What will a Berger 140 VLD do to a beaver?

Dr Mike & others: My goal is to make sure he is reduced to as many pieces as possible.
I detest these critters. They can really destroy GOOD bottom land ... well not destroy the
land .... but render it totally useless for the productive uses I wish to make of it .... & they
are a pain in the toe, & frequently the pain goes higher, to get rid of. In other words they
are not one of my favorite "beast" as you called them Dr.

Al, I shot one with a .38 Special revolver a long time ago...

It was intent on damming up a substantial creek on a ranch. Rancher said it needed to go. Put the sneak on that rascal one evening and solved that problem! A lead 158 grain wadcutter works.

Buddy of mine cleared out a little colony of 'em doing the same thing on his land, using an AR-15 rifle. It worked just fine.

Guy

I once pulverized and tenderized a porcupine at 4 yards with a 12Ga turkey load of #5 lead shot that was walking towards me.
Keith

Guy, With my shooting skills I would have to have the barrel in his mouth to
hit him with a pistol. Don't believe he would sit still long enough for me to
do that. I really admire and respect you fellas that can hit such a "beast" with
a pistol. Now I might could manage a hit with a turkey load out of a shot gun
and that would closely approximate the kind of damage I would like to inflict on
the critter ... permanently gone from the property. By now I guess you have
gotten the idea that I don't like the damage these critters can cause.

Ya, other than deciding to use a handgun, I went full-sniper on that danged beaver.

Did a preliminary recon during daylight. Ascertained that the beavers must be working on the dam at night.

Got down there in the thicket near the dam, REALLY near the dam, at dusk and waited... And waited... Silent. No movement. Just became part of the landscape.

Shot that critter with a Colt Bisley! I had no idea the old Colt was actually worth real money... :shock: Just had it tucked into my belt, not even in a holster.

I think the shot was maybe 3 or 4 yards... :grin:

Guy

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... uctId/6128 These would be a lot of fun. Proximity fire would probably be effective. Was looking to see if they made the Barnes MPG sintercore in 6.5mm but no luck.

The .310 one designed for 7.62x39 is one of my favorite critter bullets. They make red mist out of skunks, opossums and other such varmints from my 7.62x54R night rifle (Soviet era night vision is so much cheaper when you can put it on a Soviet era rifle without the adapter needed).

They are nocturnal creatures, so if you REALLY hate those beavers... a 5.56 AR15 and this will get you there. Amazing how prices on active illuminating night vision have come down. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1931972

True story..I swear. Years ago, along the Missouri river in South Dakota during deer season, Dad stepped on a porcupine that had not made its way to a den for the winter. My uncle reports that being on a steep side hill when he stepped on ole prickly, Dad lost his balance and went down. Maybe it was all those years a horse back as a kid but, Dads 6'4" frame just rolled with it, came up on one knee (his favorite shooting position) and the seven Mag went off with the Porcupine just a few yards away. I did not see the actual rodent, but I have the Skull/ jaw bone and a few quills. Maybe that's all that was left..... :grin: I suspect a beaver will be similar. CL

Head shot beaver die easy , my favourite is a 17hmr. But have taken numerous with a 22lr. Many prefer the 22 mag . Best thing with using a rimfire is if you wack one and stay still the others will be out swimming around within a few minutes . If it's damage control your after that's the ticket. I like chest waders and getting out off shore into cattails or willows if it is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back