White Hots & Black Horn 209

TScottW99

Handloader
Sep 14, 2007
Made a quick trip to the range on Monday to get the new muzzle loader on paper. I tried two new powders (to me) Black Horn 209 and the White hots. The muzzle loader was a T/C Triumph Bone Collector. Three primers were tried, Winchester 209, Winchester 777 and CCI 209M.

First out the gate was the Winchester 209. This primer is a regular in my old muzzleloader. However it will not fit the brand new Triumph. The action would not close with this primer

Next was the CCI 209M primer with two pellets of White Hots and a Barnes Tipped EZ 250 grain bullet. The crud ring was so bad with this load that I had to remove the breech plug after each shot to clean. Groups were at 1".

The next load was the Winchester 777 primer, two White Hot pellets and the same Barnes bullet. My groups moved to 3/4" at 100 yards but the crud ring was still to big and hard to spit patch. I had to removed the breech plug to clean the barrel.

The last load tried was 120 grains of Black Horn 209, CCI 209M primer and the same bullet. This load shot 8" higher then the white hot loads and grouped 1" at 100 yards. The barrel stayed very clean.

I plan on going back when time allows to tuned in the Blackhorn load. So far I am very happy, though I am disapointed with the White Hots. I have heard no reports of crud rings with this powder. Might just not like my gun.

I believe Blackhorn is the best powder out there, I used it last fall & will again this fall hopefully.

Back