Which bullet for the 300 Wby. Mag

CraigP

Beginner
May 4, 2005
I have a Winchester 70 XTR in 300 Wby mag with a 24" barrel. I am looking for a one load for this rifle and can't decide on a bullet. I want this gun to be able to take anything in North America, except the great bears. Anyway, which bullet would you guys use? DO you think an AccuBond would hold up, or would I be better off using a Partition or E-Tip? Thanks.

Craig

I shoot a 300 wsm and the 180 g AB is about perfect for that. I think you would be very happy with a 200 g AB if you intend on shooting Elk, Moose, or deer. You may want to go to the 165 or 180 if you are just shooting whitetail just to reduce recoil a little. There is no reason that the AB wouldn't hold up to the velocities you will be reaching. The AB is a good all around bullet because it has low drag for extremely long shots and it still holds up due to it's bonded core. Just try the 200's and if your rifle likes them, let'er buck.

Mark

If you are looking for "one load" to do anything with, the 200gr Partition over RL-22 is tough to beat. I used this combo for 3 years in Alaska and never had a problem. The 200gr TSX would also be very nice.

Good luck-Tim

I'll chime in with the opinion that the Partition, AccuBond & E-Tip could all be ideal. Get some of any or all of these, and I'd suggest starting in the 180gr weight, and find out whether your rifle likes one of them better than the other. If money is a concern (it usually is, but sometimes more or less) you could start with the AccuBond, see if it shoots well, and then make decisions from there. Or you could try either of the other two first, it doesn't matter. For long range shots, the E-Tip may be the best choice, but it depends on what your rifle likes. If the 180's don't pan out with either of a couple of powders, you could switch up and try the 200's. I'd prefer, were I you, the 180's, but if they don't shoot well, find something that does. Good luck, and enjoy all the shooting!

CraigP

Welcome to the forum.

The 300 Wby is a very hard hitting round. You want 180 gr to 200 gr bullets, the heavier one retaining more energy over longer ranges.
A single bullet for NA is easy, 180 gr PT or AB.
If you want to include the big bears, 200 gr PT for everything and don't look back.

IMHO, I would start looking at the 180 gr AB.

JD338

Ditto,JD and dubyam. See what the rifle likes in the 180 or 200 range and don't look back. The 300 wby mag can get that 200 nab smoking pretty good and can take any game in north america and most african game besides the very largest. I would personally lean towards the 200 nab for the ballistics of the bullet and the construction. I shoot the 180 nab in a win mag and I find it to be the best bullet that I've tried to date and I've tried them all.

I have killed a fair amount big game animals with various 300 WBYs. Such as Mark V, Remington 700, and Sakos since the 80s. Including Deer, Elk, Black Bear, and Moose. All taken with 300 WBY & 180 grain Nosler Partition. All of them died with one shot. You do your part and the 300 WBY with a 180 Partition will do its part.

In the 90s a hunting buddy of mine got a Ruger #1 in 300 WBY the 1st year he got it. He killed a Moose, a Black Bear, a Deer with a single shot each using the 300 WBY with 180 grain Partitions.

The 180 Grain Partition would get my vote based on what I have seen it do.

I have a friend with a 300 Weatherby Mag who loads & fires Nosler 165gr Solid Base Bullets(discontinued by Nosler but he has a very large supply) using IMR 4831 on Black Bear,Mule Deer & Elk & knocks them dead.

CraigP

I have that exact same rifle and I've used the 180gr PTs for over 10 years for everything. Mine is super accurate with IMR 4350 at 3145 fps. I suspect A/Bs would do as well or better. I just havn't used up all the PTs yet. I even shot it in sillouete events out to 500 meters. If you have a good BDC scope that rifle will amaze you.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Thanks for all the replies and the welcome. You guys have confirmed what I was thinking. My initial thought was to use the Accubonds, but having no experience with them I thought I would see what everyone else thought first. I'll pick up a box of 180's and 200's and see if i can find a load my gun likes. Thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Craig

CraigP

The 200 gr AB will turn your 300 Wby into a true long range hammer.
It will also open up just fine on deer sized game too.
It would be an excellent all around choice on game as well as long range target shooting out to 1k yds.

Let us know how your load development goes.

JD338

180 Partitions and work up with IMR 7828. Works every time.

pop, you're right on the money with IMR7828. At least one manufacturer of .300 Weatherby Ammo uses that powder. I use it along with 180 grain partitions and my chronograph tells me that in addition to it providing excellent accuracy it also provides pretty near top velocity.

I haave played with many different Bees. It is great powder.

Back