Who here has competed with firearms?

Oh, I know....I was just trying to do a little enabling 😇
Ah, fused neck. Can't shoot from prone.

If I go prone now, all I stare at is the ground! LOL!

The penalty for a couple of pretty physically rough careers.

Guy

I’m sorry to hear that. There is a number of BR disciplines out there for those who enjoy it as well

Archery
I competed indoors and outdoors from age 4 till I started college. I added 3-D as a teenager, I competed in what I am pretty sure was the first 3-D shoot in WY. It was in Sundance, WY and it was BYOT(Bring your own target) this shoot happened before there were any commercially available 3-D targets.

Firearms
I did a few blackpowder shoots as a teenager. The past 2 summers I have competed in the Handgun Hunters Competition. It is similar to 3-D archery in that all of the shooting is done in field positions, the targets are steel mostly round, square and rectangular with some animal silhouettes.

Archery
I competed indoors and outdoors from age 4 till I started college. I added 3-D as a teenager, I competed in what I am pretty sure was the first 3-D shoot in WY. It was in Sundance, WY and it was BYOT(Bring your own target) this shoot happened before there were any commercially available 3-D targets.

Firearms
I did a few blackpowder shoots as a teenager. The past 2 summers I have competed in the Handgun Hunters Competition. It is similar to 3-D archery in that all of the shooting is done in field positions, the targets are steel mostly round, square and rectangular with some animal silhouettes.
Very neat!

All of my centerfire match shooting has been rather informal stuff, country kids with hunting rifles sort of stuff. “I bet you can’t hit ____ on your first shot at whatever unknown distance.”

We used to shoot a 100 yard match where everybody put $1 in a coffee can. Then with heavy barrel .223’s or .22-250’s everyone fired a single round from a bench rest at the same target at 100 yards. Whoever was closest to dead center on that target won the pot. We would keep at it until we ran out of singles.

Have gotten to shoot cowboy action courses though not in competition.

I do shoot Indoor rimfire 50 ft rifle match as well as Indoor rimfire handgun, the latter being merely two five shot groups fired offhand at 15 feet, for best group score (one set fired with two hands, the other with one).

I shoot outdoor rimfire silhouette match as well. 10 steel silhouettes each at 40, 60, 75 and 100 yards. All fired offhand.

I have shot clays for a turkey shoot. Best of ten birds shooting head to head elimination. I’m no master shotgunner but I’ve won more of those than I have lost.

I think the long-range rimfire stuff looks very fun. Love to watch cowboy action or anything blackpowder or BPCR.

I think even informal competitions with our guns are a fun way to hone our craft as shooters. I wish there were more .22 match opportunities for teens, something they could take a stock, iron sights Walmart gun to and have fun with learning to shoot better. Heck that would be useful even for adults!

I shot competition pistol as a member of the Wisconsin National Guard pistol team and later individual and team ATA registered Trap. I still enjoy punching paper and shooting Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays but nolonger compete.

When I was younger (a lot younger) I shot trap and got to a point where I was taking 23 out of 25. Then kids came along and the Trap shooting went on the back burner. Shot .45 matches while serving in the Navy. (lot's of fun) When I retired from the PD and moved to Florida I joined a local club and Shot Scheutzen matches with my 45-70 Pedersoli Sharps. After that and within the last three years I took an interest in IDPA shooting and started with my .45 SIG. Switched to a 9MM (a lot easier on the wrist after 150 rounds) and I'm still enjoying it.

Back