Where is all the ammo?

Before all of this hubaloo, I was buying a box a week of ammo for my rifles, and pistols.
Luckily I've been able to find components to load my own lately, and have the bullets and powder to do so.
I have close to a thousand rounds of 5.56mm.
I'm prepared for SHTF.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Handloaders have the advantage of being adaptable. When ammunition is scarce due to hoarding, the handloader has the ability to adapt with what is available to make decent ammunition for the firearms at hand. What is made may not be optimal for the firearms available, but it will be optimal for the components at hand. Wow! What a time to be living.

HAWKEYESATX":d28ocn8s said:
Before all of this hubaloo, I was buying a box a week of ammo for my rifles, and pistols.
Luckily I've been able to find components to load my own lately, and have the bullets and powder to do so.
I'm prepared for SHTF.

Hawk

Those are rookie numbers...we have to pump those up!

I always try to keep rounds on hand after the last time this happened. It is shocking how quickly ammo prices go through the roof and availability goes to unobtainium.

5shot":29egmp56 said:
HAWKEYESATX":29egmp56 said:
I'm prepared for SHTF.

Hawk

I always try to keep rounds on hand after the last time this happened. It is shocking how quickly ammo prices go through the roof and availability goes to unobtainium.
My philosophy, 5shot, is, and always has been one shot, one kill.
I don't believe in spray and pray.
If I don't hit on the first shot, I definitely will on the second.
You can ask some on the posts here how well I can do things.

Hawk

DrMike":133m4jpr said:
Handloaders have the advantage of being adaptable. When ammunition is scarce due to hoarding, the handloader has the ability to adapt with what is available to make decent ammunition for the firearms at hand. What is made may not be optimal for the firearms available, but it will be optimal for the components at hand. Wow! What a time to be living.
I have to agree with you DrMike.

Hawk

I’m getting calls from people I know that bought their first gun, and have trouble finding ammo. They have no idea what they should buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1ci1wib4 said:
I’m getting calls from people I know that bought their first gun, and have trouble finding ammo. They have no idea what they should buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I told them to buy a time machine. Go back a few years, buy that first gun and a thousand rounds of ammo, go to a professional class and learn how to use it right.

Wah.

Guy

DrMike":2vajrvnm said:

I’m with Mike. I may not have perfect but I’ve got plenty that’ll work for a long while before panic would set it.

HAWKEYESATX":2wl9jbgz said:
5shot":2wl9jbgz said:
HAWKEYESATX":2wl9jbgz said:
I'm prepared for SHTF.

Hawk

My philosophy, 5shot, is, and always has been one shot, one kill.
I don't believe in spray and pray.
If I don't hit on the first shot, I definitely will on the second.
You can ask some on the posts here how well I can do things.

Hawk

[emoji23]

This is kind of a cyclical issue that keeps going around. Ammunition shortages have created new interest in reloading...which in turn creates component shortages.

While I love reloading, this latest crop of shooters is approaching it from the digital mindset. I literally got a note on Facebook from an acquaintance that said.."I've got some 7.62x39 fired cases, some magnum pistol primers, some 170gr. flat nose bullets and some H110 powder...can I make that into ammo?"

Apparently he just bought whatever random components he could find hoping it would work out. He was pretty pissed when I told him that he could make all of that into ammo...just not all the same kind or all at once.

One thing is for sure...there is a lot of ammunition vanishing into the consumer market.

Back