Which Z3

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I need a scope for my new winchester 70 classic 7 rem mag. I have a z3 3x10x42 on my featherweight .270 and it is one of the best scopes I have ever had.

The question should I go with another z3 3x10x42 or step up to the z3 4x12x50?? I have never had a scope over 10 power and not sure that I am missing anything.

A ten power scope allows ample sight picture for me on most of my scopes. If you are into long range shooting, then more scope may be in order.

I have the 4-12x50 Swarovski model scope. Mine is mounted on a custom stocked Transition Model 70 (1949), .270 Winchester which I have owned since 1973. The scope is a more recent addition to the rifle. I like the scope and use TDS Picatinny medium Tactical rings which are between the medium and high rings for say, Leupold style rings and mounts. This allows me to get the scope down as close close to the barrel as is possible with 50mm objective lens. This scope is very bright and capable and I get a good cheek weld with the 50mm scope bell.

I agree with DrMike that for most hunting rifles, a 3.5-10x42mm maximum power scope is sufficiently powerful probably over 90% of the time. If I were to buy this scope over, I would have bought the 3.5-10x42 mm version in preference to the 50mm objective. My Model 70 with this Swarovski scope is a very accurate and dedicated rifle with excellent optics. That is the most important part of this story.

Back