Elk Hunting Caliber

CT.HNTR

Beginner
Feb 6, 2022
I am planning a Wyoming Elk hunt for 2026. I need to be prepared to take shots out to 600 yards. I am looking at a 7mm PRC and 28 Nosler. I would appreciate your thoughts on the best caliber and rifle choices.

Lots of variables to consider, the least of which would be which bullet you plan to shoot.
I have a 28 nosler but I prefer my .300 wm for elk and would encourage you to consider 400 yards a much smarter distance not to cross.
You are going to get a different answer from everyone you ask though

Either one would be a good choice as would a 7mm Rem Mag. A 30-06 or 300 xxx Mag would also work. A good bullet design is important for punching through bigger bones and getting into the vitals. Of your two choices, I would lean towards the 28 Nosler. It's a serious long range performer.
Optics are also important, especially when shooting out to 600 yards. Make sure you have range time and shoot from field positions.

JD338

I am planning a Wyoming Elk hunt for 2026. I need to be prepared to take shots out to 600 yards. I am looking at a 7mm PRC and 28 Nosler. I would appreciate your thoughts on the best caliber and rifle choices.
So, do I understand correctly that you do not own either? I have to ask if you already have a good elk rifle - or a rifle in a good elk caliber, I suppose would be the better way to ask. 2026 should be plenty of time to get spun up on a new rifle, but to me - just my opinion - if you have a suitable rifle already, maybe use what you already know in and out. Of course, then you wouldn't have an excuse to buy a new rifle, so...;)

Given the parameters you have set out, I'd be opting for a 300 RUM or something similar with well constructed bullets. Top end glass will be another consideration.
One of the rifles I use a lot for elk is a Sako 75 Hunter chambered for the 7mm STW and topped with a Sightron S-TAC 4x20x50 . I have taken many elk ,moose and deer with it but my farthest shot to date was on a White Tail buck at 402 yards.

Either would work well, the 7 PRC should have a bit less recoil since it is less powerful than the 28 Nosler. I would also consider the 7mm Rem Mag and 6.8 Western for what you are doing. No wrong choices, what rifles are you looking at? That might help you make up your mind.

I'll ask as well - do you have any elk-capable rifle at present?
And did the outfitter say 600 yards? Or have others who used him said this routinely?
Or where did the 600 yard suggestion come from?

I've taken one at 400-450, a couple at 200 and 300 each, my bull last year at 40 and my first elk years ago at 35.
The point of that is that shooting one at 600 is uncommon, and you'd best be practicing to that distance routinely - with wind - if you intend to shoot it.

Either caliber would work well, as would a 300 magnum (Win, Wby, RUM, etc).
Dad and I have used 7mm Wby routinely, but I've also used 340 Wby and more recently my 300 Wby.

My first question would not be about what rifle, caliber, cartridge or scope to be looking at for elk hunting in Wyoming...
I would be asking the outfitter why shots out to 600 yards are required?
A good outfitter will get you to within reasonable shooting distances (300 yards or less) where any reasonable rifle/scope/cartridge combination would cleanly kill that elk if you place the bullet accurately in the vitals. People are too hung up on long distance shooting, and with elk being large, with the densest bone of any animal in North America and having tenacity of life second only perhaps to an angry grizzly bear, this is not the animal you want to wound at long distance. You will either work harder than you have to for recovery, or lose the animal completely if you are not spot on with your shot placement.

While there is always a good reason for wanting a new rifle, if you have a good 270/280/30-06 on up to the 338 Win Mag rifle, that you are comfortable with, shoot well, and have complete confidence in, will work just fine. If I didn't already have a 270 WSM, 280 Rem, 7MM STW, 300 WSM or 338-06, I would lean towards the 7MM PRC as I see it being more popular, meaning that rifle and ammunition choices are going to get better in the future. But for now, choices are still limited. And the 7mm Rem Mag is never a bad choice. Just stay off that heavy shoulder bone!

While I took one elk at 475 yards in the wide open, I under estimated the range and thought he was within my self imposed distance of 400 yards, and I took the shot with my 7MM STW shooting factory 160gr SGK ammunition (this rifle consistently puts this load into 3" groups at this distance, and I have taken 3 dozen animals with it over the years). Other than a cow elk at 370 yards and another bull at 258, the remainder of my 20+ elk have been shot at 180 yards or less, including one at 5 yards, with rifles chambered from 6.5x55 to 376 Steyr.

