Elk Hunting Caliber

So it took me a really long time to decide but I settled on the 28 Nosler for the elk hunt. I had some loads made using 168 gr Barnes LRX bullets with a 3150 fps MV. I am going to use a 400 yard maximum for my maximum ethical shot distance. I really like those Barnes bullets.

So it took me a really long time to decide but I settled on the 28 Nosler for the elk hunt. I had some loads made using 168 gr Barnes LRX bullets with a 3150 fps MV. I am going to use a 400 yard maximum for my maximum ethical shot distance. I really like those Barnes bullets.
Excellent choice. And 400 yards is a long shot, especially under hunting conditions.
Best of luck to you.

JD338

One of my partners bought a 28 Nosler a few years ago. A couple things happened; he retired, his overall success rate on Elk is damn near 80%, he’s had unbelievable luck with drawing tags-getting two or three a year with enough time between hunts he doesn’t have to scramble too bad. The elk I’ve seen him shoot, out to about 400 yards went right on their backs and by the time we got to them they were quartered up and somebody had gotten mules to them!
After a couple seasons with the 28 he took every other big game rifle he owned to the pawn shop, 28 is a hell of a good round and flat hammers elk.
Have a great hunt I’m looking forward to your report.

With some practice from field positions that 28 Nos should make hitting the vitals easy-peasy.
If, you can shoot a rifle under pressure, the 28 will deliver at that distance.
Picture Please!

With some practice from field positions that 28 Nos should make hitting the vitals easy-peasy.
If, you can shoot a rifle under pressure, the 28 will deliver at that distance.
Picture Please!
For sure. I have used a Mashburn for about 10 years now, but if wasn't so invested in dies and such, the 28 Nosler is the king of the 7's. Just easy to make speed and really launch the good stuff.

For sure. I have used a Mashburn for about 10 years now, but if wasn't so invested in dies and such, the 28 Nosler is the king of the 7's. Just easy to make speed and really launch the good stuff.
I would stay with the Mashburn, if I had one for the same reasons.
That is why I stay with my 7mm Dakota XP-100....I have everything for it already.

I couldn’t change now for sentimental reasons anyhow. Plus the rifle has been an amazing gun. Like a parcel of us, I have a bunch of stuff I could use but when it gets tough I always seem to have the Mashburn around. I guess I’m too chicken to leave it at home.

I couldn’t change now for sentimental reasons anyhow. Plus the rifle has been an amazing gun. Like a parcel of us, I have a bunch of stuff I could use but when it gets tough I always seem to have the Mashburn around. I guess I’m too chicken to leave it at home.
I switch around on handguns and specialty pistols a lot...I like the diversity!
BUT, if I am hard pressed to Strike/Hit something hard terminally, at whatever range, give me my 7 Dak XP-100.

And that is exactly why I stick with my 7MM STW. (And I bought it for rifle - LH Sako AV - not the chambering, as I was very happy with the 7mm Rem Mag performance - I sold it as it was RH Rem 700 LSS and I was trying to replace the rifle with the same model in LH and couldn't get one at the time)
It has performed reliably for me since 1998, is relatively light, very accurate and has accounted for about 3 dozen big game animals from antelope to elk, over the past 25 hunting seasons, and I have everything for it...except that it shoots the factory ammo so well (1" groups @ 300 yards), I really haven't tried many handloads in it yet, and I have a good supply of ammo for it...enough to last another 25 years of hunting, should I be lucky enough to live that long with good health enabling me to continue hunting!

Had a conversation with a friend recently as he is contemplating the 28 Nosler, and does not currently have a 7mm...has been hunting with an old Savage chambered to 30-06AI for years and is looking to buy a new rifle in a factory chambering. He mostly hunts mixed farmland/parkland where shots can be close to fairly long, although he doesn't shoot long distances, he wants the ability to stretch it out if needed, with a higher degree of comfort (like most of us).

