WHAT'S THE SMALLEST OR BIGGEST ANIMAL YOU'VE TAKEN WITH YOUR

I'm shooting 400 grain Barns Busters in mine. I forget the load date but it's running 1900+-. I haven't shot much with it, ground squirrel, coyotes, 1 deer and a bunch of porcupines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am using Montana Bullet Company 350 grain cast bullets in mine over, 51 gr. of 3031. I use it around my place for culling large ground squirrels. It's tremendously devastating out to 20-25 yards. All hit have been clean 1 shot kills.

You guys must be vaporizing those poor ground squirrels! That's a lot of gun! LOL but glad to see that the 1895 is accurate enough to do it!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

An older Browning 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine 45/70 I used to own and hunt with. Took a beautiful Bear with it, and a few Elk in their bed, all with the 400 gr. Hawk SP bullet.

Attachments

• P1020802.JPG
    P1020802.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1,182
  • P1020810.JPG
    P1020810.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,182
If nobody wants there's, I'll gladly take their 71 off their hands! LOL

SJB358":2z0vlq6f said:
That's a very cool rifle Kevin. I need to get mine out.
Thanks Scotty! I wasn't using it anymore Bear hunting over bait, and thought it should be put to good use! (y) Out West I was mostly glassing doing spot and stalk type hunting, but in the heavy timber the gun had a place in sneaking up on Game.

405 gr Remington soft point loaded to about 1650 fps via RL-7. Shot a mule deer at about 70 yards. High shoulder shot, disrupted the spine. Deer reared up, and over. Instantly down, but not dead. :(

I had to finish her at short range when I walked over. I've had that happen on some high shoulder/spine shots. The game will drop instantly, but not necessarily die quickly from that hit.

All I had to shoot at was the top 1/3 of the mulie, due to tall grass. So, that's what I took. The bullet passed through, ruining very little meat. Those 405 gr Remington bullets used to be avail at reasonable cost in bulk, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Regards, Guy

It's unfortunate to shoot an animal like that. I know. It's happened to me as well. But you dispatched it quickly. It stinks that the bullets aren't as available as they used to be. Thank you for your story Guy! Always enjoy hearing your encounters.

HAWKEYESATX":2uyukav1 said:

As per our conversation off the open forum, I have found I have not lost anything by using the 348 in comparison to when I was using the 45/70, ( walrus, bear, muskox, bear, caribou and wolf ). which is why I have ordered a second 348. Right now the 45/70 goes as a back up, but it will stay home when the second 348 arrives. However my grandfather handholds, so it is not problem, but components for the 45/70 are much easier to find.

Dr Mike, Gil, Gerry, Dan, super7---where are you buying your

woodleigh, swift and northfork bullets ? thank you

Thankful Otter":3t3964cg said:
HAWKEYESATX":3t3964cg said:

As per our conversation off the open forum, I have found I have not lost anything by using the 348 in comparison to when I was using the 45/70, ( walrus, bear, muskox, bear, caribou and wolf ). which is why I have ordered a second 348. Right now the 45/70 goes as a back up, but it will stay home when the second 348 arrives. However my grandfather handholds, so it is not problem, but components for the 45/70 are much easier to find.

Dr Mike, Gil, Gerry, Dan, super7---where are you buying your

woodleigh, swift and northfork bullets ? thank you

Tradex carries Woodleigh bullets.

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/88

I have ordered almost all my Woodleigh bullets from them.

Woodleigh Bullets indicates that Larch Valley Enterprises carry their bullets in Canada (Ph. 403 932 5222).

Thanks Dr Mike. My grandfather was having difficulties with his service ( telephone and internet ) and ask me to ask my friends here on the forum for an assist, as he wants to work up some different loads, and was unable to get the information he was looking for and wanted me to make some calls for him. Thanks again for the assist

Here in the States, Woodleigh bullets are, to say the least, quite expensive. Would Hornady or Nosler bullets be comparable to your Woodleighs?

HAWKEYESATX":32bw27k8 said:
Here in the States, Woodleigh bullets are, to say the least, quite expensive. Would Hornady or Nosler bullets be comparable to your Woodleighs?

Nosler makes excellent products and we use them. My grandfather is pretty set in his ways and since he does all my reloading at no cost to me I dont argue with him.

He believes the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt and has never understood using less than what each person perceives is the best bullet for his gun. He also knows that in my work I am often times much closer to danger than some and if necessary he doesn't want to lose me, because he wanted to save money on bullet costs.

He likes Woodleigh, swift and northfork , but also feels that Nosler, makes excellent bullets. He also like bullets from Alaska bullet works, and the norma Oryx bullets. He, like Scotty, is a big fan of the bitterroot bullet, but alas hey are no more.

It is getting late in the year for him and he will be leaving soon, so he was trying to find out what was available, in stock, in Canada, right now

thank you again Dr Mike and thank you Hawk for your response

Thank you Thankful Otter.
Nosler, Hornady, Speer, and Sierra have really good reputations here. Barnes is becoming quite reputable here as well, especially for their all copper projectiles. I've been looking into them as well, and they seem to make a really good product that stays together, and almost always exits, and makes quick, clean kills.

Anyone,
Has anyone loaded the Speer 350 gr FN in their 1895?
Is it a tad too long to use?

Buffalo bore loads them in their heavy 45/70 load. It's a very stout bullet, I'd run it fast as you can. I've run it out to 2800fps in a 458 lott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Speer 350's could be safely loaded to around 2100-2200 fps, would that be enough to create reliable expansion do you think?

Back