Which would you buy?

critterskinner

Beginner
Sep 21, 2009
I am looking to buy a new seater die for .22-250. I am torn betwenn the RCBS Gold Medal Match and the Redding Competition. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions for others? All advice is appreciated.

Between those two I'd do Redding for sure, but the Forster is exactly the same design as the Redding and less expensive.

Forster or Redding here. Really like the Redding stuff I have started to acquire. Scotty

I have nothing bad to say about the RCBS Gold Medal; it serves me well. Redding is definitely first class. I tend toward Forster, however.

I use Redding most for dies, but may have to look at the Forster's as well due to the recommendations stated here.

I think they all would be good. I have used RCBS for years without a hitch, Redding and Foster are both considered top of the line.

What kind of rifle are you loading for? If it is custom, the higher end dies would make sense. If it is a production rifle, I am note sure the investment in higher end dies would make much difference.

JD338

JD338":2m0o8oxa said:
I think they all would be good. I have used RCBS for years without a hitch, Redding and Foster are both considered top of the line.

What kind of rifle are you loading for? If it is custom, the higher end dies would make sense. If it is a production rifle, I am note sure the investment in higher end dies would make much difference.

JD338

I load mostly for production rifles. I just thought it sure would be faster and easier to make changes to OAL when working up new loads on rifles.

I have both the Redding competition seater (for hunting bullets) and the Forster competition seater (for other bullets).

I prefer the Redding, but the Forster does quite well. There is certainly no accuracy difference between the two, but the Forster sometimes has a "pop" when the case is all the way up in the die. Sounds like a spring unloading, but when I take the die apart I can't tell anything is wrong.

Before someone from Forster reads this, I believe if I knew what to do I could remove whatever is causing the spring to unload. But I've never really tried that hard because the seating is consistent in depth and straightness, pop or no.

I have an RCBS micrometer seater... I don't remember the name of it, but it is about 15 years old. It work really well, but just for the price difference alone, I would (and have) gone with Forster.

Back