What Is the Most Accurate Bullet You Have Used

The most accurate bullets I have shot were hand-made 6mm in my benchrest rifle. They would shoot tenths. ;)

jim

For Accuracy

Sierra MatchKing 155/168/ 175gr in 308 Win and 300 WSM.

also the Berger VLD Hunting bullet in 185gr in my 30-06

For Nosler the BT and AB r accurate.......

Charlie

600 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 can I come to your house and get some pointers? I don't even imagin groups like that in my dreams. Can you tell us the particulars on the rifle???

just back from the range to give the 200 AccuBond another try.
shot the first 3 in .9 and the next 2 made it 1.5".
since i'm using a new nikkon monarch i brought my time tested 168 gr. TTSX load
just to make sure it was not the scope.
shot the first 3 in .247" never found the guts to shoot 5 :lol:

CH, you will do well with your 300UM and that 200gr AccuBond at 3050FPS. I have been using the 200gr Sierra Gameking in the 300 Win Mag at 2950 and it shoots really well and has held up fine at 300 Win Mag speeds. Your 200gr AccuBond load might even shoot as well at 200 as it does at 100. I have been finding that alot of the magnums really take about 200 yards to really stabilize and then they hold up pretty well downrange! Scotty

thanks beretz
good to know. i'll try a group at 300 for fun of it.
but i think i'll have to lower my load a bit cause this morning i had slight ejector marks on three rounds and on 2 rounds the bolt was a bit hard to lift.
the primer were not flattened at all but i don't like it.
so i guess i'll drop to 92-92.5gr. retumbo it should take me to 2950-3000 fps.
good enough for anything in north america still.

40, 50, and 55gr Ballistic Tips from my .223 all shoot very good groups at 100 yards. They tend to group better at 200 yards for me. The only other bullet to shoot more accurate in my rifle was a Berger that I shot a 1 hole three shot group at 100 yards.

Typically your most accurate hunting bullets are going to be target style bullets like VLD's, AMAX's or SMK's. They are held and made to tighter tolerances and they typically shoot better then hunting bullets, especially as the range increases.

I cant say what the most accurate bullet I've used is since I've gotten most bullets to shoot to my standards of 1/2" MOA.

My smallest 100 yard group was with my factory winchester model 70 in 25-06 with 53g of H4831 and a 117g sierra gameking. 3 shot group at 100 yards went .045"

Have several 3 shot groups at 100 yards with my factory rem 700 triple deuce that are in the .1's and low .2's with 40g vmax.

For longer range work with hunting bullets, plastic tipped like the NBT or AB are great, as well as target bullets like the AMAX (which is plastic tipped) and of course Berger VLD's and SMK's.

Looking at all the bullet data I had through the years, I can honestly say that all bullet manufactured here or that from abroad can be very accurate. Modern shooters these days are truely blessed. Thanks in part to the the advancement of technology in bullet making process and handloaders access to a variety of components to choose from. A few years back, after I brought home my new Winchester Laredo in 300 Win Mag, my buddy loaned me 20 rounds of 180 grain Sierra Spitzer that he just loaded for his then brand new Remington 700 Sendero. Opening season was just around the corner and I was anxious to hunt with my 300, so I went to the range that weekend to zero the rifle, and here's the first 10 rounds that came out of the pipe. This was while breaking-in the barrel.

Picture009.jpg

This deer is the first one to succumb to the rifle. I shot it at a distance of about 300 yards.

2006-09-16-0917-46.jpg

Later on, when I was able to get my own components, I switched to 180 grain Hornady BTSP because we were not satisfied with Sierra's performance.

Here's a typical group from Hornady. I used this bullet through the years until the lead ban took effect here in Kali.

Picture097-1.jpg

Took this deer with the Hornady at 638 yards at a very high angling shot. The longest shot I had taken to date.

scan0002.jpg

And to be fair with Nosler, since this is their forum after all :grin: I have these result with their hunting bullets.

5 shoot with my 280 Remington. and 3 shot with my Kimber 223

IMGP0504.jpg

For their match bullet, performance like these is hard to beat. 10 shot from my 308 Tactical using 168 grain Nosler Competition.

