Which country would you hunt and why

Dr mike, Scotty, charlie and IdahoCTD ,---thank you

also based upon your above referenced posts I thought I would share the following. I do worry about this a little as I do not have her permission, but I dont think it will be a problem.

Right after my post today I heard from Aleena via a pm on a different forum and she said "the 340 Bee is a great caliber but there are better options I should consider for this trip. If your going to purchase a rifle, She would recommend a 416 Rigby, as they are easy to shoot, ammo is all over the place for them in Africa, it would be a better choice for hunting lion than the 340 Bee, plus you can still easily use this caliber for the Kudo and Eland hunt. And the caliber can be used for Elk, Moose, and Brown bear in North America, after the hunt.

She told me there is no minimum caliber, but the law does state that you must have a minimum muzzle energy of 5400 Joule to hunt Lions. ( to be honest this was something I had to figure out, so I learned something new )

She recommended Swift A Frame for Kudo and Eland, but said several on the forum could help me if I chose nosler over swift, and that Nosler would get the job done. she said she would only use Woodleigh for the Lion , but others use other bullets successfully.

Again thanks to everyone for their help and support

I have to totally agree with Aleena on the 416. I initally bought a 375 ouch&ouch for my DG hunt in 3 years. A friend who just came back from a DG hunt related that a 416 would be a better idea for animals that can stomp, gore, bite, claw you. I guess for me the 416 it is as being stomped, gored, bitten and clawed will leave a mark that I don't want.
Russ

russ808":14tws2uv said:
I have to totally agree with Aleena on the 416. I initally bought a 375 ouch&ouch for my DG hunt in 3 years. A friend who just came back from a DG hunt related that a 416 would be a better idea for animals that can stomp, gore, bite, claw you. I guess for me the 416 it is as being stomped, gored, bitten and clawed will leave a mark that I don't want.
Russ

+ 1

John, do you remember Bill ( Triple A ). Anyway I had also planned on going a different direction but after hearing from Bill and Aleena, I also now have a 416 Rigby and love it. You will not be disappointed and as Russ says being stomped, gored, bitten and clawed is not a good thing. I also will be using woodleigh in the 416, However, I am sure that jim, Scotty , charlie and several others could and possibly will suggest a nosler formula for the 416/lion and 416/eland and kudo

russ808":3qrtbzsi said:
Russ

thanks Sean

Russ, do you have a Nosler load worked up for your 416 that would work on lion and or eland/Kudo ??

hunternyny, I am jealous! You are going to have an awesome trip! Just the planning must be exciting. Enjoy every minute. You will remember and recall it for ever. No matter how many more trips you go back, the first is always the best. You can lose the guns, lose the trophies, lose the pictures, but the memories will always be there.

Hunternyny,
I bought the 416 last week and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Thats what my bad finger clicked on Gun Broker. I will get the load that my buddy uses, but I remember him saying 400 grains/2400 fps. I will be using IMR 4350. Nosler #6 has 88 grains as the most accurate.
Ridgewalker said it best. You can go to Africa for the first time only once and it will be the best.
Russ

Tanzania, I have personal friends who live there and also guide as as PH, lowering the cost since it is expensive to hunt in Tanzania this really reduces my cost factor. They give me all my logging and guide for me for free, all I have to do is get there and pay for my permits. Haven't been in a while but the invitation is open to me at any time. Don't know if I will take advantage of it unless my work pays for me to go over there and do consulting for them which would also take care of my travel expenses.

Hunternyny,
Got my rifle and it came with the target they shot.
The load they used was from the Nosler #6. 88 grains of IMR4350. I was VERY impressed at the grouping for the 416.
Russ

Russ , thank you. did you stay with the 400 you mentioned and was it from Nosler or ?

I will be gone a few days but will get your answer upon my return and will thank you now

Also, congratulations on the gun, glad it arrived and shoots well

Man, the 400 grain PT in a 416 sounds like alot of fun! Do you have any pictures of your rifle yet Russ?

No pictures as yet. Can't find where I put the camera. I can take a phone picture and text it to somebody if they can post it.
Russ

russ808":a4k947pb said:
No pictures as yet. Can't find where I put the camera. I can take a phone picture and text it to somebody if they can post it.
Russ

Sorry Russ, I am out of phone range right now. Can you email to anybody? I can post it if you email it.

That's a pretty skookum rifle, Russ. Congratulations.

RussRifle.jpg

Do you intend to shoot the 300WSM more than the Rigby?

Mike, Thanks a bunch. Set me back a bit. Yep I will be shooting the wsm more. I bought a bunch of wsm brass when shooters had it in stock. I don't have any 416 stuff yet. I have a lot of 375 stuff (bullets) that I will be putting up for trade for 416 stuff. Looking at Norma brass and 400 grain Partitions. The only issue I have is the wsm mag is under sammi length. I will be emailing H.S. to see if they will make a long one.
Russ

WOW! That is one awesome rifle Russ! What a system! WOW! That is very impressive!

Scotty, When I first saw it, I thought it was a great thing. Kind of like a T/C. My hunting buddy has one in 416 Rigby and 338 Lapua and it SHOOTS the lights out.
Russ

Back