What the Hell? Over pressure

CoronaCA thank you for sharing this experience. A valuable learning opportunity for all of us. I have to admit I was always cognizant of the “one powder, one primer type on the bench at a time” but was never too concerned about the bullets. Your experience is a valuable lesson for me. Been reloading since 1964 and still learning!
Welcome to the forum.
Duane

Glad you are ok and you got it sorted out.

FWIW, I use magic markers to color code primer pockets prior to seating primers. Leaves a nice red, geeen, orange ring around the primer pocket for a quick visual.
Once a bullet is seated, you can't tell what weight it is so this helps me identify different weight AB, BT, PT bullets. You could do this for different powders, charge weights, primers, case firings etc.

JD338

First of all, we are all human and all make mistakes, so I'm passing no judgement and are just glad you are none the worse for wear! That could've been bad.

Secondly while we're on the subject I'll echo what Hodgeman said. It takes a minute extra if that, to make sure you're being as safe as possible.

The can of powder I'm loading on the bench and that can only out until I'm completely done. I read OUT LOUD TWICE the powder brand and powder number I'm reading from a book load, and OUT LOUD TWICE the powder brand and powder number I'm holding in my hand EVERY time no matter how routine that load is for that gun. The bullet box I'm loading and that box only is out. I simplify things farther by using 1 brand of brass and primers across a broad range of rifles except for a few harder to get chamberings where brass supply is limited.

I can be absent minded so I feel your pain. Reloading has no place for that so I do everything possible to make it idiot proof where even I can't screw up.

I had a similar situation once

I got some N140 from a friend and forgot about it.

Wanting to reload the 300 wsm, I just took the can of Vihtavuori from the locker and started - assuming it was N160...

Luckily, the friend I loaded for remembered what I told him about over-preassure! He stopped after one shot when the primer fell out.
No harm to him or the gun, but I went rather pale when he told me.
THAT won't happen to me again, I always double-check the label now...

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Believe me it happens ,I have almost done the same thing and actually did worse .Back in about 1979 or 80 a co-worker loaded up some 30/06 nosler portions for our boss he shot 1 in his 742 rem and had to beat the case out and swore of hand loads forever .I pulled a bullet and weighed it at 180 the writing on box said 165 and the powder was max for 165s so I put them back to pull later, jump forward 37 years to 2017 I had just acquired a brand new Handi rifle in 06 and grabbed an old box with 18 cartridges in it so I set out to sight her in WOW I didn't expect that much kick so I pulled it tight and fired a second round . This time I knew something was amiss as empty was hard to extract and cracked so I came home pulled a bullet and while weighing it hit me this was the 18 bullets I was going to pull . Yes I do have a tendency to procrastinate .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

JD338":1lhdsctp said:
Glad you are ok and you got it sorted out.

FWIW, I use magic markers to color code primer pockets prior to seating primers. Leaves a nice red, geeen, orange ring around the primer pocket for a quick visual.
Once a bullet is seated, you can't tell what weight it is so this helps me identify different weight AB, BT, PT bullets. You could do this for different powders, charge weights, primers, case firings etc.

JD338

GENIUS!

Yikes! Glad you are OK!! Thanks for the honesty in sharing your experience. One set of components on the bench at a time!! thanks for the reminder. CL

Back