IMGP1990.jpg

Some fine rifles, and a good rifleman, make for targets about which we can brag. Good shooting, DF.

Elkman":1zu6cs9e said:
Charlie

600 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 can I come to your house and get some pointers? I don't even imagin groups like that in my dreams. Can you tell us the particulars on the rifle???

Rem 40X action
McMillan stock
Hart bbl
Jewell trigger
Redding Competition dies - match components

This rifle regularly shoots less than .5 moa and often less than .25moa but the image posted was of a once in a lifetime group. Here is the rifle in action.
724720_groundhogs.jpg
[/img]

I have also had very good accuracy using the 162 gr A-Max in a custom 7 STW. Terminal performance on whitetails was as good as it gets.

Great picture. What part of NY are you from? I can't remember seeing that many woodchucks in one day in NY. Scotty

Charlie-NY

Nice shooting and a very sharp looking rifle!
That 600 yard group is awesome, congratulations!

JD338

beretzs":2xfm8nda said:
Great picture. What part of NY are you from? I can't remember seeing that many woodchucks in one day in NY. Scotty

Thanks to everyone for their compliments. The photo was taken in the Sesquhanna Valley of PA. Here is another picture taken at the end of the same day.
7247night_groundhogs_2.jpg

Charlie,

That is a truck load of 'chucks. Way to go!

JD338

Always a pleasure to see the conclusion of a successful hunt. Congratulations, Charlie.

My most accurate bullet/load/rifle combo is the 155 Nosler CC in a K-31 schmidt rubin. Shoots sub MOA with issue iron sights at 200 yards. Would undoubtedly shoot cloverleafs with optiks. Won me a couple ViMBAR matches with that rifle. One of these years I'll take it to Perry. Just need to get a Garand worth firing at paper to make it worth the trip.

Most accurate hunting bullet I ever fired was the Hor 150 sp. Grouped sub-bore dia in my old Rem 788 before I wore that rifle out. That's splitting hairs though, as it also shot Nosler solid base, Rem. core lokt and every other bullet I tried at or under 1MOA with the right powder charge.

In general trends, I've gotten my best accuracy with Hornady hunting bullets and Nosler match bullets. Just starting to experiment with nosler hunting bullets, so that may change. Wish they made a "classic" bullet for my Sav. 99, Mosin Nagants and 8mm mausers. A nice 180 gr. .30 and .311 SPRN with a thick ductile jacket and an 8mm 196 gr BTSP would be beautiful. And I still miss the old "solid base" bullets. Guess I'm just a hopeless throwback who still likes to stalk deer in the deep dark woods.

I’ve always been lucky bout getting bullets to shoot good for me. I first started my reloading venture w/ 30-06 165 grain Barnes Tsx, shot a three shot 3/8’s group with them. But on game was another story jus punched holes, no blood and a nightmare to track. The worst one I had to track was 75 yards; thank God it wasn’t that thick. Cause of that I switched to 165 Nosler Accubonds, 3 shots, ½ inch groups. Using 180 Accubonds I get ¾ inch groups (three shots) the 180’s do the same thing in my brother’s rifle, good enough for the girls I go with. From looking at the groups above . . . . . I aint even on the same planet with these guys.

I’ve always been lucky bout getting bullets to shoot good for me. I first started my reloading venture w/ 30-06 165 grain Barnes Tsx, shot a three shot 3/8’s group with them. But on game was another story jus punched holes, no blood and a nightmare to track. The worst one I had to track was 75 yards; thank God it wasn’t that thick.

Gray, that's too bad. My experienced with TSX on games was nothing short of spectacular. Nine animals we harvested in Africa were all taken with TSX, all 1 shot 1 kill. Maybe you should gave it a few more chances to redeem itself. Lately, We switched to TTSX for better ballistic and again Barnes did not disappoint us. Here's a 3 shot group from my friend's custom 300 Weatherby. Frank shot this group at 110 yards. This was also my first use of Reloader 25 on the Bee.

Franksrifle001.jpg

Back