Not to shade your outfitter, but helped a friend get ready for a hunt “out to 400”.
Guide on first day of the hunt, told him to take the shot at 850. He did. Missed 11x. Completely messed up this head. He held over 44”. He called me that night and I ran the dope for 850. He needed 120”’of hold over…..he was shooting a 30-378 Wby…
So no slouch. 600 is a long shot if you’re only practiced out to 400. Next day, he heard a pair of bulls fighting .. ran up the hill and had to make an 80 yard shot… while breathing hard from racing up the hill. Dropped it first shot. Would advise you make sure the guide doesn’t steer you across property where you can be considered a trespasser. Some states are very unfriendly about it. To your original question I bought my 300 WM specifically for out west hunts. Put a very nice Steiner GS3 on it. I’d probably pick the PRC. You didn’t mention other magnums in your arsenal…as others mentioned… bullet choice is important. I’d probably go with the AccuBond, I know my 300 WM shots the AB lights out. I haven’t tried the ABLR or Barnes LR yet…good luck!
Do you plan to load your own or buy ammo? If you plan to load, start with Norma or Laupa brass. You’ll need consistent at 600.

Ct this group is always conservative yet none would talk you out of a new rifle. I’ve hunted elk for 56 years and have been very fortunate. I’ve seen quite a few killed with the 7mag and of the 30 I guided too I’ve seen elk killed with 2506 and up. I’ve killed one at 501 yards, a couple; perhaps 4 right at 400; a number between 200 and 300; of those 45 or so elk I’ve killed the rest ranged from about 7 feet to 100 plus yards. None of the 30 hunts I guided shot over 300 yards. While our numbers have shrunk, over 56 years I hunted pretty much with the same 4 or 5 guys. We killed a lot of elk together, only one other out to 500. The vast majority have been well within 300. Good luck but don’t loose sleep over the 600 yard thing.
I’ve killed elk with an 06, 300’s a 375 and even a 577 nitro. I prefer the fast 338s. I watched my mom kill two with a 257 Roberts. Getting closer is always better.

600 yards is a really long shot. Do you routinely shoot to 600 yards? Like often, at a rifle range, with your hunting rifles? That's one heck of a long shot. Yes, others have taken elk at much longer distances. But honestly, taking strong game like elk at 600 is not normal. It's quite unusual. Why 600?

I have found the 7 PRC with good bullets quite capable of excellent long range performance. As are many other cartridges.

Dang... 600? I'm rated as an NRA High Master long range competitor... But I've never taken a shot at game out that far. Targets yes. Game animals no. But that's just me. Please get good at shooting, even in the wind, at 600 before you attempt that shot in the field.

Regards, Guy

I've used a 6.5x47L, 6.5-300wm, 7-300wm, 7STW, 300wsm, 300wm, 30-8mm Mag, 308 Baer, 338 Baer, 358STA, 375-358STA, and 416 Rem Mag on elk. I've also killed a bunch with muzzleloaders in .50 and .54 caliber. I personally like .300 magnums. The 338's and larger calibers require heavier rifles to shoot accurately IMO. As with motors the larger the displacement the better. My go to is a long throated 300WSM shooting Berger 215's at 2910-2960 depending on which one I shoot, I have several of them. My newest one weighs just over 8lbs ready to go with a VX6 3x18. The furthest I've ever shot one was 1080yds with a 300wm. My buddy really wanted to kill a elk over 1000yds, needless to say he missed and I killed mine. I personally would of tried to get much closer. We ended up running into the same group and said fried shot his at about 200yds. I've shot several in the 5-700yd range but the vast majority were under 400yds. The only rifle shot elk I ever lost was a shot at 875yds. Just as I was pulling the trigger it took a step up hill a bit and I center punched the hind leg, breaking the femur. I chased that bull all day long and jumped him 3 times but never got a follow up shot. I was blown away that he didn't bleed out. I found part of the femur bone and he bled a good amount but he got below snow line and everything was melting which made tracking nearly impossible. The shot was about 8am and my buddy and I didn't get back to camp until midnight. The vast majority of people I've been around while shooting long range have shot exponentially worse past 400yds.

600 yards is a really long shot. Do you routinely shoot to 600 yards? Like often, at a rifle range, with your hunting rifles? That's one heck of a long shot. Yes, others have taken elk at much longer distances. But honestly, taking strong game like elk at 600 is not normal. It's quite unusual. Why 600?

I have found the 7 PRC with good bullets quite capable of excellent long range performance. As are many other cartridges.

