What is the best case lube?

Buffalohead

Beginner
Mar 4, 2006
I am curious as to which company has the best case sizing lube and why you like it more than another. I have used several and the latest aerosol type has me thinking that every other case is about to stick. Thank in advance.

Imperial sizeing wax!

Nothing is as slick when resizeing. The stuff comes in a can, like shoe polish, and is applied with the fingers. You only need to touch the wax and you`ve enough to lube a couple cases. Wipes off with a rag or paper towel.

I agree with Ol'Joe.......The best lube on the market. It has the added benefit of being able to handle the case while applying the lube and you can feel any imperfections/dents/splits etc. I also use a Q-tip to apply a little to the inside of the neck to get consistent lube on the expander pin so as to not stretch out the neck when removing the case from the re-sizing die. I've tried all the lubes out there and this is the only one I use now.

Blaine

I have used RCBS case lube and pad for ever, the lube will last and last.
I think I am going to try some Imperial Sizeing Wax.
Ol' Joe, thanks for the tip.

JD338

I use the RCBS spray on stuff. For every 2 that I resize lubed I can do one with no lube. No sticking and no problems.

Long

Imperial Sizing Wax is THE best product on the market, PERIOD!!!!

I do not know how they stay in business. A can of that stuff lasts forever!!

If you use Imperial correctly you will never stick a case, ever.

It is easy to wipe off as well.

Actually, I use Hornady One Shot spray on small, easy to size cases like .223 Remington or 22-250, etc. But rely heavily on Imperial Sizing Wax, especially when sizing large cases like 338 RUM, etc.

Thanks for the replies! I will try to find some Imperial, since I have been using Hornady's OneShot and with my M1A and Garand Loads it just doesn't quite cut it. I wish all dies were available in carbide or TN for sizing then resizing would be a breeze! Thanks again for the advice.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

Nothing better. It cleans your cases too. Any reload supply should have it. If not, www.sinclairintl.com

If you buy more than one, then you'll have more than one for a VERY VERY long time. When needing to lube multiple cases such as pistol brass for a progressive, smear it all over your palms and "knead" the cases generously. Just roll em around in your hands.

Believe me, it doesn't take much.

Must Do: Get a neck brush and run it into a case neck every tenth case to keep the expander ball running smooth. You can use your Hornady One Shot for the brush.

R Flowers,

The Imperial product was not created specifically for the reloading industry. It was originally intended for Machine Shop use in Millwright applications. Our hat's off to the Blue Collar man.

I really like the One Shot, but I think, after the endorsements above, I'll try the Imperial. I actually used STP for awhile a number of years ago, but had to be careful as it was easy to get too much on the case.

The RCBS spray lube is top notch. I spray from a distance to just barely get a trace on the upper part of the cases and it works great. Much more convenient than rubbing it on with your fingers. One little can should last about 10,000 cases. That said I switched all my loading over to Lee Collet dies and they don't need any lube on the cases. This is the quickest cleanest method by far. I am a millwright and have never used sizing wax for anything.

Imperial appears to be anhydrous lanolin. The latter may be purchased from any soap or candle making outfit, cost is about $8 for 1 lb. of it. 1 lb. is a LOT.

Many of the aerosol case lubes are liquid lanolin in some sort of carrier liquid. Dillon's case lube uses isopropyl alcohol. You can make your own too - recipe is at http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Sizing . $11 Worth of materials gets you 20-24 ounces of case lube.

Liquid lubes are the ONLY way to go if you have to process a few thousand cases per session. Use a plastic bag or small cardboard box as the container for the cases. Spray, shake, and spray again until all cases have lube on them. It doesn't take much lube to attain this state either.

I have used one tub of Hornady (Unique Lube I think) for many (18+) years. Softer than Imperial wax, easier to apply and rub off. Pleasant smelling and I've never stuck a case, .223, 30-30, 30-06, 300 win, 348. I dip my fingers in the tub, pick up a case near the shoulder, roll case in my fingers and run thru the die. I only need to dip every 2-3 cases. Rub off with a paper towel.

I used to load 300 to 500 rounds or so per year. Lately its less than 200.

I have the Imperial wax but my loading area is cool and its too stiff for me, the Hornady is softer and easier for me to use.

Its supposed to be good for leather too. The one thing, if your hands are dirty, it will come off in the lube. I scraped out my tub the other day to get rid of some stray junk.

Imperial Sizing Wax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my reloading is neck sized. I prefer to use Redding case lube on the inside of the neck, applied with a Q-tip, then wiped out after resizing. If I'm full length resizing like with military rounds I still use the Redding lube, but wipe it off before putting the cases in the tumbler. No sense in contamination the media. This works well for me. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Ol` Joe":lhl88pyy said:
Imperial sizeing wax!

Nothing is as slick when resizeing. The stuff comes in a can, like shoe polish, and is applied with the fingers. You only need to touch the wax and you`ve enough to lube a couple cases. Wipes off with a rag or paper towel.

I agree completely. The stuff is GREAT! :grin:

Back