RCBS case lube - 2

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
I have container that the lube was clear in color but now after several years is a light brown tint color. I use Hornady unique which is far easier for me to spread out on my fingers to get the right amount to size, imperial is out for me, can't get the right amount for some reason. I spread out a very sparingly amount of unique on my finger and spread it out on middle finger and thumb before applying it to the case body. Sizes great. Imperial I have a hard time with. Lanolin and alcohol sprayed on a pad works well until the alcohol evaporates. I tried to lessen the amount of Lanolin but then the mixture doesn't lube well enough. Just the standard mixture I find on the internet 16 ounces of 99 % alcohol and 1.5 ounces of lanolin.

I have used Imperial sizing wax for years, never had any issues.

JD338
The way I apply it, you think I need to spread it out better on my fingers before I apply it on the case, I use it on my dies and presses to prevent rust, it hangs in really well.

I'm satisfied with RCBS case lube 2 . I started out using the lube on a pad , and I'm back to that . I haven't noticed mine turning dark . the Lyman lube is dark . it looks like #90 gear lube . to clean it off , I spray a squirt of carb cleaner on a rag and wipe them off .

a good lube is important for consistent shoulder bump .

I like Hornady One Shot lube and if crowding too many cases on the loading block, it may not be evenly coated and I just dab a little Imperial wax between my fingers and give the case a whirl between my fingers and size away. A little goes a long way, just avoid too much lube on your shoulders.

I like Hornady One Shot lube and if crowding too many cases on the loading block, it may not be evenly coated and I just dab a little Imperial wax between my fingers and give the case a whirl between my fingers and size away. A little goes a long way, just avoid too much lube on your shoulders.
I made a finishing nails on a cardboard fixture to eventually space cases for One Shot

I got away from the spray lubes . they seemed to work ok on small , shorter cases , but not on the big stuff .

I use Hornady Unique, because I bought a tub on impulse and it works well, and it's lasting forever. The smell reminds me of growing up when dad and I rubbed mink oil on our boots before hunting season.

Sparingly ?
yes, very. put a small line down the length of the lube pad and work it in very well. I use a rag, just a dribble then make sure it is spread evenly over the cloth. then just pick up a hand full of brass, roll them on the cloth a couple times, and your done.

Everyone has their preference and they all work. I remembered using the RCBS lube pad and lube and I was a newbie at that time 30 years ago, and i was denting shoulders due to too much lube,, lol. I stopped using the pad and switched to One Shot. First I use a decapping die and decap all primers, then anneal. After using the One Shot lube, I resize the brass ( without the button or decapping pin ), clean the body, primer pocket cleaning and neck cleaning with a nylon brush on the RCBS station , then i use steel mandrels to open up the necks to either .002" or .001" neck tension to uniform, after that is all done, I use a small flat blade screwdriver and slip a small rag over the tip and insert the tip into the necks, twirl a couple turns and remove the leftover lube. I don't like lube on the inside of the case mouths prior to case filling and seating bullets. You would be surprised to see how dirty the rag gets after 5 cases.

I use Hornady Unique, because I bought a tub on impulse and it works well, and it's lasting forever. The smell reminds me of growing up when dad and I rubbed mink oil on our boots before hunting season.
just easier to use.... Alot of people use Imperial, but I can't gauge the right amount. Unique is just easier to use the right amount. Hats off to the ones with no problem with Imperial.

RCBS lube pad and a brush coated with the lube to lube the inside of the necks was the real deal for many years.Even longtime handloader and writer the late Bob Hagel used it and his method was exactly the was I was taught as well.I found out later this may not be the best way to load your cartridges if you store them for a while.I found after pulling some bullets on ammo that I had loaded a year or so was getting neck weld,some of the bullets turning green inside the necks.I had brushed the inside of the necks with RCBS lube before loading to help lube the bullet seating.This can cause inaccurate ammo and even increase pressure if your getting neck weld.Now when I resize my cases,I lube the outside of the case,but not the neck or shoulder.If I lube the inside of the neck,I always put them in the tumbler for an hour or two to remove the lube.When I get ready to load the clean cases,I coat the inside of the case neck with powdered graphite on a cotton bore mop.I've been using this method for about ten years and have never had any issues since.

I just recently switched from the Hornady One Shot lube to Forster's proprietary case lubricant. The Forster's case lubricant is amazing stuff. Compared to Hornady One Shot, it greatly reduces the effort to resize brass. The first time I used it, I thought I had put a resized case in the die. I barely felt it.

See: https://www.forsterproducts.com/product/high-pressure-case-sizing-lubricant/
They sent me a sample , it didn’t impress me. Using the right amount is critical with some lubes. The only ones l don’t have to fudge with is Unique and alcohol/lanolin. Alcohol/lanolin is the best until you have to reapply to the pad because the alcohol evaporates. It builds up eventually in the shoulder area of the die and Dents the shoulders. I think, for me..unique serves me well

Back