Why I Lean Toward Weatherby Rifles

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
I own or have owned the following make of bolt action rifles and more than one in the following makes. Remington, Ruger, Savage, Interarms Mauser, Winchester, Sako, Tikka, Browning, Marlin, Howa, and Weahterby (Vanguard and Mark V). The reason that I lean in favor of the Weahterby Mark V has to do with how it is made, looks and feel.

The Mark V action is made in the following way. The nine lugs are machined on a lathe. Those lugs are cut one row (3 lugs) at a time. Same with the lug seat in the receiver. They are done on a broach one row at a time. There is no way to get some of the lugs in one row or one lug in each row or whatever to NOT make contact. It is a all or nothing type of deal.

The shear area of the Mark V is similar to two lug actions like M70 and Rem 700. I think it is slightly smaller than the Rem 700.

However, bearing area is much larger. If all nine lugs are not touching they will be touching with a huge over load. Of course the same applies to two lug actions.

To illustrate the issue of bearing area consider a two lug action like a Rem 700. Now imagine a slot equal to half the the length of the locking lug is machined out from the middle of each lug. That would make the Rem 700 a 4 lug action and in the process would double the bearing area but reduce the shear area.

The amount of shear area has it limits for two reasons. Firstly, no matter how long the locking lug is the locking recesses will set limits. Secondly, even if the lugs were a foot long they would still compress and set back at the point where the lug bears.

If you look at the breech of artillery and naval guns you will see that the lock up system is an interrupted thread and an interrupted thread is what a Mark V uses.

So speaking of bearing area the 9 lug system - the bottom line is that there is more bearing area because there IS more bearing area...

There is no comparison the Mark V is a stronger and better action period.

Now just for a little extra - You need to multiply the base area of the lug where it is machined out of the bolt. This will give sheer area. If you find out the area you will find why the military uses this breach system instead of a 2 or 3 lug system. I dare any one to put any rifle or make through the same tests Roy Weatherby did while developing the Mark V. This is true testimony to the shear strength of it. If any one isn't aware of how he tested it, here it is. He jammed a bullet up in the barrel (several times of varying weights) then loaded a live round behind it and sent it down range. Did you get that, he sent the bullet and bullets down range. The Mark V took it and did not give.

But more than anything it is like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, I just like to shoot and hunt with a Mark V.

bullet":xmag5d51 said:
I own or have owned the following make of bolt action rifles and more than one in the following makes. Remington, Ruger, Savage, Interarms Mauser, Winchester, Sako, Tikka, Browning, Marlin, Howa, and Weahterby (Vanguard and Mark V). The reason that I lean in favor of the Weahterby Mark V has to do with how it is made, looks and feel.

The Mark V action is made in the following way. The nine lugs are machined on a lathe. Those lugs are cut one row (3 lugs) at a time. Same with the lug seat in the receiver. They are done on a broach one row at a time. There is no way to get some of the lugs in one row or one lug in each row or whatever to NOT make contact. It is a all or nothing type of deal.

The shear area of the Mark V is similar to two lug actions like M70 and Rem 700. I think it is slightly smaller than the Rem 700.

However, bearing area is much larger. If all nine lugs are not touching they will be touching with a huge over load. Of course the same applies to two lug actions.

To illustrate the issue of bearing area consider a two lug action like a Rem 700. Now imagine a slot equal to half the the length of the locking lug is machined out from the middle of each lug. That would make the Rem 700 a 4 lug action and in the process would double the bearing area but reduce the shear area.

The amount of shear area has it limits for two reasons. Firstly, no matter how long the locking lug is the locking recesses will set limits. Secondly, even if the lugs were a foot long they would still compress and set back at the point where the lug bears.

If you look at the breech of artillery and naval guns you will see that the lock up system is an interrupted thread and an interrupted thread is what a Mark V uses.

So speaking of bearing area the 9 lug system - the bottom line is that there is more bearing area because there IS more bearing area...

There is no comparison the Mark V is a stronger and better action period.

Now just for a little extra - You need to multiply the base area of the lug where it is machined out of the bolt. This will give sheer area. If you find out the area you will find why the military uses this breach system instead of a 2 or 3 lug system. I dare any one to put any rifle or make through the same tests Roy Weatherby did while developing the Mark V. This is true testimony to the shear strength of it. If any one isn't aware of how he tested it, here it is. He jammed a bullet up in the barrel (several times of varying weights) then loaded a live round behind it and sent it down range. Did you get that, he sent the bullet and bullets down range. The Mark V took it and did not give.