Dang... 600? I'm rated as an NRA High Master long range competitor... But I've never taken a shot at game out that far. Targets yes. Game animals no. But that's just me. Please get good at shooting, even in the wind, at 600 before you attempt that shot in the field.

Regards, Guy
So I am glad I asked the question as 600 yards seems like a very long shot to me also. I called and spoke with three outfitters who seem very reputable and all three told me I need to be prepared to take shots out to 600 yards (yikes). I told them I was comfortable taking shots out to a max of 400 yards and they indicated it would be better if I practiced out to 600 yards which to be honest, I am not comfortable with. I currently have a Mark V Bee in 300 WBY and thought that would be great for this hunt shooting 180 grain pills but when the outfitters told be 600 yards, I started thinking I needed something different.

There is a growing trend to go long. Frankly I don’t understand it. Being able to successfully shoot elk at that distance will increase opportunities and make life easier perhaps but for goodness we really haven’t had range finders for all that long. Prior to that 400 yards was a very long poke indeed and unwitnessed was largely considered bull poop. ( probably a whole lot of guys here who have had laser range finders their entire hunting career. I still recall one of the first range finders I saw when I was assigned to a secret service counter sniper team and was sworn to secrecy.) Practicing to 600, sure if you can, wont hurt a bit. I would let your outfitter know that you are good to 4 and expect him to get you there. I had several of my client insist they could shoot to 6 or 800 and I wouldn’t let them shoot until we had closed to 3 or 325. All said that was the best part of the hunt, getting closer.
I hope you have a great hunt, your head is in the right place. Of all the elk hunts I’ve done, conditioning made more difference than shooting.
Also a big fan of the Accubonds. Ive killed elk from 30 yards to 501 with them. Your 300 and 180s will do the job just fine.

So I am glad I asked the question as 600 yards seems like a very long shot to me also. I called and spoke with three outfitters who seem very reputable and all three told me I need to be prepared to take shots out to 600 yards (yikes). I told them I was comfortable taking shots out to a max of 400 yards and they indicated it would be better if I practiced out to 600 yards which to be honest, I am not comfortable with. I currently have a Mark V Bee in 300 WBY and thought that would be great for this hunt shooting 180 grain pills but when the outfitters told be 600 yards, I started thinking I needed something different.
I use the 180 Hammer Hunter in my 300 Wby, and 180 Barnes TTSX in Dad's and the one I loan my son.
All 3 rifles/both bullets do very well on elk.
In the last 2 years our elk have been 40, 285, 325, 230 and 85 yards for the 3 rifles. The 40 and the 85 yards were both offhand.
If you can routinely hit steel at 400, you'll be fine.

Great info from these guys. Our group and myself have taken elk out to just under 700. Just my opinion, and you listed some great cartridges that are capable of extended range elk hunting with the correct bullet. I am a big fan of 7mm's myself, but everything from 270 to the 338's and even the 35 Whelen has worked great. If I was in your shoes, being practiced to 500 yards would be paramount to me, as I know an elk hunt costs alot of money, so if the conditions were right and I was given a viable opportunity at 500, I'd like to be able to take that shot with confidence. Todays rifles, optics and bullets really make 500 pretty easy with some gun time and component selection.

Are you a handloader or factory ammo shooter? I'd pick a rifle you want (I won't ever talk a fellow shooter out of a new rifle), look over what they chamber it in and see if either A. Ammo is available that is elk worthy or B. Components are readily available for you to work up loads.

Great topic. Lotsa folks on this thread with a pile of hunting experience and quite alot of elk experience.

I use the 180 Hammer Hunter in my 300 Wby, and 180 Barnes TTSX in Dad's and the one I loan my son.
All 3 rifles/both bullets do very well on elk.
In the last 2 years our elk have been 40, 285, 325, 230 and 85 yards for the 3 rifles. The 40 and the 85 yards were both offhand.
If you can routinely hit steel at 400, you'll be fine.
If you already have a 300 Wby, you have darned near have the king of the elk mountain to much farther than 600 yards. I'd look at your optics and refine your bullet selection and man, you'll hammer any elk walking.

WOW, a wealth of knowledge and experience on elk hunting here! I've only hunted elk once, shot a 5 pt bull with my 338 RUM at 350 yards. DRT with a 210 gr PT through both shoulders.
Your 300 Bee with a 180 gr AB is perfect. What glass do you have?

JD338

Back