Which gun rest for testing loads

Ehgbyf

Beginner
Dec 10, 2013
I am looking to buy a gun rest for use while I am testing loads and sighting in my rifle. I was looking at the lead sled and was going to see what everybody thought.

Will it hurt a 300 wby to be tied down and shot through that rest?

Thanks

The Lead Sled does tame recoil at the bench. The tradeoff is that it stresses the scope mounting system, and can stress the scope itself. I prefer sand bags or the Bulls Bag system.

I use a Caldwell Rock front rest and an Edgewood rear bag. Edgewood makes very good bags.

The Caldwell isn't the best made, but gets the job done.

I wouldn't personally use a lead sled--I've heard too many stories about broken or rubbed stocks or scopes.

I will have to see if I can find the post that I read where someone shot a Weatherby in a lead sled and the stock fractured as well as the scope had moved in the mounts. I will always just use sand bags. Once rifle has been sighted in then I will shot in all different positions to simulate hunting scenarios. That way I will be ready for what I am using my rifle for.

I use a stoney point shooting rest. They are no longer made but cabelas use to all them as well. The lead sleds are bulky and hard to get a good check weld and comfortable position. Of the stocks I have seen damaged on lead sleds and shooting rests are the people who want to feel zero recoil. They will load their lead sleds woth 100# weights and then strap them to the bench as well... if the stock absorbs all the recoil something is gonna give.

I use a Caldwell front machine rest and an Edgewood Mitigator rear bag for range accuracy testing. I will not use a lead sled in any case. My rifle stocks and scopes are too expensive to take a chance of trashing them with a sled. Besides proving the rifle is more accurate then I am doesn't mean anything if I can't shoot it to its potential.

Oldtrader3":1xj18qgm said:
I use a Caldwell front machine rest and an Edgewood Mitigator rear bag for ranch testing. I will not use a lead sled in any case. My rifle stocks and scopes are too expensive to take a chance of trashing them with a sled. Besides proving the rifle is more accurate then I am doesn't mean anything if I can't shoot it to its potential.

I really like your way of thinking. Any gun when harnessed down can most likely shoot better than I will ever be able to shoot it from any sandbag rest. Like you say a rifle that I am not able to handle and shoot with full comfort and confidence will not be in my safe. I think it will be very hard for most hunters to pack a lead sled around for a days hunt. LOL.

I also use a caldwell rock. It adjust up and down which is nice for moving the muzzle up or down. Sand bag in the rear. The rock works pretty well, however after trying a friends bull bag I want one. I,m with OT-3 on the lead sled. No way I would use one.

I use sandbags.
Seen a Lead Sled ruin a gun so I opt not to even own one. If I can't position it on sandbags and shoot it I don't need to be shooting it. Also, everyone is built different and sighting in using a sled doesn't mean your sighted in when you're in a field position.
Sight in from your most likely shooting position in the field and then know your POA/POI changes from different positions.

...I prefer Bull Bags, they're a lot more versatile & almost a stable as a good ($300-600) bench rest used w/ a rear bag...

...works good enough to check a 200yd. "zero"...

Ehgbyf,

Welcome to the forum.

The BullsBag is the way to go.
I have been using the System 7 bag with excellent results and have no problems shooting steel at 800 yds with my 338 RUM.
IMG_07801.jpg

I also use it for crop damage deer hunting and we have made plenty of one shot kills off the System 7 bag.
IMG_20130713_203528_400.jpg

JD338

Ehgbyf":1wfe7xb7 said:
What kind of rear bag are you using above?

...a cheap Caldwell rear bag, I do fill my bags w/ blasting sand, heavy, but they tend to hold better...

I use a leadsled w/no problems but I do not weigh it down or strap a gun in it. I've never had a scope move in the mounts or had a scope failure let alone a stock problem.
That said I've never seen nothing but praise for the bull bags.

JD

Do you use a rear bag with that system 7 bag?

JD338":1opx83k7 said:
Ehgbyf,

Welcome to the forum.

The BullsBag is the way to go.
I have been using the System 7 bag with excellent results and have no problems shooting steel at 800 yds with my 338 RUM.
IMG_07801.jpg

I also use it for crop damage deer hunting and we have made plenty of one shot kills off the System 7 bag.
IMG_20130713_203528_400.jpg

JD338

Charlie,

Yes, I use a rear bag as you can see on the hood of the truck.
It is rock solid and steady and I have shot under MOA at 800 yds with this set up.

JD338

Back