Which rifle for Elk

noslerfan

Beginner
Feb 13, 2012
I have saved my money and able to go Elk hunting for the first time this fall. The area we are going is wide open and may have to take a shot out to 400 + yards. I'm not comfortable taking a shot pass 500 yards,so I won't. I have few hunting rifles and like to get you gentlemen take on the rifle that would be best. I have a Weatherby vanguard MOA in 257 Weatherby mag I shoot a 120 gr Nosler Partition bullet. Or a Ruger No.1 300 H&H. I shoot a 180 gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullet. Or CZ model 550 .270 winchester. I shoot a 130 gr Nosler AccuBond bullet with this rifle. All 3 rifle are pleny accurate. Thank you.

Take your pick- the .257 is a bit light for my taste but it would work. Likewise, the .300 is a single shot- I'd prefer a repeater but one shot should suffice.

I'd probably take the .270 and roll the 400yd number back to 300 or less.

hodgeman":18qnmv5c said:
Take your pick- the .257 is a bit light for my taste but it would work. Likewise, the .300 is a single shot- I'd prefer a repeater but one shot should suffice.

Good advice, that. I use a 270 as my minimum, but smaller calibres will work, especially if you pick your shots and consider the potential for energy transfer. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with the 300 H&H after practising a quick follow-up until I was confident in my abilities to reload.

Going for a big bull or is this a spike/cow trip?

Even in a wide-open area, a fellow can generally find a way to stalk reasonably close to game. I like your statement about not shooting farther than you feel comfortable. I won't shoot beyond the ranges I've practiced with any given rifle/ammo combination.

Man - that Ruger Number One in .300 H&H sounds PERFECT! Classy. Powerful. At least reasonably accurate I'd imagine.

Take the .257 Wby as your backup rifle, .270's bounce off elk don't you know? :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to your elk hunt report - whichever rifles you take!

Best of luck! Guy

No doubt in my mind what so ever, the 300 H&H, with some 180 or 200 Nosler Partitions/AccuBond will fill the bill. Lots of elk have been killed with the two others, but the 300 brings a lot more downrange energy and penetration into the mix.

I too would favor the .300 H&H.
Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Well, theres been a lot of hunters use a lot of .270s on a lot of elk over a lot of years ... and its my bet it'll still do the job with the best bullet !!!!!!!!!

Hell, somebody had to stand up for the old girl :lol: .

I would have no qualms hunting elk with your .300 H&H Magnum Ruger #1. The advice on practicing for a quick reload is spot on. My Ruger #1 elk rifles are a #1B and #1S in .300 Win. mag. and although I have not taken elk with either rifle yet, it's been more a case of bad luck. If I had a bull tag, all I saw were cows. If I had a cow tag, then all I saw were bulls. Just plain old bad luck. :(
I would think the .257 Bee to be a bit light but I guess if the shot was placed right it would work. I personally would go with the .270 over the Bee but whatever works for you. Definitely use a nossler Partition, AccuBond or even possibly the Barnes TSX if your rifle likes them. They've been elkslayers in my .35 Whelen for sure. If I can get a good load with them in my .280 Rem. I just might take it on my next elk hunt. I'll be working with them and the 150 gr. Nosler Partitions in the not too distant future. Be doing some work with a 7x57 as well.
Paul B.

I am with the other's, your 300 H&H sounds like a perfect combo with some 180 or 200 grain Noslers! Take your 270 along for a back up rifle. No elk should slip through out to your 500 yard max range.

I agree that the 300 would be best. You can tell Guy :mrgreen: that I have load for the 270win 130gr. that has put down 1/2 dozen Elk with one shot & you can take that to the freezer :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

180gr Sierra Game King SBT, 180gr Ballistic, Partition, AccuBond at 2800fps at muzzle will do just fine, in fact all of these have been effective on elk out of a 30-06.

sask boy":1fxrlunr said:
I agree that the 300 would be best. You can tell Guy :mrgreen: that I have load for the 270win 130gr. that has put down 1/2 dozen Elk with one shot & you can take that to the freezer :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, how did you get 'em in the freezer while they were still kicking after being hit with that .270 anyway? :mrgreen:

I recently asked which rifle for sheep, you will get some great answers on this forum.
I can answer this one as I have killed a few elk. I have neve used anything smaller than a 30 cal, just my history, but I have used and made kills with 30-30, 30-06, 32 Win Sp, 300 Savage, 300 Weatherby 30-06, 308 and 45-70. The longest shot I have made successfuly on an elk was 400 yards, so try to get close.
The answer also is which animal, spikes, cows or a big bull? Size differnce between them is signifigant.
You have two great choices the 300 ruger and the 270, lots of elk are killed each year with the 270, just not my cup of tea, so I would go for the 300 in the Ruger, keep an extra bullet in your pocket and practice reloading.
Good luck.

Guy Miner":1vq6zg12 said:
sask boy":1vq6zg12 said:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, how did you get 'em in the freezer while they were still kicking after being hit with that .270 anyway? :mrgreen:

He shot them in the head, which stunned them, giving him time to slit their throat. :grin:

DrMike":3ddzfhz4 said:
hodgeman":3ddzfhz4 said:

Good advice, that. I use a 270 as my minimum, but smaller calibres will work, especially if you pick your shots and consider the potential for energy transfer. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with the 300 H&H after practising a quick follow-up until I was confident in my abilities to reload.

I agree with all above for the most part.
Personally, I'm in the .300 camp myself, with above mentioned practice on a single shot action. Of which I have used nothing but, for years,. Otherwise the good old .30-06 for that range is another alternative either imo. Can't wait for the new LRAB's,,, would only add to the capability.

300 H&H has my vote! And the 270 for a backup rifle. Truth be told I'd have no quams about using the 270 if or came down to it.

Back