Which frangible 224 dia. bullets do you prefer?

350JR

Handloader
Sep 21, 2012
There are a few frangible 224 diameter bullets around now and I'm asking for experienced opinions of which of them others have found most accurate and which seem to be the most volatile.

Rifle is a bolt action therefore any special considerations the AR type rifles may or may not require are not an issue. 9 Twist.

My uses will be for reduced loads, very close range if it's of consequence.

I dont think any of them would fail to work but I am curious as to any findings others have had comparing brands.

Any experiences shared will be appreciated.

God Bless
Steve

I prefer the Hornady SP SX in 55 grain. I have used them with a reduced load of Alliant 2400 powder getting ~2600 fps. This is very accurate out to 150 - 200 yards, around 5/8" I shoot prairie dogs with them. I am shooting a CZ 527 223 with 1 in 9 " twist. They may not be quite as accurate as a Vmax or Varmageddon, but close. I ran into a deal and got 2000 of them for $140 or .07 each.

I have shot Hornady 55gr SX bullets since about 1970. They are great and never ricochet. I load them in a 223 rifle and pistol.

350JR":1tnal0qa said:
There are a few frangible 224 diameter bullets around now and I'm asking for experienced opinions of which of them others have found most accurate and which seem to be the most volatile.

Rifle is a bolt action therefore any special considerations the AR type rifles may or may not require are not an issue. 9 Twist.

My uses will be for reduced loads, very close range if it's of consequence.

I dont think any of them would fail to work but I am curious as to any findings others have had comparing brands.

Any experiences shared will be appreciated.

God Bless
Steve

What caliber are you shooting? Some of the SX bullets don't like high velocity. I had a 220 Swift that I tried to use 50 gr Sierra Blitz and they would come apart in flight. I shot them in a 223 Rem. and they were great. Really did a number on ground hogs.

350JR, if you re looking for splat factor with reduced loads check out the 40 gr TCM HP bullets that you can order through Ammo Warehouse west. ( Nevada) They were designed for the TCM cartridge and thus expand mightily !! We ve shot thousands on Sage rats with Blue Dot loads running 2700-2800 fps. If you watch you can catch them, at least in past, for 6-7 cents apiece. Have to order fairly large volumes. 3-4 of us would go together and order 10K or so.

They ll shoot under an 1" at 100 yds so to about 150-175 yds critters in big trouble. Killed a number of badgers with them and DRT.

The 40g VMAX and 40g varmageddon at 3800fps are 2 of the most violent explosive bullets I've shot out of the .223 Nothing else even comes close...

Agree that 40 VMax and BT violent but in reduced velocity loads I d wager a bet the 40 TCM HP will be their equal. And if cost is a consideration for OP at a significant savings.

The 40 TCM is not a 250-400 yd bullet though since it's got such a big HP and low BC.

Excellent gang. SORRY about the late reply. I thought I had checked the box to be emailed when I got a reply....guess not. I didnt have any email but just came back in to see what else was on the table.

I should have clarified by adding my equipment and round too.

I'm shooting a twin to hainleym's rifle. A Cz 527 American 223, 9 twist. Barely a year old and the original owner must have had it threaded or somehow I've missed that CZ had offered the standard contour 550mm barrel for a bit but I'm assuming the previous of the two. No desire to shoot heavy weights so the 9T wasnt the goal but it works. Just found a deal I couldnt refuse and that's what it is.

Ive got a box each of the SX bullets coming. 50 and 55 grain. 2000 SX bullets for 7 cents each? Dang. I'd have fought to get to them first like a fat man with diarrhea spying the last of the TP on the shelf. Wow. I paid more than double that per bullet........and I'm still sitting waiting. It was a trial finding them IN STOCK at any price but I'm a real tightwad normally on bullet prices.
I too shot them in the early 70s and they have a permanent spot in my fond memories. For standard plinking I came accross 500 Remington SP 50 grainers too but none are here yet LOL Dang Virus. Reason number 103 to hate the thing. Slow order fills and deliveries.

Thanks on the 40 TCM HP suggestion. Sound good. My kind of price tag too. I'll have to pick up a thou of them. The splat factor is related but my desires have more to do with eliminating ricochets so just wanting some super volatile.

Thanks to all
GodBless

Back