what to build?? need ideas

matts318

Beginner
Mar 4, 2007
My father is giving me his old winchester m70 in 3006 because the person who borrowed it for the last 20 years didnt clean the barrel ever so its all pitted and stuff so now it shoots like a shotgun, I want to build a big game hunting rifle on the action though since its free.

So my question is what is something I could chamber it in that fits in a standard length action? I might get to go on an elk hunt with my dad next year in wyoming if everything works out and is really the reason why Im building the rifle.

I need something with some power that can still shoot flat enough to hit something past 200 yards, and I would like to avoid anything with a belt on the case, wildcats are just fine with me as long as making the brass is easy.

I need some Ideas on what has worked good for people here, I plan on building the rifle in the spring, just looking for some ideas.

first thing that comes to mind is 280ai unless you plan on hunting elk more often or don't handload this way you get magnum performance without opening the boltface

SInce you don't want a belted mag, the 300 Win Mag is out.
Tie 280 AI is a sweet heart, 7mm Rem Mag performance with out the belt.
If you want more power, look at the 300 RUM.

Still nothing wrong with a 30-06 either.
You have lots of options. :lol:

JD338

how bout a 7mm Dakota Packs one hell of a wallop and its not belted- its hard to beat a well made 280 akley though.

35 Whelen
Plenty of power for elk, decent trajectory and it won't blow up and blood shoot a deer. Simple, and the first choice of a lot of locals in Idaho and Washington.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

The 280 ackley is something I have really been considering, but I already have a 270 WSM and I kinda feel that a 280 ackley would be just about the same, correct me if im wrong there. I like the idea of a 300 mag just not the belt and super short case life. Is there such a thing as a 300 mag neck up to 8mm? I have also looked at the 3006 ackely, that doesnt look much better though, and the 338-06, and I have read that turning an 3006 into 8mm was pretty good, just not sure I could find 8mm bullets anytime soon.

But, I wouldnt be hunting elk often, but I do hunt the big hogs down here in tx and the brush can be pretty thick. I kinda like the Idea of having an oddball cartridge, its something to talk about at the range.

And guns I already have are, 270 win, 270 wsm, 243, 308, dad has the 300wsm which he will be using.

Since you already have a 270WSM, I'd go with something .30+.
I kind of like the idea of a 8mm-06 or .338-06 for a standard length, non-belted elk killer.
+1 on the 26" krieger or Lawton barrel.

I agree with the 338-06. Being it's "std" lenght action, the long action calibers are out, as well as the WSM stuff. It's making sense for a 338-06 more and more especially seeing your current list of rifles.

338-06 or 35 Whelen. Both will take elk at 1 to 300 yds with ease.

JD338

I was trying to talk myself into a 280 ackley but i just couldnt justify it, I like the 338-06 idea, anybody have a 8mm-06? Im wondering how much flatter the 8mm-06 would shoot than the 338-06.

The only issue that I see with an 8mm-06 is the lack of bullet variety. I was going to say dies too, but MidwayUSA has 8mm-06 dies in stock.

338-06AI

Here's a thread where the guy is getting as much velocity as I got from my 338 win mag

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 3731009601

I have a 280AI and think it is perfect but it would be close to the 270WSM. AI conversions are easy to work with, just fire form from the parent case and many dies are interchangeable like the Lee Collet.

I think the difference between the 338or 8mm 06 would be negligable

I would also consider the whelen after seeing your arsenal.

Hell most anything is good out to 300

woods, that was an interesting discussion over there, I think I would stick to the AI version and not the howell or pdk and all that stuff. So what the heck is a 338-06 A Square? that is what is in the nosler manual but I have never heard of it.

So what the heck is a 338-06 A Square?

A 30-06 necked up to 338. It is an excellent cartridge that would serve quite well as an all-round cartridge for North America (or Australia).

Correct me if I am wrong....I believe the .338-06 A-Square is just a .30-06 necked up to .338 and A-Square was the company that adopted it as a standard (no longer wildcat) cartridge. Meaning they produce factory loads for it.

Personally, I think I would go with the 8mm-06 as you are interested in a cartridge that will create some buzz, I'm sure there is an AI version that would create even more buzz at the range.

With the guns you already have, it is obvious you don't "need" a new rifle, you just want a new one. Trust me I am the same way. Bullet selection for the 8mm is scarce, but again, seems like the rifle would be more for fun than something that would have to get you by in a pinch.

Go with something different, have fun with it....

Back