fire forming

slickrem

Handloader
Oct 22, 2016
I know I started another thread about Fire Forming. Bullets touching with a near max load does it well but not quite the first time out. My question to ones who are successful at it, and I don't need a commentary about it either, what powder seems to work the best or is it just a stout load ? Any powder that stood out better than others.

On another note....... Once FF, using Redding competition shell holders, which BTW they do bump .002 at a time, have any of you have limp bolt handle after the .002 holder is used ? I ran sized cases without the firing pin assembly and have very slight resistance. Does the right hardness, after annealing enough times, effect the "feel" or change the feel of the bolt handle?

Last edited:
I've never noticed the feel of closing the bolt change . I anneal every reloading cycle . maybe the guys that anneal every couple cycles would notice this .

as to your fire forming question . I don't think a different powder will change this . I'll say it's just the nature of the brass case . the brass case will spring back a couple thousandths after it's been fired . that's why I say you need to fire the case 3 or 4 times until it's fully expanded .

I've never noticed the feel of closing the bolt change . I anneal every reloading cycle . maybe the guys that anneal every couple cycles would notice this .

as to your fire forming question . I don't think a different powder will change this . I'll say it's just the nature of the brass case . the brass case will spring back a couple thousandths after it's been fired . that's why I say you need to fire the case 3 or 4 times until it's fully expanded .
Got 100 Remington cases coming monday. Wondering if LC 69 brass is just tougher?

Back