Whitetail... take the shot

Kneel with the heavy 264WM and send a 143gr ELD-X at 3240 right at that shoulder so if it exits it will be at the back of the off-side lungs. Anything but broadside I hold more for the exit than entry. I'd have the elbow locked inside my knee to prevent joints rolling on each other. I practice shooting the rolling/bouncing ball targets from this position regularly for my coyote hunting. I've got 2 maybe 3 whitetail better than him on the wall, I can keep the nerves at bay long enough to make this shot before the adrenaline dump. Then it's time for celebration, pictures, and to haul him somewhere warm for further processing!

I'd take the shot in a heart beat. My custom 700 chambered in 280 AI topped off with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm zeroed at 200 yards with the 150 gr ABLR at 3100 fps. I would hold right on the shoulder and send it.

JD338

Rifle wouldn't matter, all of mine are zeroed at 250.
Since I started using a Turner saddlery 1907 sling that's gonna be on the rifle.
I'd try to drop to one knee and get my left arm wrapped through the sling, get my left elbow on my knee.
I'm holding dead center on the left shoulder blade.

Quote:
chances are it'd be a 270 Win

OMG, with all the real guns you have???
I would be carrying my trusty 300 WM, 180 gr PT, or its 7 MM clone, with a 160 AB, rodell called my shot for me.

Classic. Real guns. :lol: :lol:

300 win mag 190 lrab right where his hair pn the neck wiggles and its lights out free ride in the truck and a taxidermist bill

I'd take it, but I would at least take a knee. If I had the time to practice "off hand to 200" pre season ( Like I did when I was younger) I'd do it on my hind legs, ha. If I could do it w/o spooking him, I'd rather sit in a hasty sling. Since it had been a snow storm, prone is likely out. 7x57 with 120TTSX at 3100 OR Nosler 168 ABLR at 2730fps OR sierra 160 SBTHP at 2900! :)

Back