But more than anything it is like Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, I just like to shoot and hunt with a Mark V.
.................Well! Well!....Then you should be able to reload about 5 to 10 grains over the book maximums!!! Crunch that powder up real good with some REAL sweet compressed loads!!..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, that is not something I practice. Even though they take a lot I stay with in pressures set for the cartridge I am loading. No need to stretch when I am getting good velocities and accuracy. 8)

bullet":200iv9ji said:
No, that is not something I practice. Even though they take a lot I stay with in pressures set for the cartridge I am loading. No need to stretch when I am getting good velocities and accuracy.
................I know! I was just kidding!........The MK5 is no doubt the stongest bolt action out there! Perhaps some overkill? But as long as good reloading practices are observed, all NON defective good bolt actions will have sufficient strength to load to any individual rifle`s max. and give long service!...........If the Howa actions and barrels are good enough for Weatherby to put in their Vanguards, then its good enough for me to own an M1500 when ever my Howa comes in!.........Basically what I will really have then, is a Weatherby Vanguard, chambered in the 375 Ruger, which was developed by Hornady`s R&D, with a Hogue stock, called a Howa, which is distributed by Legacy Sports!.....As Rodney use to say,,,"What a crowd!" "What a crowd!"............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah it is like pickup trucks, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota and such, which ever one you really like buy it. :lol:

Bullet,

Your choice of the Weatherby MK5 is fine with me. For my own reasons it would be about the last choice. I did own one made by Sauer in .378 for a while.

As to how the lugs are cut does not matter much to me. The fact that they seem to work ok but no better than other actions is ok too but not an advantage as I see none in the MK5 design.

Once the lugs and action are heat treated I doubt they all line up as you infer anyway..

To me the MK5 is a much too heavy action lacking many of the necessary features that I want in a rifle such as CRF, a safety that locks the firing pin, traditional style, and other reasons.

To each his own.

Savage99, There are a lot of folks who feel as you do and as in any action there is inherent weaknesses in all actions. I just happen to like it and my 375Wby with bases, rings and scope weighs 8.6 pounds and that is not bad and the 06 which is 6 lug and 28% lighter weighs 6 1/2 pounds with scope bases, rings and scope weighs 7.8 pounds. There are in my opinion a lot of advantages which out weigh the weaknesses but I am not trying to convince anyone, I was just stating why I lean to the Mark V.

As for the question as to whether the lugs all make contact or not, I have not tested my own, nor have I witnessed any tests, but I did speak with a competent gunsmith once who said he checked a 300Wby with layout blue and determined that all nine lugs were in contact, albeit one only about 50-60%, while the other eight were in contact 90% or so each. I can't vouch for every one, but I can say that in testing, the Mark V action has held together at significantly higher pressures than any other action on the planet. Does that mean I'm going to get rid of my Remingtons, Winchesters, Brownings, and the like? Certainly not. It does, however, give the Mark V a strength advantage over other designs, which might be useful in some situations. Your mileage may vary.

Bullet,

Your opinion of locking lug engagement on the Mark V would be refuted by every custom rifle smith that I have used and I've used quite a few over the years.

I have had many Mark V rifles and have had several of them reworked by competent gunsmiths. All of them basically had the same opinion of the 9 locking lug arrangement and of Weatherby factory barrels. They spoke poorly of them both.

That being said, if a rifle shoots, who cares how many lugs it has or how they get it to do so. I have had accurate Mark V's but have found Remingtons easier to find accurate loads for and much easier to get fully customized.

Weatherbys are like Harley Davidsons, many people just love the look and feel of them and performance is far less important.

I'm putting on my fire retardant suit now so let the flames begin! :lol:

You won't need the suit there won't be flames. You and others certainly have the right to hold opinions and feel strongly about them. I know many gunsmiths that do feel different and my customs they have built and their accuracy are testament to the above. I do respect your opinions and notions that you feel are valid.

Well, seems that a person spends their own money when buying a rifle....Get what you want!! I like the weatherbys and how they shoot. I think. Ah, who cares what I think. I'm goin' to the range......

CC.

Back