What is the difference in bullet weights for deer?

Sandman3022

Beginner
Aug 25, 2006
I have been shooting a .30 cal. 165 gr. Partion bullet with great success. I see that there are many bullets weights for a .30-06. What makes one bullet weight more effective than the other? Is it range?

How do you choose the weight of the bullet?

I choose the best bullet weight for the game intended to be taken, and with what rifle.

In the case of the "06, I generally run 150 - 165 gr bullets. There are top class bullets in these weights that will handle anything I am ever going to hunt with this caliber. For WT and Mule deer, either will take them cleanly out to 400 yards with the right conditions and abilities. The partitions are good, as well as the BT's and even the newer AB's. I have not shot any of the AB's as of yet as I feel they are just a little more than what I personally need.

Generally the heavier the bullet the more penetration you will get, as well as the better BC. However, the best BC does you little good if you can't hit a decent velocity. With the 150 and 165gr bullets you can take advantage of the higher velocities and still get most of the effective range out of either bullet. This isn't top say that a heavier bullet will not go as far or hit as hard as they will, but with the heavier bullet in this case class you give up some of the flatter trajectories that help in hitting your target.

Hope this helps.

+1 to what 41 Mag said.
The 165 gr weight is a good all around bullet weight for the 30-06.
For Elk and Moose, 180 gr or 200 gr bullets will give you deeper penetration.

JD338

The longer I reload, the less sense I see in having multiple loads for each caliber. Since I prefer complete penetration, I go with a heavy for caliber bullet like the 180gr Partition in .30-06 and use it on everything. Works well on elk, but doesn't destroy too much meat on whitetails.

I will change my choice if the case is of considerably smaller or larger capacity. I like the 140gr bullets in 7mm-08 and 7x57, but use 160gr in the 7mm WSM. I have a Model 99 Savage in .308 with a slow barrel and load it with 150gr bullets.

Weight is constant, but velocity changes with distance. With respect to other posters, at 400 yards the 180gr. Partition in .30-06 only drops 2.75 more that the 150gr Partition when both are loaded to factory velocity and sighted in at 200 yards. The 180 will have 270 ft/lbs more energy at that range and both will retain enough velocity to expand reliably.

I believe the 165 grain pellet to be the optimum for a 30-06. I find a bullet weight for a specific caliber and stick to that weight in that caliber. Thus, I don't have to keep sighting in my rifles for different Point of Impact for the different bullet weights. I buy different caliber rifles for different bullet weights.

I also believe the 165g to be optimum for the 06. 30 cal 150g bullets are like throwing a brick, and a 180g in my opinion is jus to slow for an 06. Thats why I like the 165g.

:grin: remingtonman - you sound like Goldilocks finding just the right bullet...

And by the way, I think you're right. I've got nothing really against the 150 or the 180 for the .30-06. Particularly the 180 if a guy wants to hunt bear, elk or other largish critters. The 165 is however a wonderful "do-it-all" weight for the .30-06. Sandman, since you're getting good results... Why change anything?

Regards, Guy

Agree with everyone in regards to the 165grain bullet. I've shot a number of Elk with a 165Grain Partition and haave found nothing lacking. I just haven't felt the need to go to a 180 grain bullet. I'll say it again, Nosler doesn't call their 165 grain 30 caliber Partition an all around bullet for nothing. I don't know how much penetration you feel you need but i find the hole most of the way through the animal and definitely through the vitals.

Thank you for your inputs. I was thinking along the same lines. I love my 165gr. and I think that's what I stay with.

Scott in Michigan":15a0r17w said:
The longer I reload, the less sense I see in having multiple loads for each caliber. Since I prefer complete penetration, I go with a heavy for caliber bullet like the 180gr Partition in .30-06 and use it on everything. Works well on elk, but doesn't destroy too much meat on whitetails.

Yup 180 for everything in 30-06 and 200 gr for the 300 rum. Life is simple.

Back