what scope for 378 WBY?

I just looked up the recoil energy of that rifle Fotis. That is some pretty serious recoil. A lot more than my "lil" 338 win mag!

This is a good thought though things can get expensive testing this stuff out. --> "Maybe a 30mm scope would help with flexure as well because it is more rigid has a much higher moment-of-inertia (resistance to bending forces)"

Keep us posted.
Steve

I will. Just sent the wounded back to Leupold. We will see what they say.

338winmag":tbh57tnk said:
IdahoCTD, I had also heard that as well. So again I tested this possible issue with alot of different caliber rifles and still test as I load for different rifles. After I work the loads up, I just shoot off a bag. I literally see no POI difference. I also have the rifle owner's test after and on bags, and POI is a beautiful thing. I dunno. I might be doing lots of things wrong that are countering what should happen so that it doesn't happen. :)

What I have found with the Lead Sled is I am able to stay out at the range all day and shoot 100-150 rounds load testing different rifles and not start flinching whatsoever. I initally thought that I did not flinch when working up the 300 winmag and the 338 winmag loads (and not using the Sled) but I became honest with myself and really found that after usually 11-14 rounds, I am anticipating the recoil more than concentrating on shooting. The Sled completely eliminated that.

I am probably a very small minority that endorses the Sled use - at least until this negative stuff starts happening with me. :roll: :roll:

Good comments from everyone to take into consideration when incorporating loading practices though.

I didn't use a lead sled from Caldwell though. That may be the difference. For some reason I can't remember the name of the one I used.

Talked to Leupold today about the 4.5x14x40mm VX-3 LR that I had on my 378. It should get here today.
The insides were scrambled! Erector, elevation clicks, power ring etc. I guess a 378 Bee in conjunction with a lead sled is a no-no.
Hence the double grouping I was getting last time with the Kreiger barreled Bee.

I bought a 4.5x14x40mm Mark 4 LR/T through the military Leupold program. They said that will hold...... we will see.

The whites and yoke and mixed up into a running yellow mess? I'm really impressed with the Mark 4 on my brothers AR-10 it's really nice and I think you will be impressed with it. Hopefully it will hold up for you!

FOTIS":27f7wzt0 said:
Talked to Leupold today about the 4.5x14x40mm VX-3 LR that I had on my 378. It should get here today.
The insides were scrambled! Erector, elevation clicks, power ring etc. I guess a 378 Bee in conjunction with a lead sled is a no-no.
Hence the double grouping I was getting last time with the Kreiger barreled Bee.

I bought a 4.5x14x40mm Mark 4 LR/T through the military Leupold program. They said that will hold...... we will see.

Hope that MK4 holds up Fotis, they are supposed to be tough, but that 378 really brings alot of things to its knees before the bullet ever leaves the barrel!

The Mark 4 is a robust scope, hope this holds up for you.

JD338

Well, the 378 does generate some serious recoil. It would be a real test for any scope, I should think.

I use a lead sled, but I don't put any weight on it. Even with the nasty kick of my 338RUM, which kicks a lot more than my 375RUM, it not all that bad shooting w/o any weight. I think the most I've ever used was 25lbs when I started load development for the 375RUM, but soon realized it wasn't necessary. Oh and non of my RUMs are sporting a brake. Both rifles are wearing VX-3 scopes. I had to get Talley mounts/rings for the 338RUM as the scope kept moving and just in case, I converted from the std Leupy mount/ring system to their dual dove-tail system.

Back