What is considered long range?

Sandman3022

Beginner
Aug 25, 2006
The Nosler Manual says the .30 caliber 165 gr. Partion is good for ranges out to 225yds. It also mentions the Ballistic Tip should only be used for long range distances. Between what ranges will the Ballastic Tip be effective?

Without trying to start a major debate in ethics, long range to me is anything that I am confident in my abilities and the firearm and ammo I am using at the time. It also depends on the intended target being a game animal or varmint. I am much more likly to extend my normal comfort zone on a coyote or feral hog than on a white tail or mule deer.

As for the effective range of the 165gr BT out of a 30-06, I personally have shot them effectively out to past 400yds on feral hogs. I have also found that running them at a velocity of between 2800 and 3000 fps, generally produces the best accuracy in my rifles. This said, the load I generally use is running around 2850, which might be a little warm in your rifle. I have also found that a seating depth of 3.250" works well in several rifles that it has been used in.

The thing you will find with the BT's is that on a high velocity shot, in under 100yds, you willhave some pretty nasty expansion. Out past this it is generally well controlled on game such as WT deer and Muley's. The feral hogs will stil show some pretty decent holes no matter what but it is due to the thick hide and tougher bone.

The overall effective range for the 30-06 and this bullet I would put out to about 450 yds maybe a little further depending on conditions and the target, but this is me with my loads. Your milage may vary.

Sandman3022":86eqcng0 said:
The Nosler Manual says the .30 caliber 165 gr. Partion is good for ranges out to 225yds. It also mentions the Ballistic Tip should only be used for long range distances. Between what ranges will the Ballastic Tip be effective?

The Nosler bullets are designed to expand with in a velocity window.
Partition
Min Impact Velocity- 1800 fps
Max Impact Velocity- N/A

Ballistic Tip
Mini Impact Velocity - 1600 fps
Max Impact Velocity - 3000 fps

AccuBond
Mini Impact Velocity - 1600 fps
Max Impact Velocity - N/A

A 165 gr PT with a BC if .410 from a 30-06 with a MV of of 2800 fps would be effective out to to 500 yds. A 165 gr BT with a BC of .475 at the same MV would be effective out to 700 yds.
The real question is what is YOUR effective range? How far can you keet all your shots inside a 6 inch target? Most can shoot out to 400 yds. Any further, you now have to start compensating for wind drift.
A great bullet to look at is the 165 gr AccuBond. It is built like a BT but holds together like a PT. The AB will give you the edge for long range shooting but will get the job done on close range shots.

JD338

Back