What's you favorite method for priming?

rick smith":24un5ly1 said:
Been using the RCBS bench mounted priming tool for over 20years. Tried the hand tool and gave it away.Rick.

I really like the looks of that tool. Can you feel the primer seating with that long handle?

I've been using the RCBS Hand Priming tool with the round tray for almost 20yrs. I got it in 1994-ish, when I started handloading. It uses shellholders and you just swap in the one that fits your case. Pretty easy, and I've grabbed a set of the sizes I use most and just keep them with the priming tool. One caution - it does matter what shellholder you're using. I tried it with a non-RCBS shellholder (either Lee or Hornady, can't remember) and the holder was too deep, leaving primers seated just a tad high. So I splurged the $20 or so on the RCBS shellholders I needed (back when they were still cheap!) and have never had another issue. I only prime a few sizes, though - .473 (-06/308 case head size), .532 (belted magnum), .44 (38Spl/357Mag), .424 (40S&W/10mm), and .506 (30-30WCF) - so it's pretty simple. I did have to buy a WSM shellholder recently, so I guess I'll be on the lookout for a sale, though for the time being, the Hornady shellholder works fine and primers are properly seated. I don't like to have to dig, though, as I keep a cadre of shellholders with all the small parts for the priming tool.

Beyond that, if I were buying today, I'd buy the universal tool, and never look back. The RCBS is phenomenal. And I've never had a problem with seating or detonation. I don't understand how one could, though, as my seating tool doesn't push that far up. Just far enough to seat the primer, and I'm bottomed out on the stroke of the handle. Maybe a tolerance stacking issue for that one guy.

I have been using a Lee hand primer for awhile. I also have an older RCBS that I cannot get the correct length mandrels for.

OT3, RCBS can't help you? They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing. Worst case, a machine shop should be able to fix you up. Did you lose the mandrels or are they just not seating primers to proper depth? Maybe it's a shellholder issue like I had?

Am I the only one using the RCBS rock chucker primer auto feed system? I admit I'm new to reloading, but this seems to be working for me. Are there advantages with the hand primers?

I use the priming system on the Forster. It works fine for me and like Bill said, I know it is seated all the way when it comes off the press!

dubyam":3mcea1pd said:
OT3, RCBS can't help you? They're usually pretty good about that sort of thing. Worst case, a machine shop should be able to fix you up. Did you lose the mandrels or are they just not seating primers to proper depth? Maybe it's a shellholder issue like I had?

Dubyam, RCBS tried to help me. They sent me some free mandrela for this tool but they were not the right length. They tried very hard to help and just did not have the right parts. I will find one somewhere for scrap and figure it out. RCBS was very helpful though. Actually, I could make the ones they sent work, if I could find a lathe.

Elkman":1ltnfri7 said:
Screaming Eagle
HaHa! I have a tool for pressing out u-joints. Maybe that would work!!!

Perhaps it would work for bullet seating also?

Never thought of that! Why oh why do I sprend money for comp seater dies?

I guess that you could use the U-joint as a TIR (runout) indicator on bullets. That ought to be interesting as to what readings you would get?

RCBS hand priming tool, be using it for 10 years and it works great. Been thinking of getting another to one for LRP's and one for SRP's.

I like the feel and I check every case visualy too.

Have tryed them all and now use the RCBS auto primer that goes into my press. It accepts the CCI strips and I can prime 50 cases in less than 5 mins without ever having to touch them or juggle them in anyway. Slickest method ever . 8) My buddy has the bench mounted version of the same unit and it works exactly the sameway as the press mounted one.

Rcbs hand priming tool

I always have a feel of how far the seating depth is, primer pocket friction (size) etc etc.

Used one for years

Back