What targets to use with peep sights?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
OK guy these eyes are getting old. With the peeps on my 45-70 348 etc I am having trouble seeing a 3" orange dot at 100 yards.

What do you guys use at that range? Dead on or 6 o'clock hold? :?:

Thanks!!! :mrgreen:

I run a bead vs a blade on all my aperture sighted rifles. They are all hunting rifles vs paper punchers. For the range I use a dot or a circle larger than the bead and shoot center. Seeing a small bull is not the point of the exercise nor is it necessary. If your ring / circle fits tightly around the bead but is still discernible tight groups are easily attainable assuming the rifle shoots. It is a different mindset than shooting a scoped rifle. I don't even look thru the spotter until I've shot my group. Set up like that in the field when I slap that bead on the kill zone I expect it to hit a point that the bead subtends. You can, and I do, maximize your PBR by adjusting your peep to hit higher than center at 100yds, but it is always under the bead. That's where I want my shots to go.

Silent Sam":1sop1w65 said:
I run a bead vs a blade on all my aperture sighted rifles. They are all hunting rifles vs paper punchers. For the range I use a dot or a circle larger than the bead and shoot center. Seeing a small bull is not the point of the exercise nor is it necessary. If your ring / circle fits tightly around the bead but is still discernible tight groups are easily attainable assuming the rifle shoots. It is a different mindset than shooting a scoped rifle. I don't even look thru the spotter until I've shot my group. Set up like that in the field when I slap that bead on the kill zone I expect it to hit a point that the bead subtends. You can, and I do, maximize your PBR by adjusting your peep to hit higher than center at 100yds, but it is always under the bead. That's where I want my shots to go.
+1, I would also pic a front bead you can see easy on the target whether it's game or paper. Some like white or red but nothing that creates a glare like florescent colors unless that's what you like, a gold or silver colored bead will do and it's a matter of taste the old silver blade will work also but then you will need to use a 6-oclock hold. Or you could get a target front sight that you can change the blades on and switch back and forth till you find the one you like. :mrgreen:

Blade. 6 o'clock hold.

Bullseye big enough to see clearly with the naked eye. An 8" paper plate works well.

Or... Consider replacing that front blade with a nice front aperture sight...

Using that aperture front sight (with different inserts) and an aperture rear - I've actually shot better scores at 600 yards, than I have with the same rifle and a good scope...

Regards, Guy

I use 6 o'clock hold or flat tire holds depending on my position. A six in black dot makes a great aiming point at 100 yards but if you are having trouble seeing the target, measure the width of your front sight, divide that number by the sight radius, multiply by 3600. Whatever number you get will be the approximate width of your front sight at 100 yards. That should help you see it much better and get it lined up easier.

Preferrable- 4 inch black square on white backdrop. six o clock hold, have bullets hit center ( +2) This sorta "self corrects" with a six o clock hold to 200yds or so. If 4" is too small, then try six or even eight, but still hold six o clock 'center" and still put your bullets +2". I got this from reading John "Pondoro" Taylors writings and it sure works! Good luck to you Pard.

Any pictures or images would really help!

preacher":1ghoio1q said:
Preferrable- 4 inch black square on white backdrop. six o clock hold, have bullets hit center ( +2) This sorta "self corrects" with a six o clock hold to 200yds or so. If 4" is too small, then try six or even eight, but still hold six o clock 'center" and still put your bullets +2". I got this from reading John "Pondoro" Taylors writings and it sure works! Good luck to you Pard.

Man I hope I can see a 4" black SQ. at 100 yards! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CMBTshooter":1msfkfok said:
..... measure the width of your front sight, divide that number by the sight radius, multiply by 3600. Whatever number you get will be the approximate width of your front sight at 100 yards.

Good stuff!

Fotis the front aperture sight that Guy pictured is real easy to use and works great. I have used it on target rifles when I was on one of the USANG rifle teams way back when.

OK guy these eyes are getting old. With the peeps on my 45-70 348 etc I am having trouble seeing a 3" orange dot at 100 yards.
What do you guys use at that range?

A scope ! (y)

I get some of my best groups using a 4 inch white square against brown cardboard or paper ba g material on cloudy days. On sunny days I use the same setup but a 4 inch black square.

I find with iron sights or scout scopes a large solid color circle really helps. I tend to go bigger than most of you suggest. A solid green or orange circle at least 8" around and aim for the center , the center is always the same size!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkman":dua8e2c1 said:
What do you guys use at that range?

A scope ! (y)

Now wouldn't a scope look silly on this?

or a side mounted scope on this?

You know, there's a hugely popular discipline, NRA Highpower, devoted to the use of "peep" sights on paper bullseye targets from 200 - 1,000 yards.

Get the appropriate range target, and you're in.

There will be nothing better. Thousands of dedicated riflemen use those targets for practice and competition every year.

Guy

Back