what gives

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
took out my remington 700 mountain rifle in 280. was shooting 12" high and 8" to the left, got that issue straightend out let barrel cool and shot again. 8" low and 3 " right. scope is a burris fullfilled 2. just wondering if the barrel is shot out.

Not likely, more like a scope issue, and /or the mounts. Mount a different one on it and see what happens, but check that the mounts are solid. See if the action screws are tight as well?

longrangehunter":2pjabcjb said:
Not likely, more like a scope issue, and /or the mounts. Mount a different one on it and see what happens, but check that the mounts are solid. See if the action screws are tight as well?
I agree. Funny how action screws can work themselves loose sometimes too!

I agree with the above- most likely culprit is scope and mounts.

I've seen very few barrels actually shot out and typically it's a slow degradation of accuracy...not a sudden shift in point of impact. That's got scope erector issues written all over it.

That's what my Leupold VX2 was doing before I sent it in. New erectors and it's like new now.

I have a Meopta scope back at the factory for doing the exact same thing as you describe.

I've seen so few rifles that were "shot out," that I could count them on one hand. However, that has never stopped people from rechambering and putting on new barrels. It is 99% certain that the problem lies in your scope/mounts.

Back