what scope for 378 WBY?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Well looks like I broke another Leupold VX-3 on my 378 again.
I need monster scope that can take it.

Funds are limited (imagine that). This thing is a tackdriver and will be used for long range shooting.

Can someone help?

Vortex Viper maybe? I can not afford a Nightforce guys.

Be cool to try a Minox on it Fotis. Just to see if it held up. I think that Vortex might be okay as well too. Seem to get alot of good press..

Oh! I would try anything but not in a position to "test drive" if you know what I mean ($$$).

I need a "sure" thing.

Gotta call them and see.

I was thinking on a bushy 6500 also. I have one on my sako and I love it!

The 6500 is the only Bushnell that I would attempt. Can you pick up a VX-8 yet or see if they would put the VX-3 value torward it or the VX-6
Just thinking out loud :)

Blessings,
Dan

Fotis,

This is the 3rd time you broke a VX-3.
When you send it to Leupold, see what they have to say about it.
Scotty may be right about the Mark 4.

JD338

Just talked to Leupold.

The mark 4 is indeed a stronger scope .....BUT the first thing he asked was am I using a lead sled.

I said yes but my gun is braked and it feels like a 7mm rem mag. He said that does not make a difference. The recoil is not going were it is suppose to.
This would trash even a Mark 4.

So there you go!

Maybe go to a fixed power. They are suppose to be stronger and have no moving parts to speak of so that might help.

No more Lead sled for me! :evil:

FOTIS":1f2l4k8n said:
No more Lead sled for me! :evil:

Personally if I have to have a lead sled its way too much for me to shoot I like my retnias and my shoulder still being intact.

FOTIS":28ek3xo7 said:
Just talked to Leupold.

The mark 4 is indeed a stronger scope .....BUT the first thing he asked was am I using a lead sled.

I said yes but my gun is braked and it feels like a 7mm rem mag. He said that does not make a difference. The recoil is not going were it is suppose to.
This would trash even a Mark 4.

So there you go!

That's good info on the Lead Sled. I trashed a Remington factory stock on one.

If the big boomers are braked, I don't use a Lead Sled. If they are not braked, I may use the Lead Sled. Even then, for the sake of consistency and feel, I will try the first loads without the Sled. I simply don't enjoy being beaten up, however.

The trick to not breaking stocks is not to put a lot of weight on the sled.

Some people put 50 LBS of shot so the stock takes all the pounding with very little if any give.

FOTIS":2s463bm9 said:
The trick to not breaking stocks is not to put a lot of weight on the sled.

Some people put 50 LBS of shot so the stock takes all the pounding with very little if any give.

That's what I did a couple years ago and have since learned from that mistake. Just now getting around to putting a new stock on that rifle next week.

I had heard of such experiences so that I called Caldwell on this a few years ago. I spoke for almost 30 minutes with the tech and with a sales person. They officially stated they do not believe their product is the cause of such failures. (of course no one would offically admit such :wink: )

This is just my experience. I use the lead sled and with 50 pounds for almost 3 years now. I have used this setup with no such failures (at least not yet) Because of such reported experiences I have always made a habit to check both stocks and scopes. Maybe I am just fortunate? No issues and all scopes have continued to perform perfectly, even the cheap ones.

The only thing I can think of that might make a difference with my setup is from the very beginning the rubber cushion on the rear bolt disentgrated so the sled does move every time. I am also on cement bench that also allows the sled to slide a bit. I use barbell weights strapped on the flattened plate with velcro straps. Perhaps this movement makes the difference. If the lead sled is standing firm and no movement, this could be a problem?

Sorry to hear your misfortune though! I know that has to be super frustrating. I hope you get this straightened out so you can enjoy your rifles.

Please keep us informed. You guys have had bad experiences with the lead sled my just be the living proof.

338winmag

I used a adjustable cradle that I hung shot bags on for a while until I figured out it changed my point of impact versus shooting without it. I also sewed a strap between two 25lb shot bags and wrapped the strap around the buttstock so the rifle had to drag the bags. Anymore if I can't shoot it from the bench without help I don't shoot it. Honestly some days are better than others with my big boomers though.

IdahoCTD, I had also heard that as well. So again I tested this possible issue with alot of different caliber rifles and still test as I load for different rifles. After I work the loads up, I just shoot off a bag. I literally see no POI difference. I also have the rifle owner's test after and on bags, and POI is a beautiful thing. I dunno. I might be doing lots of things wrong that are countering what should happen so that it doesn't happen. :)

What I have found with the Lead Sled is I am able to stay out at the range all day and shoot 100-150 rounds load testing different rifles and not start flinching whatsoever. I initally thought that I did not flinch when working up the 300 winmag and the 338 winmag loads (and not using the Sled) but I became honest with myself and really found that after usually 11-14 rounds, I am anticipating the recoil more than concentrating on shooting. The Sled completely eliminated that.

I am probably a very small minority that endorses the Sled use - at least until this negative stuff starts happening with me. :roll: :roll:

Good comments from everyone to take into consideration when incorporating loading practices though.

I don't know what an easy solution is that does not cost a lot of money and would completely eliminate the issue would be. I have never used a sled but have read several posts and articles about damaging stocks and scopes with heavy sled loads. Plus, brakes add their own dynamic to the vibration nodes set up during firing. I suspect all of this is additive to the problem that you are having.

I think that I would do one of two things in order to minimise the financial impact of this issue, buy a fixed powered scope with a reputation for withstanding recoil or maybe buy a like new Kahles or Swarovski Z3 (or AV) in 3-9x42 or something smaller with lower inertial mass and bulletproof construction. Plus mounting a smaller bell closer to the barrel will not only reduce inertia but will reduce scope flexure dynamics as well.

You can't change the physics only weight and magnitude of flexure. Maybe a 30mm scope would help with flexure as well because it is more rigid has a much higher moment-of-inertia (resistance to bending forces). Just a thought or two.

Back