What mounting system should I use on my new 280AI?

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I just received my 280AI back from the smith and need to bed it and mount the scope. Built on a REM700 with a 26" Douglas barrel. This rig is designed to be a long range rig. I'm using a VX3 4.5x14x40LR with a 30mm tube, CDS knobs for elevation and windage and side focus. I'm having Leupold install a as yet unadvertised reticle that has a MOA type reticle.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use a 20MOA rail and rings, Nightforce's 20MOA all in mount or a set of one piece mounts from Talley.
What are your opinions?
Thanks,
Scott

Seekins aluminum rail and rings, if for no other reason than I want you to be a guinea pig for an expensive mount I'm interested in...

Scott, I am a huge fan of Talley's, but I actually prefer their QD set ups over their 1 piece mounts.

For a LR type rig though, seems like Kurt probably has the best bet though.

All of those mentioned will work but you don't need a canted base to get to 1000+yds with a Leupold LR scope. Guns like that for me usually get Talley light weights. Burris Z rings work well also for cheaper rings and you can use 2 piece steel Weaver style bases or a rail with them.

Long range and a tactical scope almost always benefit from using a sloped base in every application I've encountered. Most in the plus 20 moa base. Two use 30 moa bases, and one 25 moa base. I like having the scope optic centered within the range it's used.

just slide down to WARNE and get ya some good stuff probably at a discount but you know as this reticle is waking me up I think a NEAR Alpha Mount would work or maybe thier rail system would work and they are made with Titanium and Stainless ! Richard can make you most any can't slope ya want, but you get what you pay for with near manufacturing :grin:

Back