Who loads 80 gr Nosler Custom Competition bullets .223 Rem?

pharmseller

Handloader
Feb 13, 2012
I bought a bunch of the above to try in a 1-8" twist bolt .223 for LR shooting. Anyone try these?

I'm planning on TAC or Varget, looking for 2700 fps MV, Tikka T3, 22 7/16" barrel.

P

I did not chrono but had a Ruger 1/8 and loaded Varget and RL15. Both shot well. I used WSR primers as well. Good luck.

I'm finally loading a few rounds to test for velocity and pressure.

The guy at Nosler told me to use the 5.56 NATO data, since .223 Rem didn't include the bigger bullets. DISCLAIMER: the book (#7) states "The data listed in this section is safe for use in both .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm cartridges and chambers."

Nosler lists 23.5 gr TAC and 24.0 gr Varget as max, with identical MV of 2658 fps from a 20" barrel. Add 50 fps or so for the difference in barrel length puts me a hair over 2700.

Ramshot lists 24.3 gr of TAC as max with the 80 gr Sierra HPBT, 2749 fps, 24" barrel. Subtract 30 fps puts me close to Nosler's estimate of 2700, at .8 gr less. Ballpark, anyway.

Ramshot's TAC numbers for 5.56x45mm go up to 25.8 gr for 2903 fps, 1-7", 24" barrel. That's more velocity and pressure than I'm looking for.

Hodgdon lists 25.0 gr Varget as max, but that's compressed. 24" barrel, 2869 fps. That's around 2835 fps from my barrel.

I think I'll work up to 24.5 gr Varget and 24.5 gr TAC as max. Now all I need is a scope.

P

I've been using the following load for long line high power for 2 years now. 600 yards, occasionally I'll break it out on a windy day at 300m when we shoot the reduced course.

24 gr R15, HSM brass, Fed SR match primer, 80gr CC. Don't know the COL offhand, I think I used the one from the Nosler data. I'm running this through a RRA NM 1:8 20" barrel. There is considerable anecdotal evidence of Winchester primers failing with heavy bullet loads in the AR 15 over at the CMP forums. I would avoid those based on those reports. I use the aforementioned Fed primers and SB primers for my mag length loads and have never had an issue.

Don't know the velocity, but it punches x's when I call the right wind and break a good shot.

Realistically, when you're getting out there, stability of the bullet and your BC are much more important than a small difference in muzzle velocity. Varget, R15 and VN140 are what you'll see on the 600 yard line at most any HP match with 80gr bullets. Typically 24 or 24.5 grains. Some run them a tad hotter, they scare me a bit. Usually either SMK or Berger. I'm the outlier shooting the Nosler, but I seem to shoot just as well with them.

I put her together today, full on Pharmseller treatment, including a metal bolt shroud. I wanted a Leupold FX3 12x40 AO like I have on Blue Lightning but I couldn't find one in my price range. I put a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 CDS on her instead, in my last set of milled Talleys. I think she looks pretty good.

IMG_0158_zpsi5g9qgik.jpg

The goal is sub-.75 MOA with the 80 grain Custom Competition, I'd be very happy with .5. I'm also trying the established loads using a 50 grain Ballistic Tip or 50 grain TTSX.

I'll post pics if they're worthy. If she shoots I'll flute the bolt and paint the stock.

P

pharmseller":32d823ri said:

Assume that is at 100 yards. Assume you're shooting from some sort of cradle rest. You may have your load right there. Try it on a less windy day to confirm before you tweak anything. I'm guessing your horizontal dispersion may be either parallax or trigger control. The douple cluster on the lower group lends credence to this. Check for or adjust, then check for parallax. I've found this often with cradle rests, you force your eye into a different position than you normally shoot, and it is somewhat inconsistent. Your vertical dispersion is in the ballpark of the best I've been able to wring out of my match gun. You're also near AR mag length on your COL. Away from my notes, but I believe mine are significantly longer. Is your throat cut to .223 specs? You might consider .223 wylde. Use caution running them out any longer if .223.

Polaris":3db6mfun said:
pharmseller":3db6mfun said:

Assume that is at 100 yards. Assume you're shooting from some sort of cradle rest. You may have your load right there. Try it on a less windy day to confirm before you tweak anything. I'm guessing your horizontal dispersion may be either parallax or trigger control. The douple cluster on the lower group lends credence to this. Check for or adjust, then check for parallax. I've found this often with cradle rests, you force your eye into a different position than you normally shoot, and it is somewhat inconsistent. Your vertical dispersion is in the ballpark of the best I've been able to wring out of my match gun. You're also near AR mag length on your COL. Away from my notes, but I believe mine are significantly longer. Is your throat cut to .223 specs? You might consider .223 wylde. Use caution running them out any longer if .223.

Yep, 100 yards, cradle front rest. Vanilla .223 of the 1-8" stainless Tikka bolt variety. I need to measure the chamber to see if the bullet is into the lands. I'm saving my pennies for an FX3 12x with AO and target turrets.

P

Back