use the Partition load here in MT this year but like the concept behind the accubonds and would like to get them to shoot.

Thanks and good hunting!

John

Back