which one should i pick

rkymt hunter

Beginner
Jan 29, 2006
Ok, I thinking about a Ruger 204 in a ruger, cz, tikka, or a savage , not so much for bench shooting as for hunting I don't need another 9 lbs rife so give me some feedback or any pros or cons on these rifles thanks

From experience my Ruger rifles are not that inherently accurate.

The Savage and Tikka, on the other hand, are very accurate RIGHT out of the box.

Have you checked Remington? I have the 204 in a Savage 12FV (bull barrel). If I were to buy another for hunting purposes, I'd seriously consider the Remington LV SF or the SPS models.

Richracer1":3koafd61 said:
Have you checked Remington? I have the 204 in a Savage 12FV (bull barrel). If I were to buy another for hunting purposes, I'd seriously consider the Remington LV SF or the SPS models.

+1
Remington's have always shot under MOA for me. The LVSF is one sweet rifle. Remington just annonced a new caliber, 17 Fireball.
Now if they would just offer a 20 Fireball.

JD338

I would not own or buy a Remington 700 type rifle for hunting. I don't like the safeties, brazed on bolt lug section, brazed on bolt handle, extractor, ejector, trigger, push feed or quality.

Thats a lot of reasons.

These days I prefer Kimbers. They make a 204.

If I were after a low priced one then Savage.

In fact I am getting up some interest in the ease of switching barrels and for that matter bolt faces on Savages.

Savage99":2gksdwjc said:
I would not own or buy a Remington 700 type rifle for hunting. I don't like the safeties, brazed on bolt lug section, brazed on bolt handle, extractor, ejector, trigger, push feed or quality.

Thats a lot of reasons.

These days I prefer Kimbers. They make a 204.

If I were after a low priced one then Savage.

In fact I am getting up some interest in the ease of switching barrels and for that matter bolt faces on Savages.

Yes my savage is a great shooting rifle, but my only issue with it is the composite/synthetic stock. What a piece of crap. The 12FV was very front end heavy and the foreend would flex quite a bit when shooting from a bipod. My remedy to this was a Boyd's Ross thumbhole laminate stock. Balanced out the weight of the rifle and of course, added a little more weight. So, if you do look at a Savage, get the wood or laminate stock. You'll be better off. I've heard good things about Kimber rifles. You have a big decision to make.

I bought the Ruger laminated 77 Target/Varmint rig in 204 for prarie dog shooting with a bipod from the prone. I have worked up a load using the 32 gn V-max. The trigger is a two-stage trigger and much better than any other factory ruger trigger I have ever tried.

For a much more portable rifle for coyotes, prarie dogs, ground hogs, I would seriously consider the CZ. The set trigger is sweet! Push it forward and give it a pull. Breaks like a glass rod, also the barrel is free-floated and the price is fair. I kinda wish I would have bought the CZ over the heavier rifle for all purpose varmint hunting. But then again, my 223 in TC Encore is good all around, so best of both worlds!

The savage witht the plastic stock I looked at was way to top heavy for my liking, but I hear they shoot.

Go with a Tikka T3 Varmint- great shooting rifle. I seen one this summer at the shop I buy at in a 204 and was VERY TEMPTED, but I just bought a Sako m75 SS 243 in May. A buddy has the T3 Varmint Stainless in 22-250 and a Tactical in 223. Here is a pic of "the one I let get away :oops: " rifle. A T3 Varmint Stainless with custom winter camo, fluted barrel, Swvorski scope in 22-250. Oh well, my future project rifle will be similar in either Real Tree winter camo or Hardwoods HD.

mvmas6.jpg

[/img]

Back