WHITETAILS AND THE ACCUBOND ?

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
What kind of terminal performance with the .30 cal . 150 gr. AccuBond ?

Is there a difference in mushroom diameter with water jug tests opposed to on game performance ?
What is the largest diameter have any of you measured from game ? Thanks !

Ray, dead is dead. Terminal bullet diameter is of less importance than disruption of major organ systems. Hydrostatic shock is what kills. The diameter of the spent bullet will be approximately identical whether from wet newsprint, fluid filled milk jugs or animals.

Depends on impact speed....

So far after shooting a pile of caribou with ABs in the .300WSM the number of bullets recovered is "0". Everything had an exit and a gaping hole. Ranges of 80' to 350yds.

I doubt very much a white tail could stop one if you were in the same zip code.

I fired a 7mm08 AB 140 gr. From my son's youth rifle into a 3 " tree branch with a plywood board behind it @ 100 yards that caught the round , it was a very narrow mushroom.
I thought maybe it was the type of material and that flesh and bone would render different results.

I'm 42 yrs old and I just started deer hunting .
My two sons and I have 5 whitetails since 2012 from 308 , 243 , 270 and 3006, nothing yet with the 7mm08.

I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and knowledge on the subject .

Ray I have been using Accubonds for a number of years & they are on top of the heap in my books. I have shot the 130gr. Out of my 270win with great results they shoot .5 moa & I have shot Moose, Elk & Whitetail all with the same load :wink:.
Saskatchewan Whitetail are world class in size & I have never lost one using Accubonds.

Blessings,
Dan

I've used a 140 AB at 2650 fps out of a 6.5x55 to down a red stag, a fallow deer, and several big sheep. Oh, yeah, and a few whitetails. They work great for me.

RAY":3lp8abce said:
I fired a 7mm08 AB 140 gr. From my son's youth rifle into a 3 " tree branch with a plywood board behind it @ 100 yards that caught the round , it was a very narrow mushroom.
I thought maybe it was the type of material and that flesh and bone would render different results. .

Got it- you are right to think bullets expand differently in different mediums. Wet newspaper does pretty well to mimic results in muscle tissue but critters aren't so uniform.

The AB is among the best hunting bullet I've encountered... the right balance of rapid expansion and the bonding keeps it together better.

My son also has a 7-08 youth rifle with a 20" barrel and I'm actually considering moving to a 140gr AB or BT since we hunt open country exclusively. The AB is my odds on favorite and I'm using them exclusively in my .300WSM with great results.

Congrats on all the deer! I think you can expect results pretty typical of the .270 with the 7-08....just a great round.

I reload the 150 NAB in a couple .30-06s. Members in my hunting party have taken 3 mulie bucks, from 158 to 275 yards. We haven't caught one yet.

P

Only shot one animal with an AB. My elk this year with 165 gr. AB from a 30-06. Bullet did not exit but we never found it. The elk went maybe 20 feet tops and expired.
Paul B.

Ray,

Welcome to the joys of deer hunting sir!

I have used a few different cartridge/bullet combos for deer and found them pretty darned easy to kill provided I put my projectile of choice in the right spot.

I've used both standard & premium bullets, and while I lean toward standard bullets like the ballistic tip for deer a 150 AB can't be a bad choice provided you do your part. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

In my 7-08 I love the 120 ballistic tip which is tough and kills deer-sized game beautifully. Of course I have no doubt that the same could be said of the 130 Hot Cor, 139 Interelock, 140 BT or AB, or sundry others.

Find what your rifle likes, practice, and kill stuff.

Repeat. (y)

With a fed. soft point , I took a buck at short range in the shoulder in 2013 , jacket and core separated , even though he didn't run far , there was barely an exit
and no blood trail.
I like the mid shoulder shot , disruption of it all in one step .
I have seen the NBTs in action and it's impressive !

I used a bonded bullet this past season at short range and I was happy , DRT and plenty of blood.

Good deal fellas', my son's 7mm08 shoots sub moa with NBT 120 gr. and NAB 140 gr. factory ammo.

I bought a box of NAB 165 gr. for my 3006 to shoot to see how they would group, but when I was checking the head stamps I found one that was stamped 25-06, I measured it and it was a 3006 cartridge, but it wasn't a compressed load like the rest of them.

Nosler picked them up by UPS to send me some new ones , but that has been about 3 weeks now.

I do have some by Federal vital shok
BTs, but I haven't shot them either.

Thanks for the replies !

sask boy":3ha236tj said:
Ray you will never go wrong using a AccuBond. They are that good :mrgreen:!!
Blessings, Dan

Agreed. A 110gn AB from my .25-06 certainly stopped a 14 point rutting red stag for me last October. Good entry & exit. ATB ET

7mm08 and 140 AB's are a match made in heaven IMO, just like the 7mmRemMag and 160 AB's.

]
VM_zpsd76bdac9.jpg
[/url]url]

ElmerThud":3otzzx4a said:
sask boy":3otzzx4a said:
Ray you will never go wrong using a AccuBond. They are that good :mrgreen:!!
Blessings, Dan

Agreed. A 110gn AB from my .25-06 certainly stopped a 14 point rutting red stag for me last October. Good entry & exit. ATB ET

Very nice ! Where was the POI and exit size ? How many yards ?

Jgraider":2vkg1fjw said:
7mm08 and 140 AB's are a match made in heaven IMO, just like the 7mmRemMag and 160 AB's.

]
VM_zpsd76bdac9.jpg
[/url]url]

That's great ! Thanks for sharing !
Yeah , we haven't taken a deer yet with my son's 7mm08 youth .

Back