What the....... blown case.

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
An unfortunate and quite strange event happened to me last Saturday at the range.
Been shooting my Rem.700 BDL with my usual and long-time tested .270 Win load (Norma brass - Norma 204 Powder and Nosler BT 130 grs.).
I think brass was a 2nd time shooter, being inspected as usual and loaded with top notch care.

One out of 15 shots has litterally cut the bottom of the case right out of the bolt - circular cut.
During the shot sequence I have not noticed anything, but when I opened the bolt, I got only the bottom-primer side out, while the rest of the case was stuck in the chamber, which eventually has come out quite easily.

Please, keep in mind the load I am talking about is nowhere near the maximum and has proven many times to be a very balanced and accurate cartridge both for hunting and shooting purposes.
Never had signs of high pressure either.

Now, I have read this is normally due to "excessive headspace" ???

Could any of you "switch the lights on" ?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Your case may have been sized to much for that chamber. Don't fire any more loads made from that die setting.

Instead feel inside every case with a wire that has a tiny hook bent on it for insipiant head separations.

Get back to us on what the cases are like and then we can help you set the FL die for later loadings..

Incipient case head separation. Try neck sizing only.

Excessive head-space sure will caused that, but for a quality brass like the Norma and only been reloaded the second times, I'm not sure. Another possibility is bad batch of brass. It could happen. Check the rest of the brass and see if you can spot telltale sign of impending casehead separation. Usually a ring will form around the case web and it's easy to spot. Try the paper clip method also of checking the inside of the brass around the same area. If I were you, I'll stop using those brass and swiched to another brand and see if you'll have the same problems. If so, time to rebarrel. Goodluck

I would use a hack saw or power tool and cut one of the suspect cases
in half long ways so you can visually see what's going on. Also you might
want to borrow or invest in a case headspace gauge. To check headspace
on the rifle, find a local gunsmith with a no-go gauge.

Back