Who has an Elk Rifle, but has never used it for Elk??

Do you have an "elk rifle" that has never been used on elk?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Do any of you have an "elk rifle" that has never been used for elk?? Either for lack of time, not being drawn for a tag, or bad luck?? Just curious. CC

Let's hear about it...... what is it, and how long have you been waiting to use it. Mine is a 30-378 I've had for a year, no Elk yet. :(

I wanted to harvest a cow elk w/my 300RUM (200AB) this year. Unfortunatley the elk wern't following the game plan. Actually I have two other rifles that can be used on elk, 270WSM (160PTs) and a 338WM (225AB). These two have harvested elk. Oh well, maybe next year the 300RUM will get its chance.

I'm leaving tonight to go elk hunting or I should say my Wife & Dad have cow tags. My .300RUM has not had a chance yet, ( 2yrs and nothing )and I'm trying very hard to get one of them to use it. ( Wife REFUSES to pull the trigger on it ) She was the one however that said were hunting T-givng day !!!

Richracer1":3049m0sn said:
I wanted to harvest a cow elk w/my 300RUM (200AB) this year. Unfortunatley the elk wern't following the game plan. Actually I have two other rifles that can be used on elk, 270WSM (160PTs) and a 338WM (225AB). These two have harvested elk. Oh well, maybe next year the 300RUM will get its chance.

Well....no. But I have a deer rifle that I've only used on elk.... :grin:

Casey

.338-06 and .35 Whelen, I really want to get an elk with either or both of these rifles. 3rd year I've had the .338 and 2nd on the .35, just bad luck drawing an no shots on legal elk in the last few years.

It's pretty funny - I've hunted elk a few times and killed one nice bull, but I always want to have at least one "elk rifle" on hand for some reason or another. These days I have two, a .45-70 Marlin and a .300 WSM Model 70. Fortunately neither are too terribly big and bad to use on mule deer. Mostly I hunt mule deer along with coyotes and varmints. I really don't need an elk rifle.

Good question though - likely a lot of hunters with an elk rifle, who seldom shoot elk.

Have an 1895GS that I have yet to hunt the "dark timber" with. Also, there is a 9.3x62mm CZ 550 FS that I got just in case my same rifle in 6.5x55mm doesn't work as well as I think it will on elk. Oh ya, and there is my BFR .475Linebaugh that I also got for handgunning elk. Did I mention, that I really only bowhunt elk? :roll:

Jim

I have a M700 280AI that would be just about perfect for elk hunting.
I also have a M700 LSS in 338 RUM that did kill a 5 pt bull.

JD338

I've bought/traded/sold "upteen" Magnums that never got a shot at an Elk... When I finally get to go again it will be with my .280 w/160gr Accubonds or Partitions. 8)

I dream of going back to Montana. Don't think it will be any time soon though. Pay is double here what it is there.

POP":15yvirdi said:
Nope...all my toys get used.

My 300RUM may not have taken an elk this, as hoped for, but it has been used to harvest a 172lb CA hog.

I don't (typically) use my 338WM or 300RUM here in CA as the deer and hogs my 270WSM. Plus, with the lead ban going into effect in the near future, I'm not going to work up loads for all of my rifles, just what I need for hunting on Vandenberg AFB.

I bought my 300 win. mag. specifically for elk and am glad to say it has been used just for that on a number of occasions.

Back