What's best 25-06 deer bullet ?

jr1968

Beginner
May 20, 2007
Hi guy's

Just got a new 25-06 barrel for my encore and was wondering if the 115bt's would work well inside of 150 yrd's if I kept the velocity under
3000 fps? Or should I go with 110 accubonds, and what would be a good
load?

Thanks Guy's

jr 1968

I use BT's for deer,some people feel they need for AB's or partitions for deer.I would use either the 100 or 115 BT,which ever is more accurate in your Encore.

SakoSteve270wsm":2b8oiu40 said:
I use BT's for deer,some people feel they need for AB's or partitions for deer.I would use either the 100 or 115 BT,which ever is more accurate in your Encore.

+1

JD338

I have killed many WT deer with the 115 BT from 10 to 300+ yards out of my 25-06. My normal shot is within 150 yards and always had complete pass through no matter the angle or hitting a shoulder.

I have also shot 2 deer with the 85gr Varmint BT at 70 and 125 yards. I forgot I had ran out of the 115 BT and did not have time to get some more. I had complete pass through in both cases, but a lot of damage. Every rib was busted on both deer and there was an exit hole that was about 8". No pickled heart that year :cry:

I have not used the AB, but have never had a penetration problem with the BT on WT. The BT is cheaper and I would only go to a AB if I was using the 25-06 on Mule deer or similar.

The 115 BT will work fine in your 25-06. I have shot several antelope and a bunch of wild hogs with them. They have always performed admirably.
Having said that, my favorite bullet for the 25-06 is the 100 grain Partition.
How it drops BIG pigs is just amazing.

I would recommend staying away from the 100 grain BT for anything larger than deer. A friend had them work fine on deer, but they blew on the surface when he shot a couple of medium sized hogs with them. (And this was in a 25 WSSM, not all that fast.)

I load the 100 grain partitions with IMR 4831, but switch to IMR 7828 for the heavier 115 BT.

the 110 ab has done great for me on whitetail, antelope and mule deer. another good bullet is the hornady 120 hollowpoint. its a good controlled expansion bullet. i've never recovered one because they all exit with about 1-2" hole.

I'm with warden and pop mt favorite is the 110 AccuBond talk about hitting with some punch! I shot a large WT buck at 455 yards and he dropped stone dead very impressive and IU also use them for coyotes as they stay together well and you have a liveable hole to boot!

1 bullet and 1 sight in and it kills things dead and with authority. My buddy killed a real good goat with his and I loaded his with 110 accubonds and it went 20 yards and fell dead. Very accurate bullet to boot.

Either way post some results on your findings.

The BT will work in the 25-06 but you MUST keep that velocity under 3,000 or you probably won't be happy with it. I was shooting BT's at 3,100 out of my 270 and had some bad things happen at close range. If it were me I'd go with the AB. That is what I switched to in my .270 and it is awesome.

Bowhntr":1bvmsmv4 said:
The BT will work in the 25-06 but you MUST keep that velocity under 3,000 or you probably won't be happy with it. I was shooting BT's at 3,100 out of my 270 and had some bad things happen at close range. If it were me I'd go with the AB. That is what I switched to in my .270 and it is awesome.

The BT is designed to work from 1600 fps up to 3000 fps impact velocities.

JD338

Using BTs on a shoulder bone or hip bone shot at close range could leave you dissapointed. It has me. With an 110gr. A/B you never have to worry. I just don't see any reason to use BTs instead of A/Bs unless they're not made in the caliber or weight you choose. Same B/C and they expand real well. My opinion of course, for what that's worth. Good luck and post pictures.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Back