What to do now

old #7

Handloader
Sep 9, 2006
I have found great loads for all of my rifles and pistols.
I have target/ varmint loads and hunting loads.
I feel a little bummed out that I don't have any more load development to do. I really enjoy a reloading project. Finding the powder, bullet and primer combination that prints the best group can be challenging sometimes. I think that is the best part of reloading.
I guess I'll go shooting. Maybe start working on my 300 to 500 yard shot.

So throw away all your data sheets and start anew. :)

I just got a new rifle so I'm not quite in the same boat. It's fun experimenting but its also rewarding knowing you have the best load you can get.

One thing I did just for giggles was develop multiple loads for the same gun (one light bullet, one heavy bullet) that hit the same point of impact at a distance you choose (I chose 200 yards). That's not near as easy to do as it was to describe.

One of the "best" rules I have found to live by is 1 gun, 1 load, 1 job. If for some reason you need another "job" done, you buy another gun. Works for me. :grin:

wingnut":1nj2tshm said:
One of the "best" rules I have found to live by is 1 gun, 1 load, 1 job. If for some reason you need another "job" done, you buy another gun. Works for me. :grin:

Kind of like all the shoes my wife buys! :lol:

JD338

Time for a new gun.

Been in this boat before. I have even purchased dies and brass for a rifle I didn't even own. That way I could justify a new rifle purchase in my own feeble mind. Works for me.

old #7, Sounds a bit like the situation I'm in with my target rifle. Several years ago I found a great load using the 155 Nosler .30 cal competition bullet and Varget powder. I haven't deviated from that load in years. Have loaded literally thousands of rounds with that same load... It works very, very well. Extremely predictable.

Unfortunately it's become very BORING loading that dad gum thing! :?

Every winter I load up a whole pile of 'em, usually about a thousand. Some years that lasts all year, some years I have to reload 'em all a couple of months into the shooting season. Just depends on how much trigger time I get. The good thing is, it's utterly predictable. The rounds will be accurate. They will provide the same windage & elevation characteristics that they did last year, and the year before...

Load development is fun. I like messing with different cartridges, different bullets, powders, cases... But like you, I've largely settled on my old standard loads. Most fun I've had lately is working up loads for my .300 WSM, which is a new cartridge to me.

Regards, Guy

Guy- An unrelated note. If you're putting a thousand rounds a year through a .30 cal how long do oyur barrels last? CL

A .308 Win is remarkably easy on barrels. I burned one out at a little over 4000 rounds, but the others have all lasted at least 5000 rounds. Last Krieger was retired at 5600+, and I've got a Hart with over 6000 through it. It still performs well.

1000 rounds or less of .308 a year is a bad year - like last year. I couldn't shoot much. Normally I do a lot more than that! :grin: Some of the serious Highpower competitors I shoot with average 5000+ rounds a year through their match rifles. Those guys 'n gals are GOOD! :shock:

Been in this boat before. I have even purchased dies and brass for a rifle I didn't even own. That way I could justify a new rifle purchase in my own feeble mind. Works for me

No doubt about it. Either a new gun or rechamber one for an Ackley improved version so all you need are new dies. Then again a new stock or barrel might keep you . Oh yeah, there are a lot of new scopes to be considered for the new ? I'm working on my jackalope loads as we speak. :lol:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

old #7":j3kbb8c4 said:
I have found great loads for all of my rifles and pistols.
I have target/ varmint loads and hunting loads.
I feel a little bummed out that I don't have any more load development to do. I really enjoy a reloading project. Finding the powder, bullet and primer combination that prints the best group can be challenging sometimes. I think that is the best part of reloading.
I guess I'll go shooting. Maybe start working on my 300 to 500 yard shot.

One thing is doing it over with more current powders to get a more temperature insensitive load for hunting. That ought to keep you busy on your hunting rifles. ;)

Have you looked at Hodgdon's Hybrid 100V yet?

jim

I would like to try out a new rifle but I think its going to be a few months before I can make that happen.
I like the idea of buying the dies first :lol:
I think something in the 6mm range would be nice. I really like the 243 but would like to try something out of the oridinary.
until that happens I will work on the long shot.
I haven't tried any of the Viht powders yet. That would be something to tinker with.

old #7

6mm is a nice caliber.
If you are thinking off the 2 track, how about a 257 Roberts?

JD338

Buying components first is my strategy as well. I have 300 204 Ruger brass, powder, and bullets laying around next to a good VX-III waiting for a R-15 Preditor cs! The hard part is the Kimber 8400 Montana in a 270 WSM is also calling my name . . . yep pretty sure I can hear it :twisted:.

So many choices!

Back