what's your style ?

Guy , I've used ground blinds some , mostly turkey hunting . I feel I don't see well out of them when I have a couple windows closed . with all the windows open you can see right through , it doesn't hide much . I took a young guy out turkey hunting years ago . we used my blind ,since I didn't know how well he could sit still . after a few hours I'm glad we were in my blind . I think his mom packed him a picnic , all he did was eat . I sure had fun with him though . he has turned into a pretty decent hunter . I have a few pics but I can't find them now .

Jim

Firelight blinds geese and they will swim away from it. You put a plank across the canoe and build a fire on the plank. You rig a cover on the end of a rod and they will swim behind it and when they do you drop a net and start wringing necks.

Maybe Rodger, but I bet Jim has already been snipe hunting lol

Had a couple days off and now it is time to go back to work. Hope everyone, in the U.S. had a great holiday.

Jim, please accept my apology for the thread drift

Guy , here are the couple pictures I have of us . I just put the blind up for turkeys . they don't seem to mind the blind . for deer hunting I'd brush it in to try to hide the blind a little .

Attachments

• P4230483.JPG
    P4230483.JPG
    646.4 KB · Views: 826
  • P4230484.JPG
    P4230484.JPG
    736.2 KB · Views: 826
Thankful Otter":2nwy87j5 said:
Jim

Firelight blinds geese and they will swim away from it. You put a plank across the canoe and build a fire on the plank. You rig a cover on the end of a rod and they will swim behind it and when they do you drop a net and start wringing necks.

Maybe Rodger, but I bet Jim has already been snipe hunting lol

Had a couple days off and now it is time to go back to work. Hope everyone, in the U.S. had a great holiday.

Jim, please accept my apology for the thread drift

Interesting , no need to apologize you didn't do anything wrong .

Most of my deer hunting over the past 48 years has been sitting still either on the ground or in a tree stand or a shooting house because of the situation. In the mountains of TN I usually find a spot that deer were traveling or using and if on private land put up a hang on stand or use a climber. If on Gov. land I usually sit on the ground on top of a ridge or up on a big rock where I can see the area below me. Reason for this type of hunting is the terrain is very steep and very thick with laurel bush and you can't see very far and you would make way too much noise trying to still hunt. In East NC where I have done most of my hunting over the past 38 years the terrain is either flat farm fields or very thick cut over or swampy terrain. Usually hunt out of shooting houses on edges of fields where you will have a shot from just under you to hundreds of yards away or have shooting lanes cut through the cut overs with shooting houses. Hunting is usually done the first couple hours from sunrise or before dark when deer are moving on their way to feed or coming into the fields to feed. I have also used a tri-pod set up in front of me as I sat on the ground and used some camo netting draped over the tri-pod to make a ground blind. I use this in a section of NC wildlife land right next to my lease land that has an old logging road running through the woods that I can see 350 yards straight down it. I set up on one end setting on a folding stool with tri-pod in front of me with my rifle. I have killed many a deer doing this especially during the rut. I guess you could say most of my hunting has been snipping. I also have done some dog hunts where each person is given a stand spot which are usually numbered and the dogs and drivers are turned loosed to drive the deer toward the stands. You use shotguns and buck shot and most shots are within 60 yards. This is mostly a social event with a hunting club. I much prefer sitting in a spot snipping.

Sometimes I seem to have a little trouble figuring out where I'd put a tree stand... :wink:

ETBfmmhl.jpg

This is central Washington by the way - NOT Wyoming.

Guy

Jimbries, I think ones style of hunting depends on where and what they are hunting. I dont believe I have a favorite "style", but "adapted" to the "hunt". as an example sir--

"tracking" in Africa, "spot and stalk on ski;s" in Sweden, "Dog.s" ( for cougar ) in Old Mexico, "calling". while in a blind for turkey in the southwest.

As for birds. Like Guy and Don, I love bird hunting with a dog. As mentioned I did enjoy the goose hunt's in Canada and the Dove hunt in Argentina, but my favorite is Pheasant in S. Dakota, Montana, Kansas, or Scotland. And even this is different and I enjoy both. Everyone already knows about hunting birds in the states as most here do so. But I also enjoyed getting "dressed up" as a classic Scottish pheasant hunting lass and hunting with the "very proper" gentlemen LOL

Sir, I think I always enjoyed the experience of hunting, the land, the camaraderie, the camps ( and hunting lodges ), as much as the hunt itself. I always loved living off the land while hunting and have taken a rifle, shotgun and fishing rod with me when hunting and even when fishing at times. This of course has gotten harder to do. But I bet there are others here besides Dr Mike and I who remember when hunting ( birds and big game ) and fishing was easier and possible. I bet people like Gil, Hodgeman, Bear, Cheyenne can still go out for a week and live off the land while hunting.

I hope somebody still can

p.s. Guy was posting as I was typing---And that Guy is exactly my point--love it. I believe you could also knock down a bird or two and possibly find some trout and have either or for dinner--of course venison is also very tasty

Spot and stalk in the west

Set and wait in the east

Guy, I am so envious of the area where you hunt. How far do you have to drive from your home to be in the mountains hunting ?

Back