If I didn't have a 7mm, today, I would seriously look at the 7mm PRC for the hunting I mostly do (mixed terrain from thick dark timber to open alpine) and shots generally restricted to less than 400 yards, with a well balanced rifle/cartridge combo with a 24" barrel for portability and handling regardless of environment.
Although, I admit that I would still be very happy with a 7mm Rem Mag...as rifles are still common in all makes/models and ammo is easy find almost everywhere. Accurate with manageable recoil. It has reliably been putting meat on the table for over 80 years when the hunter does their part. And the game I took with mine never knew the difference that they hadn't been shot by a faster 7mm (STW, RUM, or Nosler).

I would really like to try the Federal Terminal Ascent 155 gr ammo in the 7mm Rem Mag; I think it would be a great performer, as I have impressed with its performance in my other rifles so far, accuracy and/or on-game performance. 5 animals taken with the 130 gr in 6.5 CM (less than .3" @ 100 yards), and good accuracy in my 270 Win (less than .7" @ 100 yards). The accuracy is not as good in my 300 WSM so far (1.25" groups @ 100 yards, but still acceptable hunting accuracy, and that 200 gr bullet should be an awesome performer on game). Hope to get to range this weekend to try it in my 6.5 PRC and 308.

I switch around on handguns and specialty pistols a lot...I like the diversity!
BUT, if I am hard pressed to Strike/Hit something hard terminally, at whatever range, give me my 7 Dak XP-100.
The very reason I love my 338 RUM. I have a lot of history and confidence in it. With the exception of a handful of deer, everything has dropped in its tracks.

JD338

I know the other, very experienced hunters, and Uber consultants on here have more than likely said what I am about to say.
Shooting to 600 yds is an extremely long distance. No matter which caliber and rifle combo. Hunting in Wyoming is several variables in itself. The area you will be hunting dictates a lot of what kind of shots that can be made. I, personally, wouldn’t try anything past 450 yds, especially with one of the so called extra souped up magnums. Elk are a tough, and tenacious animal. The longer the shot, the more chance of something going wrong. In Wyoming, if you’re in the mountains during elk season, you’re going to be in cold weather. The wind has the ability to blow regularly at 30-50 mph. And will gust up to 65 mph or more. Wind drift is considerable. The wind chill factor is another. When you think you have the wind drift down, you’ll probably be shaking like a leaf because that wind will cut through any kind of clothing you have. Most elk I hunted weren’t out on the open plains. They were up on the mountains. Sometimes across on the other mountain from where I was hunting. Those cross canyon shots can be very dicey, even on a “calm” day. Then the wind variable comes into play. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with mountain hunting? Will you be hiking up? Going to be on horseback? If you’re going to be hiking, you’re going to be exerting a lot of energy, and breathing heavy because of the thin air. On top of being cold. Remember, this is all from a best case scenario. What if it snows, and you’re trekking through freezing snow? The snow may be knee deep. It could be very easily be waist deep. You’re not going to be getting far off the beaten path, if this happens. You might be taking a shot from horseback. The choice of one of those long range target calibers could be a problem, because you’re going to need to be prone, with bipods, and need to take time to dial in the fancy mildot or MOA scope. You won’t be doing so in knee to waist deep snow. If you’re in timber, 600 yd shots are very rare. Getting a 300 yd shot is pushing it. The long range target magnum is negated. Then you have to think about the stresses put on the bullets by shooting at closer ranges. Most bullets will break apart at the speeds those things shoot at normal ranges. Will it kill fast, oh yeah! Will you have a lot of blood shot meat?!? More than likely. I’m not being a pessimist here, just trying to be a realist and let you know from experience the kind of hunting I’ve done. Also, when I was younger, I was all about using magnum rifles, and the power they had. I’ve since learned in my aging, that I can still use my 300 Win Mag, but I don’t really need it. I’m quite content with my .270 Win, .308 Win, and my .30-06, for deer hunting and up. They all have more than enough energy out to 350 yds for elk. The .270 and .30-06 a little more than that. I would’ve stuck with the .300 Weatherby Mag, using a good 200 gr bullet. But if you wanted a new rifle and caliber, more power to you. Just learn both and what they can do or not do at close to long range. Remember, the final lesson here is shot placement. Anything less than in the heart lung area will result in even longer tracking. Or a wounded animal that may survive long enough to succumb to its injuries in the dead of winter.

I've only shot one elk at what I call really long range. Five hundred thity yards as measured by a laser range finder. The "park" was like a giant pool table wide open and little cover. I've always put in for cow tag as I'm basically a meat hunter abd the ceiling in my house is a bit too low to accommodate a large elk head.
I saw and made a stalk to the mentioned 530 yards and coud not get any closer. The elk were in somewhat single file line with a large bull leading the parade. I think that's the only time I've regretted not trying for a bull tag. That old boy was huge and had antlers so long that I think he'd have no trouble scratching an inch in his butt. Definitely would score high in the B&C record book.
I lined up for a shot on the ail end cow after lasering the range and took the shot. The ccow dropped on the spot, kicked a few times and expired. I put my tag on her and went back to my truck and get my wife to help with the gut job. As we headed back, we saw two dudes on ATVs, each with half my elk on their machines. At the gut pile was the tattered remains of my elk tag.
As hard as I tried to find an LEO or Game Warden to file a complaint, I guess they were spending the day at the donut shop or something. I took a very extreme dislike to those who use their ATVs in such a manner. It's probably been at least 20 years since that inccident and it still grpes my gut.
Paul B.i

Most everything Clodktower said.
Doping wind is more difficult than guestimating range to begin with. Across canyons or drainages the wind often blows up or down also.

Being able to reach out and shoot an elk is soemthing I practice, but I also want a rifle/scope/bullet that I can shoot offhand and quickly at hairburning range. Im the past 50+ years I've killed more elk at less than a 100 yds than beyond 200 yds. And the true test of a bullet is at 50 yd velocity rather than 500 yd velocities. The LRX is generally a good bulet regardless.

Re reading thru this has got me thinking also about Elk shot at what ranges. When I lived in western WA, 1 bull at 75 yds with 7mm RM and the rest were all muzzleloader kills , probably 5 or 6 cows and small raghorns. Been in ID since 2003 and been eating elk every year except 2 while building this house. Most were less then 100 yds. Just a few were over 200 and I can’t think of one over 300 yds. My hunting partners included. Mostly all in timber and brush where they live. I have hunted the Salmon River breaks and shots can get long there. Mine was 50 yds…

Most locals carry 264 - 30 cal and yes some magnums. Most “big” guns I see are from non-resident hunters. I’ve killed more elk in ID with a 270WSM/150PT than anything else. I’ve been carrying a 6.5x284 w/140PT for the last 6 years. They are not bullet proof. The right bullet in the right place always rings true.
But …. no room for error. Muzzleloader - heart or DOUBLE lung. One lung and you will probably not get that elk. A lot like archery. You have to wait for the right angle.

There’s a difference when you live in elk country and hunt right out your door. More relaxed about it and plenty of time. If I was traveling and/or paying for a hunt I would be carrying my Finnlight 300WSM w/ Swaro glass shooting 180PT. That is my “meat” gun.
I get the rational of a paid hunt that someone saves for probably a couple years and the time invested with maybe just one chance of a shot at a bull, have the proper training and tools for the job. If your going to do this, do it right.
BTW one of my last purchases was a 28N. My son has one and loves it. One elk and a handful of white tails. It flat out hammers them, elk included. I saw that kill and it had the rug jerked out from under him.

Re reading thru this has got me thinking also about Elk shot at what ranges. When I lived in western WA, 1 bull at 75 yds with 7mm RM and the rest were all muzzleloader kills , probably 5 or 6 cows and small raghorns. Been in ID since 2003 and been eating elk every year except 2 while building this house. Most were less then 100 yds. Just a few were over 200 and I can’t think of one over 300 yds. My hunting partners included. Mostly all in timber and brush where they live. I have hunted the Salmon River breaks and shots can get long there. Mine was 50 yds…
All of this. Knew a lot of Utah hunters that used .270 Win. I did the math once, and if I recall, I think the average shot from the stories they told was between 80 and 120 yards. So this levels.

The very reason I love my 338 RUM. I have a lot of history and confidence in it. With the exception of a handful of deer, everything has dropped in its tracks.

JD338
I couldn't agree more. My .338RUM has taken a number of Elk over the years the longest shot being 326 yards. In each case the Elk headed right to the ground and no tracking was needed. I've used both the 225 grain Partition and the Sierra 225 Grain Pro hunter and both bullets performed perfectly.

Back